Samsung LT24E310ND - 24" 14V TV from Costco - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #1

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Samsung LT24E310ND - 24" 14V TV from Costco

Hi All,

Like many here, I have not gotten a TV for my trailer (currently an '87 Bigfoot 5er). But sometimes it's rainy or whatever and I just want to relax with a DVD.

I found this Samsung LT24E310ND LCD/LED TV at my local Costco, but it's available online for $95 (I paid more last week)!

It's a 24" TV with 178 degree angles of view, both vertical and horizontal. It's labled as a monitor/HDTV, but at 720p, it would not be my first choice as a monitor. As a TV it's delightful and weighs less than 8 pounds.

It has an external power brick whose output I measured at 14.3V. The brick says 2.5A at 14V. The power connector is 6.3mm OD x 3.0mm ID with the center pin being positive. I ordered such a connector and spliced it onto a cigarette lighter plug. It fit perfectly in to the TV. My trailer is under the weather at the moment, so I took the TV out to my F150 and plugged it into a cigarette lighter. It worked great!

I ordered a 6.3/3.0 male to 5.5/2.1 female right-angle adapter on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/291530428340. The right angle will put less strain on the connector. This will go into the back of the TV. The 5.5/2.1 end is a very common size.

I also ordered a 5.5/2.1 car power cord on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172363161515. This comes with a 3A inline fuse. The two together with provide exactly what the TV needs.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Hi All,

Like many here, I have not gotten a TV for my trailer (currently an '87 Bigfoot 5er). But sometimes it's rainy or whatever and I just want to relax with a DVD.

I found this Samsung LT24E310ND LCD/LED TV at my local Costco, but it's available online for $95 (I paid more last week)!

It's a 24" TV with 178 degree angles of view, both vertical and horizontal. It's labled as a monitor/HDTV, but at 720p, it would not be my first choice as a monitor. As a TV it's delightful and weighs less than 8 pounds.

It has an external power brick whose output I measured at 14.3V. The brick says 2.5A at 14V. The power connector is 6.3mm OD x 3.0mm ID with the center pin being positive. I ordered such a connector and spliced it onto a cigarette lighter plug. It fit perfectly in to the TV. My trailer is under the weather at the moment, so I took the TV out to my F150 and plugged it into a cigarette lighter. It worked great!

I ordered a 6.3/3.0 male to 5.5/2.1 female right-angle adapter on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/291530428340. The right angle will put less strain on the connector. This will go into the back of the TV. The 5.5/2.1 end is a very common size.

I also ordered a 5.5/2.1 car power cord on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172363161515. This comes with a 3A inline fuse. The two together with provide exactly what the TV needs.
Thanks for doing the research on this! We picked up one of these at our local Costco on Friday, but have not even opened the box yet. I'm placing my order for the connectors now.
Chuck
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

It has an external power brick whose output I measured at 14.3V. The brick says 2.5A at 14V. The power connector is 6.3mm OD x 3.0mm ID with the center pin being positive. I ordered such a connector and spliced it onto a cigarette lighter plug. It fit perfectly in to the TV. M
That was last week's project for me, but with the 19" one, better suited for our 19.

Lucky for me, I never throw potentially usable stuff out so I looked throgh a box of old transformers and found a 6.3mm plug to splice in.

I was going to put a 12-14 volt step-up converter on the line but I ran it on an old junked 12 volt battery. The voltage soon got down to 12.1 which is lower than my trailer batteries ever are and the picture stayed perfect so I'll skip installing a step-up converter.

I was happy to find one with the external brick. I'd rather run it more efficiently directly from my battery.

Thanks for the link to the 90* connector, that might be handy to have.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That was last week's project for me, but with the 19" one, better suited for our 19.

Lucky for me, I never throw potentially usable stuff out so I looked throgh a box of old transformers and found a 6.3mm plug to splice in.

I was going to put a 12-14 volt step-up converter on the line but I ran it on an old junked 12 volt battery. The voltage soon got down to 12.1 which is lower than my trailer batteries ever are and the picture stayed perfect so I'll skip installing a step-up converter.

I was happy to find one with the external brick. I'd rather run it more efficiently directly from my battery.

Thanks for the link to the 90* connector, that might be handy to have.

Ron
Thanks for the info Ron, I also have a Samsung 19" which I bought last fall. I used it the last couple of dry camping trips with the brick connected to a 75 watt converter which worked out fine. But now I will source the plug and connect directly to the 12 volt to eliminate the step up conversion losses.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Thanks for the info Ron, I also have a Samsung 19" which I bought last fall. I used it the last couple of dry camping trips with the brick connected to a 75 watt converter which worked out fine. But now I will source the plug and connect directly to the 12 volt to eliminate the step up conversion losses.
I think it's a great TV, the uncompressed picture using my OTA was even better than I expected.

I don't have any problem using inverters but in this case, taking 12 volts, bumping it up to 110 volts only to transform it back down to 12 volts, a double hit, just didn't make sense.

Where do you mount or put your tv when you're watching it?

Ron
Old 11-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
I think it's a great TV, the uncompressed picture using my OTA was even better than I expected.

I don't have any problem using inverters but in this case, taking 12 volts, bumping it up to 110 volts only to transform it back down to 12 volts, a double hit, just didn't make sense.

Where do you mount or put your tv when you're watching it?

Ron
I use the optional arm provided by Escape, great quality and its mounted in my 17B by the large dinette on the fridge wall. I use the smaller dinette as a bed, my sitting area is the large dinette. Easy to remove when travelling, just unscrew the last connection at the TV mount and leave the rest of the arm in place. Placement seems just fine tilted slightly down for optimum viewing.

I wasn't sure regarding the voltage tolerance +- to the nominal 14 volts and Samsung show's no tolerance in their spec, I couldn't find that information on line either. So I used the inverter last fall, now I know from your comment the picture is stable right down to 12 volts I will fabricate a cord for direct 12 volt supply. Thank again, as always provide us with good tips.
2019 KC the Beagle
Old 12-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #7

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:

Oops!

This connector finally arrived from China and it DOESN'T FIT. Well dang I say!

That means the other item won't be useful because it's intended to use with this.

All I can tell you for sure is that the jack below, ordered from Amazon does fit into the TV. I soldered it onto a cable with the cigarette lighter connector and the TV works fine.

uxcell 5Pcs DC Plug Cable Jack Power Supply Male Connector 6mmx1mmx9mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H8VWI40..._hoBwybSZYKEC2

Sorry for the bad info!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Mutter curse Still waiting for mine to arrive.

I have one that I soldered together so I'm not stuck. I'll wait till it arrives and see if I can use it.

Ron
Old 12-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I miss our old neighborhood RadioShack store. The manager always knew just what I needed for my latest project, and about half the time he had it in stock....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I miss our old neighborhood RadioShack store. The manager always knew just what I needed for my latest project, and about half the time he had it in stock....
I actually miss the old Radio Shack stores (pre Source) here in Canada. They stocked a really good variety of DIY electronic components, but now alas they actually have very little other than run of the mill packaged assemblies.
2019 KC the Beagle
Old 12-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #11

I agree, Radio Shack was a really good source of electronic parts for many years. It was disappointing that they gradually faded from being a electronic parts supplier to a consumer electronics retailer.

The plus side in Vancouver is that we now have some really good dedicated electronic supply stores with a large amount of parts. When I need something now Radio Shack doesn't even cross my mind.

Ron
Old 12-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Radio Shack is still around. A manager at one told me there were about 2500 stores left in the U.S. If you can find one, they carry a wide assortment of interchangeable center-conductor DC adapter plugs that fit into a two-prong socket that you can splice into your power supply. They also have 12V cigarette lighter-style plugs and 120V transformers that can use those DC adapter plugs.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
I agree, Radio Shack was a really good source of electronic parts for many years. It was disappointing that they gradually faded from being a electronic parts supplier to a consumer electronics retailer.

The plus side in Vancouver is that we now have some really good dedicated electronic supply stores with a large amount of parts. When I need something now Radio Shack doesn't even cross my mind.

Ron
Radio Shack was just really handy; usually when I needed to fix something which by default was after work or on the weekend when Calgary's electronic supply stores were closed.
2019 KC the Beagle