Scaled-down and light items - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We nearly always camp with a power hookup. We are boondockers only as a last resort unlike others who always boondock. Kitchen items we bring along are:
-An induction burner which we use for cooking smelly things like fish, shrimp and crab boil and anything fried in oil which splatters, all of which we cook on the induction burner outside the trailer. All our pots and pans are suitable for both stovetop and induction cooking.
-Small InstantPot which we use inside or outside the trailer
-Keurig (knockoff) for coffee. Other coffee making methods like French press require time for clean up and we would rather be doing something else.
-Electric heater since it never quits working in the middle of the night unlike the Dometic furnace.
-Toaster
-Small vacuum cleaner
We have dedicated kitchen items for the trailer so we don't have to move things from house to trailer and back for each trip.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I found a nesting storage container set which I love. it's similar to this one.https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds It helps keep ziplock usage to a minimum, and square or rectangular fits everywhere, especially in the refrigerator, much better than round. it stores in the footprint of the largest container.

For cookware, it's just me. I use a nesting GSI set I've had for 12 years...med and small frying pan which double as lids for medium and small saucepan. Also carry a bigger frypan with folding handle and a pot for boiling water that holds about a half gallon. If my grands are along I carry a lightweight griddle for pancakes/french toast and grilled cheese.

I also carry the 3 qt instant pot and an electric kettle if i'm going to have electricity.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Adding this: I don't know if the drawers are all the same size, but in my 17, this very light bin fits on top of the silverware and other bins i have in the drawers, allowing for extra storage of small items that are not as frequently used--corkscrew, bottle opener, measuring spoons, etc . I keep it pushed toward the back and can slide it forward to access contents, but it doesn't block the underneath items. https://www.containerstore.com/s/fea...uctId=11003193 i really wish there were three "less deep" drawers rather than two whose height seems to waste space.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
i really wish there were three "less deep" drawers rather than two whose height seems to waste space.
I solved that problem by buying two drawer toppers from RVWidgetWorks (tractors1).
Attached Thumbnails
DrawerTopper-1.JPG   DrawerTopper-2.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Good thread topic! A couple smaller/lighter items we use...

MEC picnic table bug shelter and MEC roll up camp table. The shelter weighs about 12 lbs and the table is about 14 lbs. They both easily fit under the bed. The shelter takes 5 to 10 mins to set up, so not as convenient as a clamshell.
Attached Thumbnails
hootenany.jpg   camp table xl.jpg  
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Good thread topic! A couple smaller/lighter items we use...

MEC picnic table bug shelter and MEC roll up camp table. The shelter weighs about 12 lbs and the table is about 14 lbs. They both easily fit under the bed. The shelter takes 5 to 10 mins to set up, so not as convenient as a clamshell.
In our 15B, we use the same MEC camp table as you show in your post. Although I always expect high quality from MEC purchases, the quality of this table exceeded my expectations and I would highly recommend it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Dave and Michael- great products! Finding a light, foldable table is on my list as well. This one looks light enough for me to handle. Ditto for the tent. Love that they may take up less space than other options.

My outfitting list has been changed and enhanced by seeing these products. I’m learning how others have solved the “needed” items while keeping within the parameters of space and weight.
Please keep these products coming, folks...it looks like sharing this knowledge will help all of us! Especially those who are new to the Escape experience, or those who weren’t aware of such products.

THANK YOU!!!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #28

Donna and H2Owmn-
A huge thank you for you, too! Love the products and links you shared. They effectively double the space! Very innovative. Donna, I also appreciated the links for the collapsible kitchen items. “Flat” is in!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They also make collapsible pots and pans https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
we purchased 2 different sizes
I never knew there was collapsible cookware. Looks very handy! Thanks, Jim, for the idea and link.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #30

Trailer: TBD
I use this GSI stainless steel nesting cookset but substitute an 8" Lodge frying pan w/glass lid for the set's stainless one. But I got the set for about 1/2 the Amazon price on sale from REI.
https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-...s%2C244&sr=8-1

I also use 6 place setting 1950 era GI chow utensils with the knives sharpened so they can be used for food prep as well as eating. The fork and spoon are large enough to use for food prep too. They are not fashionable but highly functional.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also like Corning Correl plates and bowls. They nest, are durable and microwave proof. A large variety are available at Walmart and the large bowls can be had with lids to us for food storage.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I also like Corning Correl plates and bowls.
We like Corelle, too. It is no longer a Corning product, but is the same stuff.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I like Corelle- at home. I would not take it camping because when it does break it shatters in to thousands of little shards and would be difficult to clean up enough in a trailer or at a campsite.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
The latest thing we bought for the escape was two Gotham copper color frying pans that are a smallish and square shape from Walmart. They are about 6 inches and 7 inches maybe. They came two in the package, about $39 in Canada.

They worked way better than the Teflon stuff we had and the square shape allowed me to cook more at a time.

Anyways, when we got home we bought another set for the house and another set for the cabin.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have had a major accident with a full set of Corelle, it was scattered everywhere in the trailer, and only a couple pieces broke. We have used it for near 30 years in our trailers and would not think of using another thing.

Mind you, I would not use it at home unless I had to.

I would never use paper in the trailer either, just too crappy to use, and what a waste.

But, we are all different, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Dish drying mat from Bed Bath and Beyond is lightweight and takes up little storage space. Ours hangs on the fridge wall, next to the door, to dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Stove cover : drying mat.jpg  
Old 10-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Dish drying mat from Bed Bath and Beyond is lightweight and takes up little storage space. Ours hangs on the fridge wall, next to the door, to dry.
My wife loves that store, I'll have no problem asking her to pick up one of these.

Thanks Glen
Old 10-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A couple of the more useful things we've acquired for travel or camping.

Salt & Pepper shakers that do not leak when tipped over, and the salt does not clump in.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A couple knife guards.

Lee Valley Suction Hook, I attach it just outside the door.
Suction Hook - Lee Valley Tools

Stay Put clothes hangers (had to change the bar to the right size)
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-1200.../dp/B000NJ97C0

Glen already got the dish pad.

Cut off socks to cover the coffee mugs

And if you really want to get serious about saving space, a GI can opener.

https://www.amazon.com/GI-P-38-Can-O.../dp/B005EAIXAU

It goes along just cause it's part of camping.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #38

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I would not take it camping because when it does break it shatters into thousands of little shards and would be difficult to clean up enough in a trailer or at a campsite.
I have to disagree. If you walk around barefoot you will find every single one of those shards.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I like Corelle- at home. I would not take it camping because when it does break it shatters in to thousands of little shards and would be difficult to clean up enough in a trailer or at a campsite.
Yes, I've had two items break when they fell out of an upper cabinet and were hit by other falling objects... but I carry a battery-powered vacuum, and had no problem with cleanup. Any glass item carries a similar risk, although failures of the tempered glass Corelle (and Pyrex) are particularly dramatic. The alternatives are presumably plastic or metal plates and bowls.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
StuFF

We took everything out of the Casita when we sold her last month..if it fit the 17 cassy it sure better fit the E21 WE got the built-in MW but had it mounted below the range..no oven. Holly does not cook in the camper much..she's "on vacation" she says, with a grin. Got the extra "wardrobe cabinet" on the driver side (above the 2 drawer cabinet) and had BOTH wardrobe-sized cabinets mounted at the top..(Holly liked the look of both big cabinets up top) So, the 'original MW cabinet' is relegated to down under the wardrobe cabinet.
Also had a couple of vents installed on the rear of the big bed frame box....to help air out the under-bed area. ETI is great for doing special requests!!! Dang if they aren't!! ;-)
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote