Seat Cushion Thickness - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 E21
Seat Cushion Thickness

We're considering ordering 6" seat cushions for the dinette (based on the recommendation of a certain Harley-riding CPA who was kind enough to show us his rig). Jim suggested that the thicker cushions were both more comfortable and afforded a better view out the window. We will not be using the dinette for sleeping. For those of you who have the standard 4" cushions (and who also do not have a need to covert the dinette for sleeping), based on your experience, what do you think of the idea 6" seat cushions.

(Obviously, we're getting down to the nitty-gritty on our build list.)

Glenn
Old 10-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
If cost is not a problem, upgrade everything!
As for a better view out the window...I don't see how 2" will make that much of a difference. Do you think you will be missing out on the lower 2" of the available view? If you happen to be 2" taller would the upper portion of the view now be cut off?
IMO you're over thinking a seat cushion.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
If cost is not a problem, upgrade everything!
As for a better view out the window...I don't see how 2" will make that much of a difference. Do you think you will be missing out on the lower 2" of the available view? If you happen to be 2" taller would the upper portion of the view now be cut off?
IMO you're over thinking a seat cushion.

It's not a cost issue/2" will not make a difference to me/might be better for Vella/over thinking is what I do.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
In our experience, the standard cushions have been comfortable to sit on, not to sleep on. We improved the sleep comfort with a 3" gel-foam topper - a slight hassle when we convert daily, but worth it. Seating height is a non-issue.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrek View Post
In our experience, the standard cushions have been comfortable to sit on, not to sleep on. We improved the sleep comfort with a 3" gel-foam topper - a slight hassle when we convert daily, but worth it. Seating height is a non-issue.

Thanks for the insights.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have not slept on the dinette, but a friend who did told us it was very firm; fine if you like that sort of thing...

Our solution for the visibility issue, so far at least, is simply to use two layers. When one of us is sitting at the dinette reading, we tend to lean back against the bathroom wall with feet up on the seat. If there's something outside to see, the back cushion gets put on top of the seat cushion, and that gives enough extra height to improve visibility.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
If there's something outside to see, the back cushion gets put on top of the seat cushion, and that gives enough extra height to improve visibility.
A fine idea. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #8

Is the dinette window in the 19' higher than in the 17' or is the dinette table and bench seating lower? I don't understand the visibility problem. Is the 2" going to make a difference? I would think that once sat upon the 2" would compress to 3/4".
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

Trailer: None
When I sat at the front dinette in CPAHarley2008 (Jim's) 19'. I found that my eyes hit right at the bottom frame of the window. And I am 5'7". Jim told me that the height of the window was necessary for the bunk bed option. He also said that Escape had given him cushions that were higher to make up for some of that. But I was not happy, I would want to sit at the dinette and be able to see directly out the windows, not just look up at tree tops.

If I were to choose the Escape 19', I would want the rear dinette with the lower windows. Or have the dinette raised (I would not need a bunk bed) so that I could see straight out those windows.

Rosemary

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Trailer: none
I was also concerned about the height of the cushions. In my 19, I have the u shaped rear dinette which I asked Reace to raise 2". Although only 5'3" I can easily see outside. The front bed is perfect as it is well below the windows so I don't have a draft on my neck ...
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #11

I think I figured out the difference in viewing area between the 17, the 19 and the 21footer. I've got the old style front window. The type that opens. I believe its larger in both H and W.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Change in window was because the manufacturer of the old window/rock guard combo stopped making them. Escape had to find another source. and the window was a different size.