Seating area / back support improvements on 17B? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2018, 01:15 AM   #1

Trailer: Lookin'
Seating area / back support improvements on 17B?

In my Escape 17B, my back is quick to hurt due to lack of support on the cushions provided. Given my profile, I find the rear of the sitting area is quite far back, and furthermore there is no upper back support. You can't turn the cushion vertical due to the curvature and window interfering, and I understand why they had to make it so short - the same cushion has to fit as a bed.

Has anyone found a good solution that will allow one to sit for a couple hours without pain?

-Paul
pc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We bought several pool noodles. One behind the upper cushion, it moves the lower edge of the upper cushion forward and fits our bodies better. The 2nd cushion we insert in the fabric of the upper cushion, move it up and down until it rests at the arch of our backs. A 4" noodle for the behind the cushion and a 3" inside the cushion is what works for us. We paid less than $4 each for the noodles, so experiments are not too expensive.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have used 2 of these in my Escape for past 5-7 years with success.....
Attached Thumbnails
chocolate-3eb.jpg  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:03 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I read this right, it's when attempting to sit with your back to the rear wall? If so, the best I've come up with is a couple 18"x18" throw pillows. I also use the noodle (bigger diam ones) along the bottom of the side cushions for sitting at the table and a high density 1" foam piece under the seat cushion as I sink through after a while. It works out okay but not great.

By the way, you might want to change your trailer from "Lookin" to 17B.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We also use an over-sized pool noodle (4.5" O.D.) to angle the back cushion. Works for us for common dinner table activities. Still not the most comfortable for long duration like watching a movie.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09513.jpg   DSC09514.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Comfortable inside seating falls into the category of one of the biggest complaints about owning an small all-molded-towble. I own a Lafuma, so can get plenty comfortable when being outside. That's all weather dependent. I wish I could find a method to be just as comfortable inside. Because that need IS weather dependent or when the sun goes down... I've had back surgery and some seating, while comfortable for about 5 minutes, is a killer shortly after.

Sigh.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've mentioned this before, but it may be worth repeating. I replaced the front cushions in my 17B with two West Marine High Backed Chairs. While Donna tried mine at the Boler rally & found the back too straight, it can be (with difficulty) adjusted so the back slopes.

A couple of photos on my 17B Modifications page.

I currently have one in my 21, replacing the passenger side bench & back cushions, and find it far more comfortable than the standard cushions (I have the "U" shaped dinette, and the chair is about the same size as the cushions). I carry the stock cushions in plastic bags in the truck so I can still make a rear bed...
Old 11-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Comfortable inside seating falls into the category of one of the biggest complaints about owning an small all-molded-towble. I own a Lafuma, so can get plenty comfortable when being outside. That's all weather dependent. I wish I could find a method to be just as comfortable inside. Because that need IS weather dependent or when the sun goes down... I've had back surgery and some seating, while comfortable for about 5 minutes, is a killer shortly after. Sigh.
Donna: If you are traveling solo can't the Lafuma be used inside in the aisle? The 5.0TA should have plenty of width. It's not a perfect solution, but may provide an acceptable alternative when the need arises. Then just fold it up and place it back outside. My father used to use a folding chair in his Scamp 16. The back dinette was usually made up as a bed and he found the side dinette not very comfortable for extended lengths of time when reading.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Donna: If you are traveling solo can't the Lafuma be used inside in the aisle? The 5.0TA should have plenty of width. It's not a perfect solution, but may provide an acceptable alternative when the need arises.
And I have done that and probably will in the future. Although I did find out I had to be careful and pay attention because of the way the bathroom door swings.

I've actually thought about buying an el-cheapo zero gravity lounger and cutting the legs off, affixing the shortened legs to a piece of wood, removing the cushions in the lounge and sticking the chair in the corner so the chair will lay back and the foot will come up... a bit.

There has to be a solution for me, I just have to figure it out

ON EDIT: This is a case of you don't know what you don't know until your eyes are opened. I was so flippin' excited about getting the layout for the 5.0TA and knew I wanted a comfortable 'lounge,' I didn't truly think ahead of what that meant.

NOW, I wish I would have gotten the regular dinette and still no table mounted. I probably could have gotten an RV lounger... they're smaller than for sticks 'n bricks homes... and fit that between the side cabinetry in the dinette, since my trailer doesn't have the step up in the back. I've even thought about tearing out the u-shape and rebuilding to regular, but that would entail moving the dual 6-volts and all the electrical contained in the back cabinet. I don't have the skills to accomplish this work.

Hummm, still thinking....
Old 11-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
sell it and order a new one without the U.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #11

Trailer: Lookin'
Genius, thanks for the great ideas..

I should clarify when I'm sitting around I'm typically on a laptop working for a few hours, so the need for back support without leaning back is also present as my hands will be on the table.

I have considered a camp chair in the hallway. It would work but be tight. However, most camp chairs aren't made for a posture condusive of eating or working.
pc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
sell it and order a new one without the U.
, not a chance. I love Ten Forward. I'll figure it out. Shopping for a cheap zero gravity chair now. But, I want one with padding. My Lafuma has mesh. I think a padded chair would be better for inside.

Hummmmm....
Old 11-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I believe that Jerri's original interest in modifying their 21' to accommodate two twin beds (one front, one rear) was to create floor space for a "comfy chair" near the bath (see link). http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post267298
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Totally agree with Cpaharley. We have used identical armed pillows in the seating area. Provides the lumbar support you are seeking as well as compensating for the fact that the seat is too deep in the first place. We also love putting them in opposite corners of the bed thereby creating two lounge/reading spaces with expansive views to the outside. Put them together on one side of the bed and you have a space to view media on your computer propped up on a box between you.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Totally agree with Cpaharley. We have used identical armed pillows in the seating area. Provides the lumbar support you are seeking as well as compensating for the fact that the seat is too deep in the first place. We also love putting them in [I]opposite corners of the bed thereby creating two lounge/reading spaces with expansive views to the outside. Put them together on one side of the bed and you have a space to view media on your computer propped up on a box between you.
[/I]

You guys are spending way too much time in bed....
Old 11-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 17A
I also have a bad back so understand your problem. I have a couple of small, soft cushions that I place against the back of the seat and it not only moves me forward a bit but provides support for my back.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
[/I[/B]]

You guys are spending way too much time in bed....
Nighttime, it's at nighttime!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #18

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I use a pillow from Select Comfort/Sleep by Number. Can't remember exactly what it's called - something for sitting in bed and reading. It's very thick, esp at the bottom and provides tons of support for my back. I have 2, as Dirk really likes it too. I lounge against it a lot as I like to read while stretched out in the u-shaped dinette (with one filler board in place). And snuggly fleece blankets all around.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I have a couple of decorative pillows that work well for me and they're pretty when not in use. The large owl pillow in the photo goes up against the seat back with the smaller monogrammed one in front of it giving me lumbar support and pushing me forward enough to reach the table to eat. Sometimes I also have a dog behind my back on top of the pillows.

I also use the larger one along with my bed pillows to prop up in bed to read and the smaller one fits in that space between the back cushions (which are shorter than the table) and the wall when the dinette is made into the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9614.jpg  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I have a little oblong lumbar support cushion I use on the dinette bench. I'd bought it for the car a couple years before at I think Walmart, but it didn't really work for the car seat. It keeps my back from hurting even though I spend several hours a day on the computer for work, but it doesn't look nearly as good as that West Marine chair/cushion. I might have to get one of those...
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote