Seattle traffic, never been - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2017, 05:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 17
Seattle traffic, never been

Following up on advenas question, anyone have advice for getting around seattle traffic coming up from I-5 Oregon, getting to Sumas? I've never been to washington state before and no dogs to deal with. Thanks in advance.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Following up on advenas question, anyone have advice for getting around seattle traffic coming up from I-5 Oregon, getting to Sumas? I've never been to washington state before and no dogs to deal with. Thanks in advance.
We live about 1.5 hours south of Seattle and my when my wife worked, she drove to SEATAC airport (25 minutes south of downtown) once a week for five years. Traffic on I-5 N usually comes to a dead stop at some point (usually around Tacoma) beginning by 5am (and increasing proportionately until 9am). Google WADOT for I-5 traffic updates and adjust accordingly. Or, avoid I-5 altogether and take lesser traveled roads and see one of the most beautiful states in the country.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
We live about 1.5 hours south of Seattle and my when my wife worked, she drove to SEATAC airport (25 minutes south of downtown) once a week for five years. Traffic on I-5 N usually comes to a dead stop at some point (usually around Tacoma) beginning by 5am (and increasing proportionately until 9am). Google WADOT for I-5 traffic updates and adjust accordingly. Or, avoid I-5 altogether and take lesser traveled roads and see one of the most beautiful states in the country.
Hi: Zardoz... Is it as bad as this 18 lane parking lot in Toronto?
Picture of Hwy # 401 approaching Pearson Int. Airport. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020454.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Once again, I advise early Saturday or Sunday mornings and you will have few problems. Made many trips to Chilliwack in the past 4 years and this always works out.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Alf, after reading this thread and seeing the picture you posted, all I can say is. I'm so glad I live so far out in the country that more than five cars here is a traffic jam!
The only thing we are dealing with is 40 inches of snow since 6 am Monday morning and still snowing.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	22592 that lump by the truck is my wife's car.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
5 to Olympia, then 101 to 20 to Port Townsend, ferry to Coupeville, on up 20 to 5 again, continue north to B'ham. Bypasses ALL the traffic, gorgeous drive, ferry takes reservations.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 17
Traveling Mon-Fri, not retired so it's up and back. Nice ferry route if time allows, appreciate it Bobbie. I wonder what the names and number of those top secret "lesser traveled roads" are Zardoz . How is that outer 405 loop around Seattle during the week VS I-5 (in general). Maybe just one parking lot VS another parking lot? Thanks.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
When we're heading off to Socal etc. images of traffic in Seattle, Portland and Sacremento flick by momentarily. Sigh. But then again comes the realization that these things are part of travelling. Yup, I've come to a dead stop in all of them but as aggravating as it is, at the end of the day I've never failed to get to my destination. And it's not all bad. Sometimes things are clear sailing. Yup, try to avoid rush hours but other than that we use I-5.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Traveling Mon-Fri, not retired so it's up and back. Nice ferry route if time allows, appreciate it Bobbie. I wonder what the names and number of those top secret "lesser traveled roads" are Zardoz . How is that outer 405 loop around Seattle during the week VS I-5 (in general). Maybe just one parking lot VS another parking lot? Thanks.
405NB was a parking lot this morning. But normally- just as bad as 5 through Seattle.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
I used to live in Missouri, so if you've never been out this way before you'll likely love it. Having lived in Seattle for 17 years I'd like to suggest a nice route.

Depending on what direction you come in from, and the weather I'd suggest a drive up through Bend Oregon on Hiway 97 to Yakima WA. Then to Leavenworth, WA and over Hiway 2 to Monroe WA and north on I-5. If you'll be coming in the summer go to Wenatchee WA instead of Leavenworth and head north to Twisp, Winthrop and over Hiway 20 to Bellingham WA and then to Sumas. Beautiful drive.....beats I-5 any day.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
When we were bringing our new 21 home from Chilliwack, it took us over 4 hours to get through Seattle on a Friday afternoon, But the big surprise was how polite Seattle drivers were. If I had to switch lanes, someone always let us in. Around here, signal for a lane change and they accelerate to cut you off. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
You might have me beat on number of lanes by 4, but six of one - half dozen of another.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Traveling Mon-Fri, not retired so it's up and back. How is that outer 405 loop around Seattle during the week VS I-5 (in general). Maybe just one parking lot VS another parking lot? Thanks.
Don't even bother with 405 then. Just head up 5 is your best bet for this type of situation. 5 will usually open up past downtown Seattle (well, a bit past), however 405 can stay bogged down for most of the entire route, depending on the time of day. Unless you want to pay tolls for the northern half of it via a bill mailed to you since you won't have a Good to Go pass for it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
How is the Seattle I5 or 405 traffic on Sundays around noon?
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
5 to Olympia, then 101 to 20 to Port Townsend, ferry to Coupeville, on up 20 to 5 again, continue north to B'ham. Bypasses ALL the traffic, gorgeous drive, ferry takes reservations.
We always go this way - love it. Beautiful drive. The only delays might be elk on 101
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We always go this way - love it. Beautiful drive. The only delays might be elk on 101
We've been delayed for hours in Port Townsend because the ferry couldn't run because of high winds. It is right at the end of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, often a very windy place.

We go that route if it's part of our route or travel on the Olympic Peninsula but not as a short cut to avoid Seattle traffic.

Ron
Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #17

I live close enough that I can check predictions first. And returning home I usually stop in Olympia, check the prediction, and make a reservation if I'm headed to Port Townsend. But this time of year, you could get stuck as the winds are a little more unpredictable. On the other hand- you could get stuck on I5, too.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:52 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 2017
We went up on a thursday to friday trip tin September to finalize our build sheet and going up through Seattle was not bad we used 405 but coming home was pretty bad we drove 4 hours and went less than 100 miles going through the Seattle area.
William Pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #19

We use the Express and HOV lanes, even when towing. We find them much faster and there doesn't seem to be any restriction on using them when towing.

Sometimes there's a lineup to get into them and you watch the cars whizzing by in the regular lanes and wonder if you're doing the right thing. But we also look for distinctive vehicles so we can judge later if we've won or lost using the HOV lanes. Travelings always a bit of a crap shoot.

Ron
Old 03-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Don't even bother with 405 then. Just head up 5 is your best bet for this type of situation. 5 will usually open up past downtown Seattle (well, a bit past), however 405 can stay bogged down for most of the entire route, depending on the time of day. Unless you want to pay tolls for the northern half of it via a bill mailed to you since you won't have a Good to Go pass for it.
We took 405 thinking 5 would be a lot worse. Well, live and learn. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote