Seeking advice on 21' Escape vs 5.0 Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Advice on 21' Escape vs 5.0 Escape?

Hi there.

Anyone have any feedback on going from a 21' to a 5.0 or from a 5.0 to a 21'?

We're headed to Canada in July to try to figure it out, but would dearly love to hear from one and all on what you've experience - real life.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We have a 21' but have never been in a 5.0 other than at ETI @ Chilliwack. I really like the layout of the 5.0. Would love the bigger bed and not have bathroom right adjacent to bed. Would love to have shorter overall length with tug hooked up.

However, I'm not willing to give up storage in my pickup bed with a Leer topper. Life is full of compromises. Choose what works for you.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, I have a 21, and love it. I need the space on my truck bed with leer topper for my astronomy gear, music fest gear (tables, chairs, awnings), big coolers, water jugs, extra propane tanks, etc, so a 5th wheel is pretty much out of the question.

back of my F250 longbed with JUST my main telescope and minimum required equipment. rest of space is for tables, carpets, chairs, coolers, etc. oh, and that yellow pelican case is my old eyepiece case, the new one is bigger.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We went from a 19’ to a 5.0 and love it! Mostly because of the layout. I really like the feeling that the bedroom is a separate room because it is “upstairs.” We love not having to climb over each other to get out of bed.

Yes we lost some storage in the truck bed, but so much more room inside. I built a secure box that’s only opening is facing the locking tailgate. It is wedged between the hitch base and the tailgate. That is where we keep the grill, some tools and an extra extension cord.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
Site Team

yeah, my scope won't fit in something like that

the ramps and ladder, sure... but the scope base box plus top tube needs to be in a dry clean protected space, weighs over 100 lbs, and has to be wheelbarrowed around (you can see the handles but not the wheels in the above picture...). this is a 20" diameter f/5 scope, stands about 9 feet tall when its setup and pointed at zenith. thats a 7 foot step ladder, my old 6' wasn't tall enough for kids to reach the eyepiece safely.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:32 AM   #6
Site Team

assembled scope, with the wheel handles still on (normally they are removed)

Old 06-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Going from a E19 to a E21 was easy, and my next order was a 5.0 TA in 2016 when at the last moment freaked out over the hitch issue, what happens if Trademasters can not install a proper hitch for my tow vehicle, what happens to all my stuff I need to take out with me in the truck bed, what if I want/need to get a cap for my truck later on, what is towing a fifth wheel like, I know the pin weight is heavier than my tongue weight, I know what a pull behind feels like, is the loft colder than in a E21, the ceiling is very high in the 5.0 for those vertically challenged to reach fan controls or even the o/h cabinets, what as we age we need assist on the steps to/fro the loft, why am I getting a smaller bathroom than what I have, the 21 is plenty big, do I need something even bigger? All of these questions were spinning around in my head, I called Tammy and switched my order to a E19....and now we know the rest of the story, going back to a E21 after deciding the E19 was too small, 3 years later
Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I would focus on which layout you prefer along with bath size. We have found with an RVs there are always trade offs so you pick your priorities. We love our 5.0 for the layout and shorter trailer length with a couple of feet in the truck.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
assembled scope, with the wheel handles still on (normally they are removed)

A 20-inch Dobsonian?! Good grief! What is the faintest magnitude you can see, given ideal conditions?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have been in many different 21s and 5,0TAs. Both are great trailers in their own rights. For our purpose the 21 layout did not work very well, so went from our 19 to the 5.0TA which for it's size is just about a perfect trailer.

My only disappointment with the 5.0TA is less storage space in the bed of the truck, but we have worked around that to make it work for us.

As we plan to travel a lot over the next decade or so this is a great sized trailer, as is the 21.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, my scope won't fit in something like that

the ramps and ladder, sure... but the scope base box plus top tube needs to be in a dry clean protected space, weighs over 100 lbs, and has to be wheelbarrowed around (you can see the handles but not the wheels in the above picture...). this is a 20" diameter f/5 scope, stands about 9 feet tall when its setup and pointed at zenith. thats a 7 foot step ladder, my old 6' wasn't tall enough for kids to reach the eyepiece safely.
John, sounds like you need the coming 23'.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Both the 21 and the 5.0 are great trailers. We looked at what was best for us.

OUR Pros/Cons Favoring The 21:
  • Don't have to sell our pickup topper and install a 5th wheel hitch, but need to purchase another Blue Ox weight distribution hitch (best we've ever owned!).
  • About 1 cubic foot more usable space in the pickup bed (we've figured out how to pack around a 5th wheel hitch),
  • Slightly larger kitchen.
  • Larger bath,
  • No steps to climb into the bed,
OUR Pros/Cons Favoring The 5.0
  • Bed/steps create the illusion of a separate bedroom,
  • Don't enter the camper directly into the bed,
  • Storage easily accessible in the steps of the 5.0, rather than hidden under the bed. Don't want to get on my hands and knees for the storage under the bed of the 21. (we've added a flip-up step for storage under the top step too),
  • Upper clothes storage available next to the bed in the 5.0 and double the upper storage cabinets.
  • Enclosed LP tanks in the 5.0 with room for our garden/fill hoses and extra LP hose for the 13# tank for our outside grill/stove.
  • Great enclosed storage above the LP tank storage. The storage box argument for the 21 is becomes a moot point.
  • The larger interior height gives a more spacious interior and more room for storage
  • 5th wheels pull without sway. Don't need to adjust a WDH.
  • 5.0 fits in a smaller camping space when still hooked to the pull.
  • After careful measurements (thanks Chotch!) one trike fits easily in the bed of the truck and the other rides on the back of the 5.0. We never would have done that with the 21 and the capped truck box would be packed and hard to get into.
  • A queen bed was mandatory, so that is what really made the decision for the 5.0 final.

All of us have a tendency to justify what we currently have. I acknowledge that has been done with me too. Also, I'm sure I've also missed other pros/cons for each trailer.

We made a list when going back home last June with our Lance camper. Gori, glean what you learn on this forum and make a list that applies to you.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
A 20-inch Dobsonian?! Good grief! What is the faintest magnitude you can see, given ideal conditions?
my chart software goes down to 18th mag stars and I can often see faint stars that aren't on the chart.... diffuse galaxies down to around 12th mag are easy and show form against a dark sky, dimmer than that requires some serious averted vision and careful teasing out.

this particular scope has a Galaxy mirror which is absolutely superb quality optically.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #14

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
We have a E21 and my reason for the 21 over the 5.0T/A is much the same as the others. We have a Leer cap on our truck and I would hate to loose the storage. I really like the look of the 5.0TA and would have gone that way except for the fiberglass cap on the truck. I also thought that if I ever sell the 21 the market may have more buyers as a SUV can pull the 21.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:18 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've got a low mileage 8' A.R.E. cap for my truck. It sits on a set of horses in the back yard, where it's been for the 5 years I've had the 5.0TA. If anyone wants it, come on over.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While the lesser storage space in the box towing the 5.0TA changes, especially if used to stowing stuff in the tow vehicle, it is possible to adapt as I have had to do. Having a dog along uses up more space in the large rear of our truck cab, but he is still fairly young at 11 and just loves to come so that space needs to wait for a bunch of years too. We will survive.

One other thing that we love with the 5.0TA is the ceiling space due to sloping up to the loft. It makes the trailer feel a lot bigger for it;s given size.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have bought a 21 for 2 major reasons

1) A 5.0 would require a new / different tow vehicle , an expense we wished to avoid
2) A 5.0 requires going up and down steps at night in order to use the bathroom .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
We love our 50 TA! It tows great, besides looking really cool, shorter overall length compared to bumper pull, queen size bed and plenty of storage that is easily accessible. Granted I don’t have the full pickup bed but there is more available space than most would think, especially if using the Anderson hitch. So far the stairs to the loft are not a problem but then again I’m still young, not quite 70 yet😎
The cover I have has the toolbox option up front and is really handy, the whole thing can be locked when not towing as the truck has a locking tailgate.
Attached Thumbnails
DE871BF0-2AFF-4AAD-BCDE-591CFA815BD8.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... My reasoning for the 5.0TA comes down to one word..."Easy"!!! As I've written before "I do easy really well". Easy to hook up... easy to tow... easy to park and easy to live in for longer periods of time. Everthing else is an adjustment. This year we're going to find out how easy it is to give the rig a boat ride. 14 hrs. o'er night to NFLD and then after 3 weeks on "The Rock" afternoon ride back. This is where the attached shorter length will come in handy too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... My reasoning for the 5.0TA comes down to one word..."Easy"!!! As I've written before "I do easy really well". Easy to hook up... easy to tow... easy to park and easy to live in for longer periods of time. Everthing else is an adjustment. This year we're going to find out how easy it is to give the rig a boat ride. 14 hrs. o'er night to NFLD and then after 3 weeks on "The Rock" afternoon ride back. This is where the attached shorter length will come in handy too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Can’t wait to hear how that goes!!
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote