selling used Casita; recoup any initial sales taxes and registration fees? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question selling used Casita; recoup any initial sales taxes and registration fees?

Hi all

Yes I have already posted this question on the two Casita forums, but there are MANY smart people here, so i thought I'd also ask the question here.

We will soon be selling our 2011 --- 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe. Like new condition! Very low mileage.

I have never sold a used travel trailer, so I’m curious about what is customary:

When selling a used travel trailer, could the seller ever hope to recoup any of the initial *registration* fees?

and

When selling a used travel trailer, could the seller ever hope to recoup any of the initial State sales TAX fees?

and yes, I’m aware… I bet the new owner will need to pay sales tax on the used purchase price when they register it (?)

Thanks for any guidance…. I’m just about to put it on the market, for pickup in Los Angeles, CA.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When I sold my 16 ft used Scamp ( I was the 2nd owner) I got what I paid for it originally and about 50 % of the upgrade costs. The new owner had to pay sales tax , registration & license fees on the purchase . I doubt I could have gotten him to pay for my sales tax and registration fees along with paying his own.
When you sell or trade in a vehicle , they don't give you credit for sales tax and registration / license so why would a trailer be any different ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Resale price

I guess you could try. You might even find an interested party that would offer to pay you an extra thousand above your asking price. I suggest you ask yourself if you would want to pay the seller what he/she originally paid in sales tax and liscence and registration fees and then pay the same costs again to the government . I guess it's worth a try. Maybe in LA it will work.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some states will allow you to recoup your sales taxes if you trade in your unit on another one which costs more. Then you are only charged sales taxes on the difference, other states do not do this. Also the additional sales tax may be deductible on your Federal, consult with your local IRS or accountant. Registration fees are not refundable anywhere that I know of nor deductible.
Interesting enough there is an excise tax on your Escapee if you do not register it with your local DMV and is is the same amount as the local sales tax, so the states do follow up on that.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Guess I just don't understand the question. You want to know if the state will reimburse you for reg and or sales tax on the trailer you've have for 5 years? Kind of like a pro rated sales tax? Never heard of such.

Best we can do here is you get reimbursed part of your local property tax for the year, based on the date you sell the trailer. It's up to you to inform the tax collectors office.

I'd listen to Jim (cpaharley).
Old 07-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

To clarify

By recoup

I mean - get back - as part of the price I am able to sell it for.

So just built into what the buyer pays me.

Not as a separate fee. Not a separate line item.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recoup

So not reimbursed from the government. Just recoup.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #7

You can ask what you like, including fees and improvements you paid and made and the buyer will try and subtract depreciation and wear and tear and age resulting in the actual selling price being somewhere in between the two set points.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The price is just the price - as you say, it's not itemized. That price depends on what people are willing to pay for it, regardless of what it cost to buy, and whether that cost is purchase price, taxes and other fees, upgrades, or any other way you've found to spend money.

Although people often mention the original price of a trailer when selling it, that really only helps to describe how well-equipped it is.. although they may be trying to justify their selling price. If someone paid too much for trailer when new, that doesn't make it worth more later; conversely, if someone else gets a killer deal on a new trailer, that doesn't make it worth less later.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Looking for 15b
When I am buying a used trailer I look at the original selling price (not including any taxes etc the buyer may have paid) plus if there are any really desirable mods then would be looking for a discount for age, condition, fact it is not new etc.
I have to pay 12% tax so not really interested what the original owner might have paid extra, thats why I am buying used
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #10

all good points.

my wife reminded me that to get a Casita to California has considerable cost, either delivery or pick up..... and Casitas in "like new" shape on the west coast are fairly rare, so that helps us.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #11

"like new" is an opinion which the buyer may not agree on, just be aware of that.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You will only get what a buyer is willing to pay. Nothing extra.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You will only get what a buyer is willing to pay. Nothing extra.

Then I just need to be patient and find the right buyer.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post

Hi: Losangeles... Selling price is what is asked... buying price is what is offered... and when the two have beat each other up enough, a deal is what is reached!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post

Not really. Most Casitas sell in less than a week. Many (mine included) in less than 1 day.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
As others have said, bottom line is what is the current market value for the trailer. We sold our 2011 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe, also in excellent condition, and with most of the options for $14,500 about 7 months ago, if that helps you at all. The buyer came from a couple hundred miles away to get it, as there aren't a lot of them in Missouri either.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #17

and remember 4 wheel drive vehicles sell better when it is winter and campers sell better in the spring and summer
Old 07-03-2016, 07:11 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Used trailer sales

Good luck on selling your Casita. I think the previous posters have covered most of the common talking points that come up when used equipment is bought and sold. Personally I have always come up with an asking price before I advertised and a this is what I would take price. Not everyone is interested in pristine condition. For many it is location, time of the year, features and options and overall practicality for their application. As several have mentioned, you can ask anything, finding someone willing to pay, when there is ease of comparison in other units for sale, allows the potential buyer to learn the market and do some comparison shopping. Not to knock your trailer but used Scamps, Casitas and Escapes are not viewed as unique or rare so you can only push the buyers so far before they look elsewhere. Good luck on your endeavor.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I dunno Dave. I'd say they're pretty "rare" when you look around the typical campground. On our way both to and from the Escape rally this year, we probably saw a total of 4 fiberglass trailers, vs thousands of stickies - over 2200 miles each way.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Robert,
What I meant was the fact that there's a few late model good, non-vintage
Fiberglass trailers for sale every week. You can find them without looking too far, or too hard but maybe you have to go far to get one. They are as you you say, a small percentage of the total number of campers out there. On Thursday afternoon we drove a Corps of Engineers campground to kill some time with my 8 year old grandson. I told him I'd give him a quarter if he spotted a fiberglass camper. He said " a quarter? What can you buy with a quarter? It's not worth looking."' Made me feel like a cheap old man, which I am and knew we would t see one anyway. As an only grandson he does ok, believe me.'
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote