Seriously...Why? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
Also keep in mind that the bathroom in a 5.0 TA is in the middle of the trailer which takes up additional aisle space compared to the bathroom in a 21 that is up in the corner.
Given that the 5.0TA bathroom does not project into the aisle any further than the refrigerator, I do not find that to be an issue. Additionally, at least 80% of my in-trailer time is spent in the bed, not in the aisle! The added 6-inch width and the "arm" room on either side of the bed is a big deal to me. And although it's short wheel base may make backing slightly more complicated, I prefer the shorter overall length for easier maneuverability at fuel stations and in my relatively tight driveway. Finally, it tows better than any bumper-tow trailer I have ever owned or used, and I did use a variety of trailers when working/prior to retiring. Those are my reasons for preferring the 5er; others may have reasons such as not wanting to need a truck as a TV. I find the F150 more comfortable to drive on longer trips than my wife's CRV or her previously owned Camry. But as Donna frequently says, YMMV.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Carl's right, the aisle width is the same on both the 21' and 5.0TA and it's because of the refrigerator. The cabinets (and bathroom door on the 5er) are flush with the refrigerator.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
In our previous trailer (a Nash) the bed was sideways like on the Escape 19 and one of us would have to crawl over the other to get to the bathroom at night. WHAT A PAIN! So, though the queen size bed was tempting, we prefer the bed on the 21. Scooting on and off of it is much easier than clambering over a sleeping partner. The first few years we were married we had a bed the same size as in the 21. We sleep better in our 21 than in our home queen sized bed, though the fresh air and exercise probably contribute to our great sleeping.

And the extra space in the aisle is awesome. In our previous trailer, once one person was at the stove or sink passage was a real squeeze.
We absolutely love our 21!

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
In our previous trailer (a Nash) the bed was sideways like on the Escape 19 and one of us would have to crawl over the other to get to the bathroom at night. WHAT A PAIN! So, though the queen size bed was tempting, we prefer the bed on the 21. Scooting on and off of it is much easier than clambering over a sleeping partner. The first few years we were married we had a bed the same size as in the 21. We sleep better in our 21 than in our home queen sized bed, though the fresh air and exercise probably contribute to our great sleeping.

And the extra space in the aisle is awesome. In our previous trailer, once one person was at the stove or sink passage was a real squeeze.
We absolutely love our 21!

Bob K
Bob. With a new 21 sitting on ETI's assembly line, that is good to hear. Even this late in the game I have sometimes wondered if we picked the correct trailer. But I'm sure when we see it for the first time, all doubts will be laid to rest. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #45
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Carl's right, the aisle width is the same on both the 21' and 5.0TA and it's because of the refrigerator. The cabinets (and bathroom door on the 5er) are flush with the refrigerator.
Good to know the street side cabinets (wardrobe closet) in the 21 are as deep as the bathroom in the 5.0. It seemed to me the bathroom in the 5.0 protruded more into the aisle way than the wardrobe closet in the 21.

But your 5.0 is the only one I've seen & that was the same day as seeing my first & only 21 so my memory must be a bit fuzzy.
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think, though not positive, that the aisle is a bit narrower in the 5.0 than the 21, as the cabinets are brought out to be flush with the bathroom. A real moot point though, as there is still a ton of room.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #47
Site Team

Someone measure the aisle in the 21'. I can grab the 5.0TA late this afternoon. That way no more speculation, but fact. I'll measure from the corner of the kitchen cabinet (next to the door) straight across to the bathroom.

Anyone with a 21' care to help?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The bath in the 5.0 is wider, therefore it must protrude out further.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #49

The aisle is 38.5" across from closet and 40.5" across from nite stand. The counter is 23.5" deep and the bath is another 7" wide to 31" width.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Not to be a smartass but the specs give you measurements on Escape . 21 -48 in .length , 31 wide . The 5 th wheel TA 40x27 .the same for 19 for bathroom sizes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #51

Not sure what you mean there Pat?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure what you mean there Pat?
Jim someone I think yesterday asked how big bathroom sizes . I didn't know at first myself . You can click on Escape on this forum down at the right and get all kinds of measurements for the trailers there . That's all . Pat
Old 08-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The bath in the 5.0 is wider, therefore it must protrude out further.
Perhaps, then that means the refrigerator has more space in the back (because it's pulled out to be flush and all the cabinets are deeper as well.

I see your measurements Jim. I'll stop by Ten Forward on my way home.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #54

For those interested in bath sizes the 19 and 5 th are about in the same configuration looking at the layouts so are the same size . The 21 is placed across in front giving more length and width to the bath area. Pat
Old 08-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #55
Site Team

The 19' Escape:
Bathroom size 40"w x 27"d x 72"h

21' Escape:
Bathroom size 31"w x 48"d x 72"h

17' Escape:
Bathroom size 37"w x 25"d x 67"h

5.0TA
Bathroom size 40"w x 27"d x 72"h
Old 08-05-2015, 09:51 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
About the 5.0TA and "wheelbase"...

The overall length of the 21' and the 5.0TA is nearly the same, and they seem to have the same size (actually the same body and frame) from the axles back, so the distance from the axles to the coupler or pin (which is at the very front in both cases) should be nearly the same - the term "wheelbase" doesn't normally apply to a trailer, but this is the closest thing to it.

Having the hitch roughly over the axle (for the 5.0) does change backing up, compared to having the hitch behind the bumper (for all other models) even for the same length (hitch to axle) of trailer. Since that hitch position difference makes the trailer less sensitive to the angle between truck and trailer, the fifth-wheel should behave somewhat like a longer trailer - that's what I've noticed using a tractor with the ball very close to the axle, compared to a pickup truck. A movement of the steering wheel produces less reaction in trailer motion than with a hitch further from the axle, or than with a shorter trailer. Precision placement is easier, but the front of the tug can end up swinging side to side a lot to get there.

If there is enough hitch-to-cab clearance, a fifth-wheel rig can turn to extreme angles especially when backing, which can be handy for tight spots. I've seen big-rig drivers get turned around in very tight places relative to the length of their rigs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Brian is absolutely correct. Wheelbase is not normally applied to a trailer. When I used the term in a previous post, I "borrowed" the term to use it in reference to the distance from the rear axle of the tow vehicle and the axle(s) of the trailer which, as he has stated, affects backing characteristics. Many people who have gone from a bumper pull to a 5er have "reported a learning curve" as the backing characteristics of the 5er differ. But it is not really any more difficult with practice. I personally find the fiberglass 5ers respond faster to changes in steering than bumper pull trailers or full sized 5th wheels I have owned or towed. But I frequently tell people who find backing up difficult to practice with a dump cart attached to a lawn tractor. Talk about fast response of a trailer to steering changes (it doesn't take much to jackknife a dump cart); if you can master that, you can back anything.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #58

Try this with your Escape trailer....
Old 08-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #59

Right now this is me getting into my back yard....
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #60
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I found I could jacknife my 21 enough to make the front storage box latch press on the taillight lens JUST ENOUGH to crack it. Missed the sheet metal, though.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote