Seriously...Why? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Smile Seriously...Why?

I been reading more than I should on this site (my wife says it's all I talk about ) but I have seen a common theme with some owners here, and that is "movin' on up". Since I have seen the 19' and 21' in person, I can understand some that would want to make the switch from a 19' to a 21'. However, what's the motivation for going from a 19' or 21' to a 5.0TA as they are quite different beasts? Is the towing easier? Is it that the sleeping arrangement are more spacious? What's the reason? Just curious...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
A fith wheel trailer does ushually tow better, that said we have had a 19 and a 21 and both towed very well. As with most things in life there are pros and cons for both sides. For me these are major ones, the 5er is shorter when towed as a chunk of it is over the bed of your truck but you are then required to own a pick up truck. Some ( myself included ) don't want to have to tow with a pick up truck. Of course there are other pros and cons but for us that was the major one so we have a 21
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The answer will vary for each person responding. The theme of moving up is not uncommon here, but it is far, far from the norm. Often it is folks first getting out camping, some for the first time in a trailer at all, let alone an Escape that may be smaller than they were used to, and while gaining experience also finding out what may work better for them. Many realize the 19 truly is best for them after time put in with the 19, or the bit more room in a 21 works better, or even more room in a 5.0 is the ticket for them.

When we bought the 19, it was the biggest Escape at the time, in fact it was brand new, and we were in on the introductory offer. It gave us everything we needed in a trailer, and in fact it still does. It provides lots of storage for our needs, and this is without the storage box. For now it is all we want or need, as we must use a bumper pull, and the 21 layout does not suit our style at all.

We do have a bit of a yearning (as displayed in my sig line), and the only way this will be a go, is if I first retire, and sell off the two vehicles I currently tow with. The draw to it, is that it has a queen sized bed, that is out of the way, which is the only real reason I don't prefer the 21 myself. Like Dave mentioned, even though longer itself, when towing overall it wouldn't be. Towablility may be a bit better, but my 19 tows like a charm, so that is not really a consideration. It does have more inside storage than the 19 or 21, but there is no capacity to add a storage box if one was desired. It also means using a pickup, which lessens the amount stored inside with an SUV, or even a pickup with a topper. Plus, it is going to be tougher to bring our canoe along, something we would have to find a solution for before purchasing.

Part of the thought of me getting a new Escape at all, is the possibility to outfit it with the options I want for retirement. Heck, at least one couple have bought the same model (the Eddys with a 19) so they could do just this themselves. But who knows, I don't that's for sure, what I will end up doing, I keep reminding myself that the 19 does truly work very well for us, and would likely do so into the future as well with just a few upgrades.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a 19 and moved up to a 21 for space reasons. I'd go with a 5.0 TA for space reasons also, I'm restricted for egress in the rear of my house. A new 5.0 TA would give me about 3 more feet of area to wrangle the trailer into my yard. Plus the newer units have improvements that some of the older ones do not have. But then there are the modifications that need to be done all over again.....
Old 08-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
I been reading more than I should on this site (my wife says it's all I talk about ) but I have seen a common theme with some owners here, and that is "movin' on up". Since I have seen the 19' and 21' in person, I can understand some that would want to make the switch from a 19' to a 21'. However, what's the motivation for going from a 19' or 21' to a 5.0TA as they are quite different beasts? Is the towing easier? Is it that the sleeping arrangement are more spacious? What's the reason? Just curious...
"the Grass is always greener on the other side of the..."
"keeping up with the Jones' "
"the 'Supreme Being's' way of saying, "you have too much money".
"the thrill of shopping for something new"
"cuz I want one"
are a few possible reasons

oh yeah and the, "I need more stuff".
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I started shopping once I came to terms that the VW camper was never coming back. I had my heart on an Airstream. Stick trailer stories scared me. During my research I found Casita, Scamp, an Escape. I was interested in something smaller than the 19' but the headroom was a problem. The three of us visited Ruthe's 19' and I didn't feel cramped. Different strokes for different folks. We are getting the 19'.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just what you said, the sleeping arrangement is better, at least for some, and it tows better. By tows better I mean it's a more solid connection so it really feels like a single unit, it's also makes a smaller overall package, by about 4 feet. Can't say I'd change if I had a 21, but then I don't have cpaharley's storage space constraints.

The big loss to me was I lost the use of my truck cap for carrying the canoes around. There are ways around it but I've yet to finish purchasing all the needed components.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A new 5.0 TA would give me about 3 more feet of area to wrangle the trailer into my yard.
Have you tried a powered dolly? With them, parking would be a snap, and much cheaper too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

Those all make sense. It just struck me that it is some sort of trailer pilgrimage, starting at the small end, and ending up with a 5.0TA. It doesn't cost a ton more than the 19' and 21', so the draw towards it perplexed me, other than a bed away from the rest. That I understand. But then you have to deal with bending over in the bed area too...

Of course, J Mac is probably on to something too. I have had buyers remorse over ordering the 21' and then waffling back and forth between that and the 19' and which one would be better suited for us. And then MarkVT posts his 19' for sale for a 5.0TA, and I feel like Homer Simpson right now. "Doh!"

Actually, we really like the 21 for the 4 of us, and then when we never retire and can't take long trips in it, it will still be a decent size for the 2 of us. But there is always that nagging doubt... But once its a done deal, I'm sure we will embrace our decision....
Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

Those who overanalyse a purchase are often the ones somewhat less satisfied with their purchase, as they now know all its weaknesses as well. I have been guilty of this on many an occasion.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

Well, at least I am in esteemed company...like you want or need that association....

However, I researched our Casita purchase pretty much to death and the results were that we really liked it...until the kids got too big. So in thinking about it, maybe its not such a bad thing...
Old 08-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Have you tried a powered dolly? With them, parking would be a snap, and much cheaper too.
Jim - do you use a power dolly? If so which one? And how do you like it with the 19?

Also do you tow with Andersen hitch, if so I have a thread on my ridgeline and would like some advice on it.

Thanks!

I really like my 19, it seems perfect size for 1 to 2 people and a dog! I too have wondered how many go from 19 to 21 to 5.0 ta. Right now I can't see doing it, but everyone has different reasons...

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Seriously...Why?

Hi: All... The 5.0TA is easier to hook up!!! I do easy really well. I aim the truck and Mary Anne pushes the buttons to raise and lower the pin. The 7 pin connector is mounted in the truck box so plug in is a snap. As long as I'm able to climb the stairs at bed time (thanks to Reace for the extra step) we'll be in the 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just our personal quirks is we've never been drawn to 5th wheels vs trailers, don't really know why, but is what it is. If we ever got a fifth wheel, it would definitely be the Escape 5.0.
Like Jim, we must have the full queen permanent bed. This is after years of "whatever that is in a Scamp 13," "sort of a full size, "sort of a queen."
We wanted a larger lounge/dinette area than we have in the 17, so the 19 fit all of our quirks for full-timing.
We do have over a decade of actively camping in molded fiberglass trailers and one short foray to the dark side, so we are fortunate that we know our quirks which makes it much easier for us to decide on things.
Everyone has different quirks and you need to follow those in selecting the trailer that is right for you.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #15

Trailer: none
Often, if torn between two options which both seem to have equivalent pro's and con's, it means that either one will work for you....flip a coin and don't look back.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
A big factor in our 21 choice over the 19 was the added width (6 inch?) as we can pass each other in the aisle and still not step on the dogs...........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #17

That's why we went with the 21' too. Just the little bit seems to make a huge difference. And while our kids refuse to not grow and get older, they are still young enough and actually interested enough to make the larger space a benefit for them too...
Old 08-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
A big factor in our 21 choice over the 19 was the added width (6 inch?) as we can pass each other in the aisle and still not step on the dogs...........
We use our 'narrower' aisle in the 19 as a 'health gauge' Charlie. When either of us can't get past the other without bumping into each other, it's time to close the fridge and go on a diet.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We use our 'narrower' aisle in the 19 as a 'health gauge' Charlie. When either of us can't get past the other without bumping into each other, it's time to close the fridge and go on a diet.
Hi: rbryan4... There's always Lite Beer and Lo Cal dressing Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #20

We too have no issue with passing each other in the aisle of the 19.