Shop for brake adjustment near Bellingham - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Good RV repair shop near Bellingham-Burlington-Mt. Vernon, WA

We'll be in the Bellingham-Burlington-Mount Vernon area early next week, and would like to get our brakes checked and adjusted before heading across the North Cascades Highway, which has just reopened after its winter closure.

Could someone please recommend a good RV service shop in that area of Washington? I know there's a Camping World in Burlington, but am not sure whether a smaller shop might be cheaper and better.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
Bellingham is further north of Hiway 20. I think you mean Burlington which is just north of Mt. Vernon.

Google search on "rv repair in Mt Vernon WA". There are several other dealer/repair shops right by I-5 besides Campingworld of Burlington. Poulsbo RV is a big name out here.
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Thanks, grc. I mentioned Bellingham because we will be camped at Birch Bay, right near the border, on our first night. I'll try Poulsbo, and do the Google search if their appointments are backed up, or use Camping World in Burlington.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
There is Vacationland RV on Iowa Street right off the freeway. I used them to fix my furnace so they are familiar with Escapes. Jennifer is the service person; I would call ahead to make sure you can get in for service although it's early in the season. Can't speak to cost but I like them. If you don't care about the place being RV specific, I highly recommend Meridian Auto &Tire on Kentucky. I've gone to them for years and even have talked to them about the controversial brake re-pack (don't even think about it yet). Good people.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

Thanks, Karen. It's great to have a recommendation from someone who is local, and has done business with those companies.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Finding a good place to work on our wonderful trailers within a given city that folks can recommend is STELLER. Here in the PDX area, we know of an Earl Scwab location (tires, etc.) that knows how to pack our build wheel bearings, check the brakes, etc. without damaging the torsion axle. Marketing at it's best. Share the knowledge.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Donna, you nut, that's Les Schwab. Great place, we have been using them for years for brakes and bearings.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Donna, you nut, that's Les Schwab. Great place, we have been using them for years for brakes and bearings.

Kathie
Yeah, she's confusing them with Earl Scwab: paint your trailer any color for $19.95
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh crap. I'd normally say "not enough coffee," but this time of day, I'd just say... waaaaay tooooo tired to be posting. But, y'all get the idea.

And you do know I can "fix" everyone's posts, right?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Geisby's
I'm curious how towing over the North Cascades went for you? We are also thinking of traveling to the west coast that way, from the West Kootenays in BC - bit leary of those hills, so wondering how towing went for you. We also have a Tacoma, pulling a 19'.
Anni and Mike
Geisby's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geisby's View Post
I'm curious how towing over the North Cascades went for you? We are also thinking of traveling to the west coast that way, from the West Kootenays in BC - bit leary of those hills, so wondering how towing went for you. We also have a Tacoma, pulling a 19'.
Anni and Mike
Ani and Mike, we enjoyed our trip over the North Cascades. We had light snow flurries in Washington Pass at 4855' elevation, but the road stayed clear. It's a wide 2-lane highway with a reasonable number of pullout lanes on the uphills for slower traffic.

Here's a paraphrase of what Mountain Directory West says to expect on the road in the westbound direction. There are four miles of 6-7% grade on the descent from Washington Pass, then a 1.5 mile long climb at 5-6% grade up Rainy Pass. The descent from Rainy Pass is posted at 6% for four miles, followed by a flat section, then three miles of 3-5% downhill grade, another mile of flat road, then three miles of 5-6%. From there on, the descent includes rolling hills with short sections of 5-6%, including many 20 to 35 mph curves.

We took our time and geared down as necessary, and didn't find the drive stressful. Fortunately, traffic was light the day we went through. We look forward to driving it again. Hope it's a fun route for you.
Attached Thumbnails
NorthCascadesSnow.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
In 2013 I bicycled (yes, pedalling) from Victoria, BC to home in Wetaskiwin, AB. I timed it to attend a Sting concert in Victoria, then to hit the 2013 Escape Rally in Osoyoos (a couple days early) to check out Escape trailers while on my way home. At the Rally I did meet some wonderful Escape owners who showed me their trailers and got to view the Escape 21 which Reace and Tammy unveiled at that rally. When I got home, we got in the queue for an Escape 21 ourselves.

Going over Washington Pass on the bicycle sure felt tougher than what your Mountain Directory West describes! I'm used to climbing Bow and Sunwapta Passes in Banff and Jasper, but they're nothing compared to Washington Pass (Sask Crossing to Bow Pass = +683m elev in 34km; Wash. Pass = +1,500m elev in 56km!). There were a few short stretches of 9% grades which really had me pushing hard on the pedals, but it was a relentless, long day's climb. Lovely, lovely road though. On the way up (Eastbound) I camped at Colonial Creek Campground which was a lovely little campground (some pull-through sites too!). The next morning I was on the road at the crack of dawn (more enjoyable climbing before it warms up) and was pleasantly surprised at the number of exotic sports cars (Porsches mainly, but a lot of variety) and motorbikes that were out enjoying the road before the truckers started their workday. They were all respectful and one even stopped to check that I was okay when I was stopped on the side of the road re-applying my sunscreen.

On the ride to Osoyoos I also spotted 3 Escape trailers, presumably all on their way to the Escape Rally too.

Sorry, not much help in answering your question, but you did cause me to reminisce, which was a fun diversion on my lunch-break!
Attached Thumbnails
BPJohnson_130603_2415.jpg   BPJohnson_130604_2450.jpg   BPJohnson_130604_2455.jpg  
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote