Sight unseen... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Sight unseen...

Just wondering how many folks have purchased an Escape without ever seeing one ahead of time. This was our first "sighting" of an Escape as we drove into Chilliwack.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape Trip July August 2013 085.jpg  
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
I have one in my sights...I'm just having difficulties pulling the trigger!

Those of you who do order/purchase sight unseen...totally amaze me! Hell ya only live once right?

The size of the shower/bathroom (can you really shower in it without sitting on the pot) is the only hold back...must be a girl thang!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We put a deposit on a 21 sight unseen but made a point to see one soon after to make sure of our decision. We made the leap because the production schedule was filling up fast. I felt like the Escape was the right move sight unseen but I was sure of it after seeing one.
We leave to pick ours up in two days.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post

The size of the shower/bathroom (can you really shower in it without sitting on the pot) is the only hold back...must be a girl thang!
I'm 6' and have no problem showering while standing. Instead of turning around to change direction of where the water flows, you stand still and move the shower hose to suit the need. A good lesson on economy and efficiency.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Well, even though I've seen many, many Escapes... I'm buying my new 5er sight unseen. All of us in line are. Does that count?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: lefttee... I'm buying a 5.0TA sight unseen...even though I've owned a 5.0 for 6yrs. Do I qualify!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
we purchased ours sight unseen in January... used

My nephew ( not a trailer guy) drove three hours north of him (8 hours north of us) and bought it for us

My brother-in-law brought it home a week later

It worked out for us so far but then again the maiden voyage isn't untill early May

We stopped in at the factory last year and we have looked at a few when were camping though
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm on my second blind Escape, bought a new Escape 19 in 2012, sold it in 2013 and upgraded to an Escape 21', both units were bought sight unseen.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well, even though I've seen many, many Escapes... I'm buying my new 5er sight unseen. All of us in line are. Does that count?
Absolutely.....

It seems like most folks get their escape and they love it...and then opt for the larger a short time later.

Thanks Zardoz
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Bought my 17B sight unseen. I'd seen one from a distance, up on a hill along the highway that was, in essence, a billboard. Looked at the web site. Called Tammy and she said there were two others thinking of buying and one completion date for early July. I couldn't get my deposit cheque in fast enough.
If I have one regret, it's that the Escape Forum didn't exist at that time, so I didn't have access to others' build lists and ideas and experiences.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #11

How many other companies could pull this off in today's market? Seems to me there's a lesson here.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
We bought our used 19 sight unseen and traveled from Iowa to Tucson to pick it up. The owners were traveling at the time and told us it would take a leap of faith on our part to deposit a downpayment into their bank account. We did it and have never regretted our decision. Jack and Nancy are about the nicest, most helpful and hospitable couple we have met in a long time.
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #13

Gbaglo...

Since this is a rather general thread discussing the ETI "mystique"...I would be interested in knowing more about the history of the forum itself and some of the principals (careers, backgrounds, etc). Were Reece and Tami involved with the forum at first?
Old 04-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think Tammy and Reace were involved.
Jeff Z suggested on FGRV ( which was under different ownership at the time ) that there be an Escape forum, similar to Casita or Scamp. That raised the ire of moderators ( at the time ) on FGRV.
I supported Jeff in the idea of creating a forum. At the same time, the moderators ( at that time ) determined that I couldn't post without my posts being held for approval. Apparently, my sense of humour and some of the topics I referenced ( always close, but never over the line ), and perhaps my support for Jeff offended them.
Anyway, Jeff went ahead and created the Escape Owners forum and asked me to be moderator ( which I gleefully accepted ).
We discussed the forum rules and decided at that time that if flames erupted or posts were inappropriate that we would create a section for inappropriate posts where people could just keep firing away at one another and nobody else had to read it. We never came close to having to create that section. Everybody just wanted to help others and if somebody slipped over the line, the rest tolerated it and it was brief and disappeared.
Jeff sold his 17 Escape and bought an Airstream Bambi ( at a heavy discount due to the economy ). Sold that and bought a small motorhome, but continued to maintain the forum.
He eventually sold the forum to the current owners ( who also own FGRV and a bunch of other sites ).
I offered to bail out as moderator, but was asked to continue. Jim became a moderator at that time.
Jeff is retired from the tech world and I'm a retired news photographer / editor.
Tammy and Reace probably read bits of the forum when they have the time, but they don't monitor it ( to my knowledge ). I'll send a note to Tammy if I think they might like to address a thread that is wild with conjecture ( same email address you find on their site ).
My wife ( the Old Bag ) complains frequently that I spend too much time talking to my "invisible friends" so I got her an iPad.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I was looking for an "egg". Drove 400 km and looked at a '80's vintage 17'. Thought about buying it but there was too much work needed on it although I had the time. Was prepared to go south of the border for the right Casita but was not entirely sold on them. Kept looking, felt the Escapes were going to be just a little out of my price range. Found one, made an offer within my price range, sight unseen, with the proviso that if it did not meet my criteria, I could step away. Drove 12 hours, had a good look, shook hands, and closed the deal. Two hours later, I was motoring it back home. I am happy with it, there are some upgrades that I want to do, but overall, life is good, no regrets! Had not seen an Escape in person prior to the purchase, they are all that I expected and perhaps a little bit more.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I....Jeff Z suggested on FGRV ( which was under different ownership at the time ) that there be an Escape forum, similar to Casita or Scamp. That raised the ire of moderators ( at the time ) on FGRV.
I supported Jeff in the idea of creating a forum. At the same time, the moderators ( at that time ) determined that I couldn't post without my posts being held for approval. Apparently, my sense of humour and some of the topics I referenced ( always close, but never over the line ), and perhaps my support for Jeff offended them.
As a former moderator/administrator on FiberglassRV at the time, I will tell you... this is only partially true. And, whatever the real reason, it no longer matters as neither FiberglassRV nor Escape forum are privately owned. They're now both commercial, for profit sites owned by Social Knowledge.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #17

Back to the the topic, in reading some of the responses, particularly those buying used, unseen, there is mention that the owners/sellers were rally nice people. I think that is important, everyone I have ever spoken to at ETI seems very nice and friendly. It seems also that we, as owners, continue to personify that trait if we later sell our unit. So it is the people behind and the owners that make them successful and trustworthy in their product/ownership. Pride, something we all have, and something the worlds needs more of. Happy Easter everyone...
Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We didn't see a 19 before purchasing but we did see Leon W's 17. That was enough to convince us of the quality in their product ( and that Escape owners must all be nice). It is going to be 72 here today and there is an egg in my driveway. Life is good! Happy Easter!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #19

Given that the internet and this forum appear to be such a crucial part of ETI's success, I'm surprised Reece and Tammy (sorry for the misspelling earlier) weren't behind it early on.

I also appreciate the nature and tone of the forum...just plain fun to be a part of it. I know there has to be a "rotten egg" out there somewhere.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #20

The moderators, try to ween out the "rotten eggs" from our groups.