Slow moving vehicle triangle on 55 mph travel trailer? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 5/23/17 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,323
After seeing it on Leon and Lindy's 21, I put a strip of this across our rear bumper:
DOT Tape
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71P9O8n3FiL._SL1500_.jpg (147.7 KB, 5 views)
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)
thoer is online now  
Old 07-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 907
I found these "maximum speed of this vehicle 55 mph"

3.5 x 5 sticker - $16 for pack of 5

(wish I could find bigger versions of that message.... no luck yet)

Maximum Speed 55 MPH Label by SafetySign.com - K2459

I'm just trying to figure out ways to warn idiot drivers behind us that I am going 55!
__________________

Losangeles is offline  
Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 5/23/17 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I'm just trying to figure out ways to warn idiot drivers behind us that I am going 55!
Drive with you emergency flashers on?? I wonder if that is legal.
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)
thoer is online now  
Old 07-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 907
another sign option.... i could add the #'s "55" at the bottom right corner of the sign

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U3OJTVY

(99% of our driving would be in the USA, given where we live, and that we are not retired, and take short-ish vacations.)

Losangeles is offline  
Old 07-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I found these "maximum speed of this vehicle 55 mph"

3.5 x 5 sticker - $16 for pack of 5

(wish I could find bigger versions of that message.... no luck yet)

Maximum Speed 55 MPH Label by SafetySign.com - K2459

I'm just trying to figure out ways to warn idiot drivers behind us that I am going 55!
Hi: Losangeles... The bumper sticker on my tug says "I'm driving as fast as I can afford". The one on the trailer states " I go where I'm towed too!".
I'd be concerned that the slow moving vehicle sign might come back to bite me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline  
Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I found these "maximum speed of this vehicle 55 mph"

3.5 x 5 sticker - $16 for pack of 5

(wish I could find bigger versions of that message.... no luck yet)

Maximum Speed 55 MPH Label by SafetySign.com - K2459

Any one of hundreds of places, here's one such.



Custom Sign - Choose Color, Add Own Headline And Text, SKU: S-3607
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline  
Old 07-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
ice-breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Beaumont, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
...We religiously drive 55 mph maximum when towing a travel trailer.

... When we are going 55 we often have idiot drivers tailgate, or approach very fast. We have had lots of bad drivers all around us.
...

I would say that at 55 mph on the freeway we most certainly ARE going significantly less than surrounding traffic. ....
You are driving at a speed that is actually quite slow compared to other traffic on most secondary highways, and dangerously slow compared to other traffic on the freeways. Consistently driving at speeds slower than the majority of traffic on a roadway is actually quite dangerous. Having traffic brake and slow down rapidly immediately behind you is not due to others being poor drivers or distracted drivers, it is due to you operating your vehicle in an unsafe manner much slower than the flow of traffic around you. My advice to you would be to either speed up to much closer to the average speed of traffic around you, or get off the freeways and travel on roads with speed limits closer to those you are comfortable driving at. You and everyone around you will be happier and safer.
__________________
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
ice-breaker is offline  
Old 07-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
You are driving at a speed that is actually quite slow compared to other traffic on most secondary highways, and dangerously slow compared to other traffic on the freeways. Consistently driving at speeds slower than the majority of traffic on a roadway is actually quite dangerous. Having traffic brake and slow down rapidly immediately behind you is not due to others being poor drivers or distracted drivers, it is due to you operating your vehicle in an unsafe manner much slower than the flow of traffic around you. My advice to you would be to either speed up to much closer to the average speed of traffic around you, or get off the freeways and travel on roads with speed limits closer to those you are comfortable driving at. You and everyone around you will be happier and safer.
As I mentioned earlier - California State Law says 55 MPH if you are towing anything.

I'm not going to break the law!

I'm not the problem. Other bad drivers are the problem.

Trailer Speed Limits - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

and.... there are tons and tons of people towing various things in California - some go 55 to both respect the law, and to have less velocity to make braking and avoidance better...... but some towing folks drive faster, and some crazy fast.

I'm not alone in going 55 mph towing in Southern California. Not all. Many go 55 mph.

I'm just trying to be more visible.
Losangeles is offline  
Old 07-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Any one of hundreds of places, here's one such.



Custom Sign - Choose Color, Add Own Headline And Text, SKU: S-3607
Thanks Bob - that is awesome. I had no idea. Great service! Nice options. Fair-ish prices.
Losangeles is offline  
Old 07-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 5/23/17 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Though, even worse than those driving too slow, are those that drive way too fast. They cause the same potential hazard, just with more potential for disaster.
Always amazes me when I see someone towing a fishing boat on a trailer with those tiny wheels, cruising at about 75 mph. I often wonder how many people towing trailers know what the actual speed rating of their tires is.
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)
thoer is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.