Slow moving vehicle triangle on 55 mph travel trailer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Slow moving vehicle triangle on 55 mph travel trailer?

Hello wise people

We religiously drive 55 mph maximum when towing a travel trailer.

It is state law in California ..... plus we feel safer in terms of braking and stability.
Plus we are on vacation and in no rush.

Earlier this year I met an experienced Travel Trailer person who had a traditional orange "slow moving vehicle" triangle on the back of his travel trailer.

On Southern California freeways ... When we are going 55 we often have idiot drivers tailgate, or approach very fast. We have had lots of bad drivers all around us.

I did some research on the Internet, and I found what the triangles are supposed to be used for, and their usage is for when the vehicle is traveling LESS than the surrounding traffic.

I would say that at 55 mph on the freeway we most certainly ARE going significantly less than surrounding traffic.

I could not find any language about "not to be used on travel trailers" or the like.

I would also say that the large white backside of a 2017 Escape 21 might have its speed misjudged by a careless driver. (Tons of idiot drivers.... Really!)

So what say you, wise folks. Is it a good idea or a bad idea to put a traditional "slow moving vehicle" safety triangle on the back of our Escape 21?
Old 07-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Those tringles where for farm equipment , wagons and horses and tractors on side roads .
Not on free-ways . Usually four ways are used on semi-trailers on the hills .
Old 07-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Personally, as a matter of course, I would stay off of the freeways in California as much as possible. Which I also often do elsewhere. You can look for alternative routes. State highways that have four lanes are good because then people can pass, as opposed to two-laners in the country where you have to pull over or let people go around when possible.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Personally, as a matter of course, I would stay off of the freeways in California as much as possible. Which I also often do elsewhere. You can look for alternative routes. State highways that have four lanes are good because then people can pass, as opposed to two-laners in the country where you have to pull over or let people go around when possible.
Yes.... In many places we can stay off the freeways....

However in many instances in Southern California it just makes the most sense to be on the 10 freeway, or the like.

The smaller highways have often been swallowed up by growing communities, and they are now shopping areas in some places. Very slow and lots of traffic.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Those tringles where for farm equipment , wagons and horses and tractors on side roads .
Not on free-ways . Usually four ways are used on semi-trailers on the hills .
Yes I am aware that farm vehicles, etc use the triangles.

But I can not find any language anywhere on the Internet (so far) that prohibits them from being used on a vehicle on freeways.

Anyone have any specific info?

Wikipedia is sometimes wrong, but here is the info from there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_moving_vehicle

Old 07-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Yes I am aware that farm vehicles, etc use the triangles.

But I can not find any language anywhere on the Internet (so far) that prohibits them from being used on a vehicle on freeways.

Anyone have any specific info?

Wikipedia is sometimes wrong, but here is the info from there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_moving_vehicle

No specific info, as I don't have a Vehicle Code handy, but doubt you'll find a regulation when it is prohibited, only when the triangle is required. Using it when it is not required would not be a violation....IMHO

Cheers

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Old 07-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #7

good idea to look in the vehicle code

and i quote the CA vehicle code:

VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28150] ( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
CHAPTER 2. Lighting Equipment [24250 - 26106] ( Chapter 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 3. Rear Lighting Equipment [24600 - 24617] ( Article 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

It is unlawful to operate upon a public highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles, which is designed to be and is operated at a speed of 25 miles per hour or less, unless the rearmost vehicle displays a “slow-moving vehicle emblem,” except upon vehicles used by a utility, whether publicly or privately owned, for the construction, maintenance, or repair of its own facilities or upon vehicles used by highway authorities or bridge or highway districts in highway maintenance, inspection, survey, or construction work, while such vehicle is engaged in work at the jobsite upon a highway. Any other vehicle or combination of vehicles, when operated at a speed of 25 miles per hour or less, may display such emblem. The emblem shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle, base down, and at a height of not less than three nor more than five feet from ground to base. Such emblem shall consist of a truncated equilateral triangle having a minimum height of 14 inches with a red reflective border not less than 13/4 inches in width and a fluorescent orange center.

This emblem shall not be displayed except as permitted or required by this section.
(Amended by Stats. 1971, Ch. 287.)
Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In at least some parts of Europe, this sort of sign is required on travel trailers (caravans), presumably because they are legally restricted in speed to below the maximum (on the highest-limit highways) for other types of vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
... doubt you'll find a regulation when it is prohibited, only when the triangle is required. Using it when it is not required would not be a violation...
Perhaps not, but like the people who drive at the speed of highway traffic with their hazard flashers on (because they forgot they turned them on, can't hear the clicking, and are blind so they can't see the flashing lights on the dash?), using any indication of a slow-moving vehicle when not moving slowly is the classic "cry wolf" situation that leads to people ignoring these signals.

From the above-linked Wikipedia page:
Quote:
In the United States and Canada an individual vehicle, a vehicle which is being towed, or caravans of vehicles, which are unable to reach a maximum speed of 65 kilometres an hour(25 miles per hour) are required by law to display a special reflective emblem sign at the rear of the vehicle or vehicles, or on the rear vehicle in the caravan.
Whether you consider the speed to be 25 miles per hour or 65 kilometres an hour - which are very different speeds - a travel trailer at 55 mph (90 km/h) doesn't fit.

As a driver here, if I caught sight of a slow-moving-vehicle triangle ahead, I would not expect it to be attached to something travelling at 90 kilometres per hour.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Just drive at 55 and watch the rat race pass you. We stay at 58 or so on highways and no higher than 65 on interstates as speed limits permit. And yes, we are passed constantly. Part of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Just drive at 55 and watch the rat race pass you. We stay at 58 or so on highways and no higher than 65 on interstates as speed limits permit. And yes, we are passed constantly. Part of the deal.
Of course, yes

but sooooooo many idiots are texing and driving..... just trying to think of ways to make us a little more visible.

I wonder how far I could go (legally) with striped reflectors.... or other eye catching things on the back side of our forthcoming 2017 Escape 21'?

seriously.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We tow in urban areas with our trailer lights on. And, Escape does add all those nice extra LED taillight strips along the back. Pretty visible, but then again, there's no accounting for an idiot not paying attention when driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We tow in urban areas with our trailer lights on. And, Escape does add all those nice extra LED taillight strips along the back. Pretty visible, but then again, there's no accounting for an idiot not paying attention when driving.
You mean the interior lights on?

If yes... in CA that might actually be illegal. Not sure.

or do you mean the Escape exterior running lights, as in tug headlights on?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #13

having fun shopping for reflective stuff

Reflective Chevron Striped Panels for Work Utility Trucks and Delivery Vehicles
Old 07-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
You mean the interior lights on?
I'm sure Robert meant the exterior lights. I have the extra lights (horizontal strips up high) on my 15A. I, too, always tow with my lights on; my son followed me home after I picked up my Escape and said the trailer was lit up like a Christmas tree
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 07-11-2016, 02:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm sure Robert meant the exterior lights. I have the extra lights (horizontal strips up high) on my 15A. I, too, always tow with my lights on; my son followed me home after I picked up my Escape and said the trailer was lit up like a Christmas tree
Well Karen .....it WAS Christmas if you were bringing home your baby from the manger in Cilliwack!

Tom
Old 07-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How about something like this. You could also get a custom one made at a local sign shop.

OSHA CAUTION Slow Moving Vehicle Sign OCE-16539 Machinery
Attached Thumbnails
Caution Sign.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 05:52 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think adding a sign could be helpful, however this one maybe more effective
"Student Driver", I always steer clear of them......
Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Had their prismatic reflective tape on the belly band of my Casita - it's far more reflective than regular style tape.

Prismatic Crystal Diamond Grade Reflective Tapes ONLINE STORE

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #19

Quote:
... just trying to think of ways to make us a little more visible.
I wonder how far I could go (legally) with striped reflectors.... or other eye catching things on the back side of our forthcoming 2017 Escape 21'?
Visibility is good. You can put lots of reflectors on - I suggest just staying with white and red. Trucks are required to use red and white conspicuity markings, and the readily available tape which is normally used for that would be suitable - the reflective tape Charlie mentioned includes an example.

Whether it is a triangular symbol or a sign with the words "slow moving vehicle", I don't think labelling a vehicle which is moving at 55 mph as "slow moving" is appropriate.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #20

It can't hurt to have the tail and marker lights on.

That means turning those lights on in the tow vehicle, and with Daytime Running Lights that usually means switching from the DRLs to normal low-beam headlights, which are less effective for the purpose of being visible to oncoming traffic. A solution can be to turn the tug's switch to the parking light position, which turns on the desired tail and marker lights, but normally leaves the DRLs on the front functioning.

We're talking here about daytime operation, of course.
Closed Thread