Small motion-activated light for entry steps.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Small motion-activated light for entry steps....

Hear me out before you judge - this might seem a little strange to some at first. I was walking through Bed Bath & Beyond, and a rather intersting item caught my eye - a motion-activated nightlight where the light hangs down into the toilet.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ord=illumibowl
I read the package just for kicks, and the more I read, the more I thought this might be a perfect motion-activated light to hang on the outside steps to softly illuminate the outside steps when approaching the entry door at night. At around $10 (love those coupons), and with generally positive customer reviews, I thought it was worth a try. I hung it from the crossbar that locks the steps in place, and it works great! You can pre-set any of 8 colors, or let it slowly progress through all of them, at three different levels of brightness. So far, it seems to have great motion sensitivity. Once it turns itself on, it stays on for 2 minutes, then automatically shuts off. And it turns itself off during daylight to save the 3 AAA batteries. Only downside to me is the battery compartment is not designed to be waterproof. Although rain or dew would have to work pretty hard to get in there, I'll probably put a strip of electricians tape across the top and sides of the battery compartment just to be sure. No pictures yet, but I'll try to post some when I can. No reason it couldn't be used as a general motion-activated nightlight inside the trailer, too. Okay, now feel free to judge....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Hear me out before you judge - this might seem a little strange to some at first. I was walking through Bed Bath & Beyond, and a rather intersting item caught my eye - a motion-activated nightlight where the light hangs down into the toilet.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ord=illumibowl
I read the package just for kicks, and the more I read, the more I thought this might be a perfect motion-activated light to hang on the outside steps to softly illuminate the outside steps when approaching the entry door at night. At around $10 (love those coupons), and with generally positive customer reviews, I thought it was worth a try. I hung it from the crossbar that locks the steps in place, and it works great! You can pre-set any of 8 colors, or let it slowly progress through all of them, at three different levels of brightness. So far, it seems to have great motion sensitivity. Once it turns itself on, it stays on for 2 minutes, then automatically shuts off. And it turns itself off during daylight to save the 3 AAA batteries. Only downside to me is the battery compartment is not designed to be waterproof. Although rain or dew would have to work pretty hard to get in there, I'll probably put a strip of electricians tape across the top and sides of the battery compartment just to be sure. No pictures yet, but I'll try to post some when I can. No reason it couldn't be used as a general motion-activated nightlight inside the trailer, too. Okay, now feel free to judge....
OK, Dale, my judgement:

Real men hang around in Harley shops or pubs, not in Bed, Bath, and Beyond!

Seriously, though, I think it's worth a trial if you don't plan to leave the porch light on when you are away from the trailer after dark. I either leave the light on (Motel 6!) or carry a flashlight but I can see where such a light would be of value if I were to have imbibed too many libations or I forgot a flashlight.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
OK, Dale, my judgement:

Real men hang around in Harley shops or pubs, not in Bed, Bath, and Beyond!

Seriously, though, I think it's worth a trial if you don't plan to leave the porch light on when you are away from the trailer after dark. I either leave the light on (Motel 6!) or carry a flashlight but I can see where such a light would be of value if I were to have imbibed too many libations or I forgot a flashlight.
OK, a couple of thoughts.
Dale, I think it's a good idea, however, I agree with Carl; I'd assign it to one of my wife's shopping expeditions. I am definitely not a shopper.

Carl, what if multiple Escapes have them? You know it's now quite possible, since Dale posted it. The libations could well send you to the wrong door.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #4

If I've had a few too many libations, I would be lucky to find any Escape, let alone my own!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
If I've had a few too many libations, I would be lucky to find any Escape, let alone my own!
Then, you must get a bunch of the lights, to leave a Hansel & Gretel-like trail home. (Just look out for the wicked wife and witch.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #6

Quote:
OK, Dale, my judgement: Real men hang around in Harley shops or pubs, not in Bed, Bath, and Beyond! Seriously, though, I think it's worth a trial if you don't plan to leave the porch light on when you are away from the trailer after dark. I either leave the light on (Motel 6!) or carry a flashlight but I can see where such a light would be of value if I were to have imbibed too many libations or I forgot a flashlight.
Hey Carl, How do you know I didn't ride a Harley to BB&B? I didn't, but how do you know? As for porch lights, on clear nights, my wife and I have been known to turn out ALL the lights and relax together in the dark gazing up at the stars. Following a little eye pupil expansion time like that, a bright flashlight can seem awfully stark. So I think a soft colored underglow light under the entrance steps might provide a nice ambiance for walking back to the trailer. If that disqualifies me for a Harley, then I guess I'll have to settle for something perhaps more appropriate for a trip to BB&B - maybe a BMW K 1600 B? See you in a few days at the Green Eggs & Ham Rally. We'll be the new 21' with the blue glow emanating from under the entrance steps....
Old 03-14-2017, 04:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Hey Carl, How do you know I didn't ride a Harley to BB&B? I didn't, but how do you know? As for porch lights, on clear nights, my wife and I have been known to turn out ALL the lights and relax together in the dark gazing up at the stars. Following a little eye pupil expansion time like that, a bright flashlight can seem awfully stark. So I think a soft colored underglow light under the entrance steps might provide a nice ambiance for walking back to the trailer. If that disqualifies me for a Harley, then I guess I'll have to settle for something perhaps more appropriate for a trip to BB&B - maybe a BMW K 1600 B? See you in a few days at the Green Eggs & Ham Rally. We'll be the new 21' with the blue glow emanating from under the entrance steps....
I, for one, have NEVER seen a Harley parked outside a Bed, Bath, and Beyond unless there was a Hooters next door!
The BMW would be OK; just don't ride something that ends in a vowel......
Unfortunately, I won't be going to GE&H. I was going to spend this week at my son's house in Madison, then head south to Montgomery for the rally, but the grandchildren are on school vacation this week and they headed for NC. Then our friends found out they could not go either so we cancelled our reservations. Disappointed, however, that I won't get to see the K-Mart Blue Light Special!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 17
illumibowl is the right size, super small, they are in walmart, in the hardware section by the night lights. But I wonder if the case is waterproof for Rain for an outdoor step? Thanks for the great tip. I'm gonna pick one up to play around with.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Where did you end up after libations at our trailer at the rally last year? I assumed you made it back okay. Guess I shoulda checked on you.

I am going to be the Devils' advocate here (go figure ). I have camped most of the time many miles away from any type of streetlight, never use any form of mounted light to guide my way or help me enter the trailer, and have never had an issue finding or entering the trailer, even on moonless overcast nights.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Where did you end up after libations at our trailer at the rally last year? i assumed you made it back okay. Guess I shoulda checked on you.
I think I made it back. But I'm somewhat sure I walked past Home Hardware and Timmy's (twice) on the way back!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I think I made it back. But I'm somewhat sure I walked past Home Hardware and Timmy's (twice) on the way back!
Hi: C&G in FL... WoW!!! What lengths some folks won't go to for a Lg. double/double!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie aka "Great white north"
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: C&G in FL... WoW!!! What lengths some folks won't go to for a Lg. double/double!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie aka "Great white north"
'twasn't his only double something of the night.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... I am going to be the Devils' advocate here (go figure ). I have camped most of the time many miles away from any type of streetlight, never use any form of mounted light to guide my way or help me enter the trailer, and have never had an issue finding or entering the trailer, even on moonless overcast nights.
Jim, You have obviously been blessed with amazing night vision, as well as depth perception and balance in the dark. Others on this forum may not be so lucky as they advance in age, and they may find a little light at their trailer's entrance to help guide their feet to be a blessing to them. What's the harm if it provides someone a little more confidence in their footing? Other than that, I think it looks pretty cool, too!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Charlie (tractors1), added a motion detector step light on his 21'. He likes it. To make a comparison, perhaps you'd like to read Charlie's threads: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ight-6009.html

This is where he described the light and provided a link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...nsor-4913.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
It will be interesting to see how well the BB&B light holds up to the vibration and outdoor exposure of our "rolling earthquakes". Sounds like a good idea, though.

And yeah, BB&B is pretty girly. Whenever I feel compelled to slink into one I have to compensate afterwards by visiting an outdoor recreation store or, yes, a Hooters.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
It will be interesting to see how well the BB&B light holds up to the vibration and outdoor exposure of our "rolling earthquakes". Sounds like a good idea, though. And yeah, BB&B is pretty girly. Whenever I feel compelled to slink into one I have to compensate afterwards by visiting an outdoor recreation store or, yes, a Hooters.
The Illumibowl is a clip-on and will only be clipped to the step while set up at camp and only when the campsite warrants a little extra light at the step. It will not be there while bouncing down the road. It is powered by 3 AAA batteries, so no need to hard-wire in or tie up an existing 120V or 12V outlet. And we have a Gander Mountain located just across the shopping center from our BB&B, so that's covered, too!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I added a bullet LED to my exterior light which I had mounted low on the passenger side and it points down to the step and can be left on all night without any light leaving the trailer's perimeter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0874.jpg   IMG_0879.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Charlie (tractors1), added a motion detector step light on his 21'. He likes it. To make a comparison, perhaps you'd like to read Charlie's threads: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ight-6009.html

This is where he described the light and provided a link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...nsor-4913.html
Actually it's a superb light for use in the bathroom, too. Also in cabinets where you don't want to run a wire and switch. I bought a dozen of them!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...productDetails

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote