Snap-up Bar-aka equalizer hitch lever - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is this what you are referring to ? Equal-i-zer Snap-Up Lever
Jim, that's the bar for a real Equal-i-zer, as opposed to the Reese ETI sells. In actual use I had no use for the bar, you can get away with jacking up the front of the trailer high enough to allow the spring arms to just slide on.

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

Old 08-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I have never had a problem putting the chains on the hooks, just lifting it into place for latching, and releasing it for unlatching (or whatever that movement is termed).
Sorry, but I wasn't clear enough.
When I put the chains on the latch is in the up position. I don't use the latching/unlatching bar at all because the latches are left up and the lock pin in them.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
In reference to the size of the lever used on the hitch, we always called it a cheater. Once I got a night callout to a municipal pool where the two college boys couldn't close a big valve after back washing a filter. I took some pipe with me from home. Once there, I told the manager to go get a cheater. I thought he'd go to my truck and get a big pipe but instead he came back with the head life guard, who was notorious for looking onto someone else's paper while taking a test. True story. I don't usually have to jack up to over center the coupler but I am super careful when letting the tension off, a lifetime around cable, load binders and big springs has made me gun-shy.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Not sure exactly what you are all talking about but I think it's the hollow bar you use to get the chain on. I don't raise the trailer to do that just use the hollow bar to raise the chains it's really easy seems like more work to me to lower then raise the hitch. Using the bar for leverage seems really easy but I don't have the motorized hitch so cranking it back up seems a chore to me
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Not sure exactly what you are all talking about but I think it's the hollow bar you use to get the chain on. I don't raise the trailer to do that just use the hollow bar to raise the chains it's really easy seems like more work to me to lower then raise the hitch. Using the bar for leverage seems really easy but I don't have the motorized hitch so cranking it back up seems a chore to me
That is what I was talking about, and I think the others too. I found the angled one made a big difference in the amount of strength needed for the process, which is why I posted in the first place. That said, I hope some find this helpful and I'm going to try raising the tongue higher to try out that method.