Solar Option on 2017 Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Trailer: pondering.....
Solar Option on 2017 Escape

2017 Models with Solar Option
When researching the solar option, I had previously seen a 2015 Escape 19 that had the ETI factory installed solar option and it appeared the solar panel was mounted to aluminum channels that were either glued and/or bolted to the exterior roof . Recent pictures posted on the forum of the 2017 Escape trailer with the solar option appeared different in that they showed four mounting feet only and bolted to the roof, two on each side of the solar panel/roof. This thread post #35 had some pics of a new 2017 (2nd Gen) model trailer with solar mounting for reference
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...er-8784-4.html

Apparently the bolts are not visible inside the trailer on the 2017 even in the enclosed cabinets in the rear ceiling area. Being curious as to how this was installed and constructed on the inside of the ceiling, an inquiry was made to ETI.
ETI provided a picture of the inside (with the solar panel mounted) with the mounting bolts and washer visible before the headliner is installed which apparently covers them.
I added labels to the original ETI picture to help explain my understanding of the construction and ETI after review verified that the picture labeling was correct.
previously emailed questions to ETI and ETI answers
1. Is the area to the left of the bolts with the lines drawn on it, the reinforced area with a wood slat fiberglassed to inside of the ceiling?
Yes.
2. If so, are the solar bolts and washer mounted thru what appears to be fiberglass only area ?
Yes, although the upper roof-mounted brackets do sit on part of the reinforced area.
---------------------------------
This is the labeled picture of the inside mounting of the 2017 models solar panel option for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Bolt Down - Copy.jpg  
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you will have better luck in getting the correct answer from Escape, as none of this can be seen from the finished units.
I can say that my 21 Escape had the original style installation, glued to the roof and I installed the retro kit Escape sent to me. The holes I drilled were thru the fiberglass shell only and they were solid.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Very timely thread as I was just wondering if anyone had a picture of exactly what you posted, Awesome!

So if I understand correctly the solar panel mount bolts and wood reinforcement would be behind or inside the upper cabinets when the interior is finished is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
When researching the solar option, I had previously seen a 2015 Escape 19 that had the ETI factory installed solar option and it appeared the solar panel was mounted to aluminum channels that were either glued and/or bolted to the exterior roof . Recent pictures posted on the forum of the 2017 Escape trailer with the solar option appeared different in that they showed four mounting feet only and bolted to the roof, two on each side of the solar panel/roof. This thread post #35 had some pics of the NEW 2017 trailer models solar mtg for reference

Apparently the bolts are not visible inside the trailer on the 2017 even in the enclosed cabinets in the rear ceiling area. Being curious as to how this was installed and constructed on the inside of the ceiling, an inquiry was made to ETI.
ETI provided a picture of the inside (with the solar panel mounted) with the mounting bolts and washer visible before the headliner is installed which apparently covers them.
I added labels to the original ETI picture to help explain my understanding of the construction and ETI after review verified that the picture labeling was correct.
1. Is the area to the left of the bolts with the lines drawn on it, the reinforced area with a wood slat fiberglassed to inside of the ceiling?
Yes.
2. If so, are the solar bolts and washer mounted thru what appears to be fiberglass only area ?
Yes, although the upper roof-mounted brackets do sit on part of the reinforced area.
This is the labeled picture of the inside mounting of the 2017 models solar panel option for your reference.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Very timely thread as I was just wondering if anyone had a picture of exactly what you posted, Awesome!

So if I understand correctly the solar panel mount bolts and wood reinforcement would be behind or inside the upper cabinets when the interior is finished is that correct?
yes inside between the fiberglass and the vinyl headliner and per new owners who have stated the bolts are not visible inside the ceiling cabinets.
if you are looking at a 5.0TA please note this picture is not from that trailer since the 2017 5.0TA has not been made yet and it may differ in construction.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Missed!

Looks to me like they missed the reinforced area. If you are not going to drill through the plywood, why bother installing plywood?
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Apparently you saw an earlier 2015 model. Ours is August 2015 and that was shortly after they started using bolts due to panels disappearing. I will find a photo of ours.

Quote:
When researching the solar option, I had previously seen a 2015 Escape 19 that had the ETI factory installed solar option and it appeared the solar panel was mounted to aluminum channels that were either glued and/or bolted to the exterior roof . Recent pictures posted on the forum of the 2017 Escape trailer with the solar option appeared different in that they showed four mounting feet only and bolted to the roof, two on each side of the solar panel/roof. This thread post #35 had some pics of a new 2017 (2nd Gen) model trailer with solar mounting for reference

Yes.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
yes inside between the fiberglass and the vinyl headliner and per new owners who have stated the bolts are not visible inside the ceiling cabinets.
if you are looking at a 5.0TA please note this picture is not from that trailer since the 2017 5.0TA has not been made yet and it may differ in construction.
Thanks and yes I understand 5.0TA might be different, but helps visualize how they are doing it.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

for those interested...this info came from ETI this week (01/10/2017) when what "solar ready" option was and how much it cost

"At this time I do not have a cost associated with Solar Ready. We have recently changed our Solar Ready option to make it much friendlier for after-market installation. This new system will include easy to locate wiring for the Solar Panel as well as a roof-mounted hub to easily install the panels. We should have this pricing available in the next couple of weeks."
Old 01-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do you mean the date to say 1/10/17?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do you mean the date to say 1/10/17?
yep..edited it...typing ain't so good today
Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I had ETI do the Solar Ready option on my 2017 E19 in April and they charged $250 CDN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk