something to think about - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
"something to think about"

I really prefer post titles that give some clue as to what the post is about.

David
I'm in complete agreement with you and Eric. The thread title is very important and should not be just an open ended statement, but instead give an idea of the subject of the thread. At FGRV we often change the title to better reflect the subject of the thread. Makes searching way easier too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I thought it pretty obvious Luther of Lutherville is a the-sky-is-falling blowhard.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I thought it pretty obvious Luther of Lutherville is a the-sky-is-falling blowhard.
Actually not. He has a way of communicating based on how he thinks ... Just like you have.

For all of us that have RV of any kind should do a little research and see that it applies to 'us'.

I will post some examples from my trailer later but for now this is the issue. I called the DOT and HUD to discuss this.

RV's have never had a 'housing code' because they were considered temporary, used a few weeks a year, and were considered a fancy tent. There are DOT regulations regarding the highway safety aspects of the outside.

The RV manufacturers have fought to keep even simple plumbing and electrical codes from applying to their products. They must comply with DOT and anything else is voluntary.

RV are no longer fancy tents ... And manufacturers cut every possible corner to cut costs and remain competitive. People are looking for affordable housing and an RV can meet the need.

So don't shoot the messengers, instead do some independent research and discuss the real issues and how they apply to me and you .. RV owners.

Search thetinylife.com to get you started. Notice some have wheels ... Why?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Post of the day Klem. It's not really political. It's a proposed reg that could potentially affect any full timer in the US. What's a more appropriate forum than an RV forum to discuss the ramifications of that?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #35

From thetinyhouse ..

Next powerful tool to have in the tool box is know the laws, codes and speak the language. I can’t stress this enough, it take a lot of time and it is a frustrating process, but being legal savvy is very helpful. For example, if you state your primary dwelling is, in fact, the normal sized house you park your Tiny House behind, this means that you do not live in the Tiny House and it is simply a trailer. By knowing the system we can exploit it’s weaknesses in a legal manner, much as a shady lawyer would do to get his client off on a technicality. Basically you want to legally show you live somewhere else, that no one lives in the trailered Tiny House, and that it is a trailer that is compliance with zoning.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Good advice but I don't really agree with them on this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
From thetinyhouse ..

Basically you want to legally show you live somewhere else, that no one lives in the trailered Tiny House, and that it is a trailer that is compliance with zoning.

That sounds like an attempt to skirt the law, rather than complying with it and working for sensible laws and regs that benefit everyone. If you live in it, you live in it. It shouldn't be illegal to do so. If it is, they should focus their efforts on changing that.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #37

Usually this is a tax assessor or they just send a letter, but you can usually settle their fears when they see that it is on wheels and you can say that you are storing it here for a week, month, etc. in accordance with zoning laws; at that point pull out a copy of the code and they will generally leave you alone. Again, knowing the legal speak can get you out of this.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Perhaps we should get worked up about those tags on cushions and pillows that say Do Not Remove ( prior to sale ).

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Old 04-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I'm in complete agreement with you and Eric. The thread title is very important and should not be just an open ended statement, but instead give an idea of the subject of the thread. At FGRV we often change the title to better reflect the subject of the thread. Makes searching way easier too.
My thread, my title, your thread, your title, very simple.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My thread, my title, your thread, your title, very simple.
My post, my opinion, very simple.

I am simply wanting to help people.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread