Soon to be 19' Owners - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Soon to be 19' Owners

Greetings All,

You may have seen some of my posts here but I wanted to introduce myself (us) to the group. My wife and I are from San Antonio, TX and soon to be 19’ owners. We have had a Casita since 2003 and like many other owners we were looking for just a little more room. Escape has been on my radar for a couple of years since I first saw Brad’s (Texasescapees) trailer, so when Escape offered the winter discount we decided to pursue the new trailer. We are getting a fairly loaded trailer-better to get it now than regret it later! Hopefully within the next couple of years we plan to travel for several months of the year so the larger unit made more sense. We know all the current TX Escape owners from our Casita rallies but have not seen all of their units yet. So here goes, this is our build list:

-additional window over sink
-AC
-aluminum rims
-bike rack ready
-dual 6V batteries
-Equalizer hitch
-exterior 110V outlet
-exterior access hatch (ft. driver’s side)
-additional LED (high mount) brake lights
-exterior shower
-extra insulation and thermal windows
-small counter ext. on bed side of wall (by oven)
-LED porch light
-LED interior lights
-storage box
-extra 110v outlet by oven
-extra 100v outlet under passenger dinette
-oven w/3 burner cook top
-drawer under closet
-interior light switch for outside door light
-ss sink and faucet
-95w solar panel
-stereo
-fresh water tank mounted inside
-TV ready
-removable power cord
-wall mount TV arm
-2, 12V interior outlets
-door at end of bench by entry door
-2 separate reading lights above bed (we supplied)
-surge protector (we provided)
-we provided fabric and Formica

Our TV is a 05’ Tacoma, 4dr, long bed Pre Runner (not TRD or 4WD). I have searched and read but thought I would ask: Do folks with this combination have WD hitch? I am still leaning toward getting it but thought I would get some feedback. And yes I am very aware of the very poor rear suspension although at this point I have not added air bags or additional leafs.

Also does anyone with an interior mounted fresh water tank have a photo (Tammy does not have one)? I would really like to see how much room this takes up.

Looking forward to being a part of the Escape family.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
Re: Soon to be 19' Owners

Congrats again, Steve! It looks like you selected a nice set of options for your new Escape19. I'm particularly jealous of the storage box since it wasn't available back when Grasshopper hatched. Hopefully one day I'll get an opportunity to bring her back to the nest to get retrofitted with one.

For me, the smoother ride and extra control/stability provided by the wdh to our 4Runner is well worth the tradeoff of a little extra weight and effort hooking up - regardless of whether or not it's required.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Congrats on your upcoming 19, Steve. We are loving ours as much now as when we picked it up 2 1/2 years ago.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #4

Congratultions on the new trailer! I see you are getting the additional window over the sink. We got that option and like the additional light. I only wish the window opened. See if Reace can put in an opening window for you. You'll appreciate the additional ventilation.

Dave
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Dave, we find that with the 5 venting windows, and the 3 ceiling vents, that we rarely have more than one or two windows open at a time. I don't think the front slider has ever been used, just the four on the sides. There may also be an issue with a hood fan vent by a venting window too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #6

Jim;
Interesting point about the vent fan and an opening sink window. Since we've never used the vent fan, I didn't think of that. Here in the hot and humid South, every little bit of air flow is precious.

Dave
Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'

Hey Steve,

Looks like you are getting lots of stuff. I know you will love your 19.

Three of the new Escapes are at the PineKnot rally in Crockett, TX. We are having a good time showing them off. Of course our 5.0 is now old (2 months), compared to Jackie and Pam's (two weeks). :-) We will have a good time when you get your 19. Lots of choices for the other folds to see at the rallies.

Vicki
Old 10-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #8

Vicki,
Can't wait to join the club! Tell everyone hello at the rally.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
davel

If I may ask, what surge protector did you choose, and will it work with a generator?

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #10

Dave,
I am borrowing Harold's idea on this one. See this thread http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=1632.0. Although I always check the pedastal before pluging in (and will probably still do so) I thought this would be good, added protection. I think I got the same unit as Harold-bought mine at Tweetys.com. I am not sure if this will work with the generator but I imagine it would.

Steve
Old 10-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I added the same Progressive surge protector. If you have an inverter generator you may find you need to add a tie between the ground pin & the neutral (wide blade) to keep the surge protector from deciding you have an open ground and refusing to allow power through to your trailer.

It isn't really an open ground, but has to do with the way almost all RV protective devices detect an open ground - they look for a connection between the neutral & ground. This connection takes place at the campground service entrance panel. Inverter generators use the frame of the generator as ground. Perfectly legal, but it confuses the surge protector. Making the tie between neutral and ground with an adapter, rewiring an out-of-warentee generator, or simply taking an empty plug, adding a tie between the neutral & ground pins, and plugging it into the unused side of the outlet on the generator will solve the problem. Although I know individuals that have done this with Honda & Yamaha generators, there are many others on the market - before making the ground neutral tie be sure it won't cause damage. For example, some non-generator inverters let out the magic smoke that keeps them alive if the tie is made.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #12

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Steve,

Here is a great mod that my son thought of, have Reace install a switch and 12 volt outlet just inside of the under bed storage area. My son then installed 12 volt rope lights to the bed supports. Now we can easily see everything that's in the storage area. Here are two pictures of out lighting setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Lights.JPG   Switch.JPG  
Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #13

Great idea-thanks. Will consider but most of our under bed storage will be taken by the fresh water tank. Need to think some more on this one.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #14

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Steve, notice the black patches on the floor? These are Velcro pads. My son goes to WSU football games and in Pullman, Washington, it does get COLD. So he has a removable water tank setup under the bed. The Velcro holds the tank in place. He has plumbed the removable water tank into the existing Escape water plumbing.

Here's how it works. Drain the Escape water tank. Place the removable water tank under the bed. When he arrives at WSU, he transfers water from a few 5 gallon jugs into the removable water tank using an electrical pump -- you can see the pump just behind the light switch. If the removable water tank is not yet empty when he is ready to leave, he just turns on a faucet until the tank is empty.

He is very careful to not have water in both the Escape water tank and the removable water tank and take off down the road. That's way too much weight in the rear and more than likely to cause, shall we say, a major problem.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #15

I've heard of a lot of different mods but that is really good, especially if you boondock a lot. Another great idea.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Hi Steve,
Looking forward to seeing you and Cynthia again. Let us know if she wants to come with you the next time to see our Escape 19. Oops-you did tell her you came for a visit? Just kidding. We had a great time at Pineknot and may have some additional Escape owners in the future!
Duke and Beverlee
sandypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #17

Thanks Beverlee. We will probably take you up on that and yes she knew I came out

Steve