Soon to be 19' Owners - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Re: Soon to be 19' Owners

I added the same Progressive surge protector. If you have an inverter generator you may find you need to add a tie between the ground pin & the neutral (wide blade) to keep the surge protector from deciding you have an open ground and refusing to allow power through to your trailer.

It isn't really an open ground, but has to do with the way almost all RV protective devices detect an open ground - they look for a connection between the neutral & ground. This connection takes place at the campground service entrance panel. Inverter generators use the frame of the generator as ground. Perfectly legal, but it confuses the surge protector. Making the tie between neutral and ground with an adapter, rewiring an out-of-warentee generator, or simply taking an empty plug, adding a tie between the neutral & ground pins, and plugging it into the unused side of the outlet on the generator will solve the problem. Although I know individuals that have done this with Honda & Yamaha generators, there are many others on the market - before making the ground neutral tie be sure it won't cause damage. For example, some non-generator inverters let out the magic smoke that keeps them alive if the tie is made.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #12

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Steve,

Here is a great mod that my son thought of, have Reace install a switch and 12 volt outlet just inside of the under bed storage area. My son then installed 12 volt rope lights to the bed supports. Now we can easily see everything that's in the storage area. Here are two pictures of out lighting setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lights.JPG (32.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Switch.JPG (33.5 KB, 70 views)

Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21

Great idea-thanks. Will consider but most of our under bed storage will be taken by the fresh water tank. Need to think some more on this one.
Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3L, 4x4
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #14

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Steve, notice the black patches on the floor? These are Velcro pads. My son goes to WSU football games and in Pullman, Washington, it does get COLD. So he has a removable water tank setup under the bed. The Velcro holds the tank in place. He has plumbed the removable water tank into the existing Escape water plumbing.

Here's how it works. Drain the Escape water tank. Place the removable water tank under the bed. When he arrives at WSU, he transfers water from a few 5 gallon jugs into the removable water tank using an electrical pump -- you can see the pump just behind the light switch. If the removable water tank is not yet empty when he is ready to leave, he just turns on a faucet until the tank is empty.

He is very careful to not have water in both the Escape water tank and the removable water tank and take off down the road. That's way too much weight in the rear and more than likely to cause, shall we say, a major problem.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #15

I've heard of a lot of different mods but that is really good, especially if you boondock a lot. Another great idea.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Hi Steve,
Looking forward to seeing you and Cynthia again. Let us know if she wants to come with you the next time to see our Escape 19. Oops-you did tell her you came for a visit? Just kidding. We had a great time at Pineknot and may have some additional Escape owners in the future!
Duke and Beverlee
sandypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #17

Thanks Beverlee. We will probably take you up on that and yes she knew I came out

Steve