Sore back from driving - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Two things - yoga and reduced mileage. When we are young, usually time in the car doesn’t affect us. As we age, the various aches and pains seem to sneak up on us. If we are retired, then this is the time to enjoy the journey instead of just the destination.
Very good advice Kevin ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
All super advice, much appreciated!
My most important consideration when shopping for our trailer was enough floor space to do my yoga and stretching!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
....... When I have been working hard and exercising more, the pain lessens. ........
Like getting off the backhoe and digging it w/a shovel.

(been there, done that - no room for the nice equipment!! Now I'm paying for it )
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
All super advice, much appreciated!
My most important consideration when shopping for our trailer was enough floor space to do my yoga and stretching!
Hi: Lynn L... The thing that gives me the biggest PITA is not the truck seat. It's the GPS sending me the wrong way around. We get to see lots of extra country though!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
FYI check out the seating/driving cushion selection at this store! https://www.relaxtheback.com/
Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The cushion is miracle cushion with a gray cover. Re piriformus, i have a small rolling pin (total 8 inches) that i use to roll from hip down my leg and back--it's a big help since I don't have a live in masseuse : * } also rolling on the piriformus sitting on the floor on one or two tennis balls in a sock helps a bunch. roll in the direction of your leg and back, not side to side. you will know if you have the tennis balls in the right place!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Two things - yoga and reduced mileage. When we are young, usually time in the car doesn’t affect us. As we age, the various aches and pains seem to sneak up on us. If we are retired, then this is the time to enjoy the journey instead of just the destination.
Strongly agree with this. I got sciatica in early 2014. It persisted for some time and limited my activities. Yoga has done wonders. Lindy's cousin also gave me this cushion for driving and it seems to help. I think yoga or some sort of stretching exercise is essential as we age. Like retirement, my only regret is that I didn't start it earlier
Old 11-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Link isn't working for me Leon.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Link isn't working for me Leon.
Glenn, try this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Hermell-Produ...iatica+cushion

Sorry about that.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 19
Try to keep your driving to 4 hours or less. We are so conditioned to be in a hurry. Reject that, and plan you trip to be at your next stop in 250 missed or so. Smell the roses, live in the moment, whatever. Often my best stops are not the ones I expected.
Kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
While driving for long periods of time, I like to stop periodically and stretch my muscles out to keep things loose. It also helps to have a comfortable seat in the car and to make sure that fat wallet is removed from my back pocket. However, many of those aches and pains that we experience with aging can be reduced or even eliminated. (Do I sound like an advertisement? ). Exercise, particularly strength training for your core muscles, is the key to minimizing the effects of muscle deterioration and loss that occurs with aging. We need to be hitting the gym instead of sitting on the couch watching tv and munching on chips.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
While driving for long periods of time, I like to stop periodically and stretch my muscles out to keep things loose. It also helps to have a comfortable seat in the car and to make sure that fat wallet is removed from my back pocket. However, many of those aches and pains that we experience with aging can be reduced or even eliminated. (Do I sound like an advertisement? ). Exercise, particularly strength training for your core muscles, is the key to minimizing the effects of muscle deterioration and loss that occurs with aging. We need to be hitting the gym instead of sitting on the couch watching tv and munching on chips.
Very true everything you said . Sometimes the aches and pains are from not just sitting but the overuse and work you did in life . It now comes back to haunt you later in life . But the old saying" if you don't use it , you lose it " really rings true . Find whatever you can do to keep moving . Pat
Old 11-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Very true everything you said . Sometimes the aches and pains are from not just sitting but the overuse and work you did in life . It now comes back to haunt you later in life . But the old saying" if you don't use it , you lose it " really rings true . Find whatever you can do to keep moving . Pat
Pat, wrt to your "keep moving" comment, if all goes well I am going to be up in your neck of the woods for a few days in May 2018 to run in the Mountains 2 Beach Marathon in Ojai-Ventura. Unfortunately, it will be a quick "there and back" trip and we won't have time to drive out with the Escape.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Pat, wrt to your "keep moving" comment, if all goes well I am going to be up in your neck of the woods for a few days in May 2018 to run in the Mountains 2 Beach Marathon in Ojai-Ventura. Unfortunately, it will be a quick "there and back" trip and we won't have time to drive out with the Escape.
Hi Dave Ojai-Ventura is still a little north of us , about a hour + . But good for you doing the Marathon ! If I can remember we can check it out and maybe see you . We love the beach ! Pat
Old 11-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #35

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I stash a small pillow between me and the center console on the Tundra. I find that I tend to lean over onto the console and this helps a bit. As does getting out every 1.5-2 hours to stretch and walk around a bit.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote