Sore back from driving - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Sore back from driving

As much as I am looking forward to our upcoming adventures I also know that when I get to where I am going I will look like someone from the “Walking Dead”. How do folks handle stiffness and sore backs after driving for longer periods?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Heated seats and stopping to stretch fairly often.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
piling on: I stop almost hourly, stretch, walk and it helps a good deal. The other thing that helps me is a heated seat. There was a time when I thought this was luxury item but it really seems to make a difference so you might consider this option if you happen to be vehicle shopping.

Road song re sore backs...

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm embracing pain seems like my body aches all the time. Its better when I'm active but when ever i stop moving and sit for a while i ache like I'm old - but i guess i am getting old. The Dr said i have arthritis in all my joints. When i drive i try to stop and walk around when i can also good lumber support is helpful.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes i have a heated seat too and i love it!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Never thought of heated seats, might have to try them on the next truck. Best I can do now is stop every couple hours and get out of the car, which I usually have to do for other reasons. I also use an inch or so thick memory foam seat cushion. It's more my butt or sciatic nerve that get to me after 6 or so hours, last truck it was the lower back.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I can empathize with Fox hunt , I also have arthritis in my joints ,especially my knees , hips and small of my back. I find that heated seats , lumbar support and getting out to walk every two hours helps immensely.
We once made the mistake of taking a long road trip in my wife's Pontiac G6 . On several occasions when arriving at our destination I had trouble exiting our vehicle .I literally had to fall out of the car onto the ground and crawl around until I was able to stand up with my wife's help.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can buy heated seat covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 4.25.38 PM.png  
Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Heated seats, adjustable lumbar support, adjustable pedals, heated steering wheel, cruise control all help with long distance driving. I always try out the tow vehicle for comfort before buying as a comfortable seat makes for an enjoyable trip. In addition compression socks also help with leg cramps.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I have a sciatic nerve problem that affects my hip and foot that worsens when pushing the accelerator over long trips. I find daily stretching is the most effective over taking anti-inflammatories or heat (90/90 hip flexor stretch and a seated hip stretch).
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I can empathize with Fox hunt , I also have arthritis in my joints ,especially my knees , hips and small of my back. I find that heated seats , lumbar support and getting out to walk every two hours helps immensely.
We once made the mistake of taking a long road trip in my wife's Pontiac G6 . On several occasions when arriving at our destination I had trouble exiting our vehicle .I literally had to fall out of the car onto the ground and crawl around until I was able to stand up with my wife's help.
I always stop along the road going into a Campground where there’s a signpost or some trees so I can pull myself up and stagger around for a bit. It’s embarassing when you can’t get out of the TV to spot the trailer I rarely drive over 150 to 180 miles without stopping. I have heard of Advil being called Visiting Dr. I and it helps me some too.
Dave
Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
according to a physical therapist i know, the sciatica is often because that nerve goes through the piriformis. if you google it, there are stretches especially for that. also he recommended keeping your knees lower than your hips by adjusting your seat and/or sitting on a cushion. the cushion that works for me is from bed bath and beyond.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Steve couldn't send you a pm . Glad to still see you here Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is a shame that once we retire and have free time to camp, our health gets in the way of our enjoyment.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Steve couldn't send you a pm . Glad to still see you here Pat
Thank You ! , Hope you have a great Thanksgiving Holiday.
My best wishes to you and yours.
We're having our immediate family for Thanksgiving ,all 21 of them ,so we will be spending a lot of time in the kitchen . I hope a 26 lb turkey is big enough .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thank You ! , Hope you have a great Thanksgiving Holiday.
My best wishes to you and yours.
We're having our immediate family for Thanksgiving ,all 21 of them ,so we will be spending a lot of time in the kitchen . I hope a 26 lb turkey is big enough .
You also have a great Thanksgiving ! Wow enjoy your family . Thankyou for the best wishes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
according to a physical therapist i know, the sciatica is often because that nerve goes through the piriformis. if you google it, there are stretches especially for that. also he recommended keeping your knees lower than your hips by adjusting your seat and/or sitting on a cushion. the cushion that works for me is from bed bath and beyond.
I suffer from sciatica, and know the pirformis muscle very well. Not just there, but from the hip down the side of the thigh and calf right to the ankle. Lisa has become very good at massaging these areas. The piriformis is where I feel the most discomfort. I do also have a lots of stretches when it flairs up. I am fortunate that it settles a lot when seated. When working hard, biking or fast walking it does not bother me much. Meandering walking, like zoos and museums, and standing around really get it going.

I found this article with stretches that first made me realise it was my piriformis muscle flaring up bad, the diagram for me was like "Yeah, that's it!" Many of these stretches I figured out on my own out of necessity, others were great to learn.

https://dailyhealthpost.com/piriformis-stretch/
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I find my back bothers me a more when driving at times when I am not in as good of shape as I should be. When I have been working hard and exercising more, the pain lessens. Yoga is a great help too.

There are so many different back issues, that no one thing will work for everyone though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Do you recall which cushion you purchased?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Two things - yoga and reduced mileage. When we are young, usually time in the car doesn’t affect us. As we age, the various aches and pains seem to sneak up on us. If we are retired, then this is the time to enjoy the journey instead of just the destination.