Southern California Camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape
Southern California Camping

Hey all.....
My wife and I are thinking of traveling with our 21 foot Escape trailer from our home in British Columbia down to Southern California for a couple months of warmer weather.
We would like to depart later this month (November) and route through Washington, Idaho, and Utah, towards Las Vegas and then on to Southern California. We don't plan on stopping in Las Vegas but would like to see the Grande Canyon along the way. I thought probably 5 to 6 days to get down south.
We have friends of ours that are going to be staying at a trailer park (Bashfords) near the Salton Sea for the winter months and I have a relative staying in Yuma as well for the winter.
To be honest I'm not sure I can sit in a trailer park, row on row, with no foliage to speak of, like the ones I have seen online in Yuma. We spoke of Quartzsite but then again, we would like to have water and sewer if possible.
We would like to have a little space so we are not right on top of each other. We have two dogs (our babies) that we are taking along as well, so would like some walking trails nearby that we can take them on.
Seems like most of the parks that we can find on the internet around the Salton Sea and Yuma are around $400 - $500 American for the month which is within our budget.
Now the question......can anyone recommend some parks that book by the month, and can offer us more than just a large paved area to look out at each and every day??
We appreciate any help and advice you can offer. We know we are asking a lot, but what we don't want to do is travel 2500 kilometers and get to the a big parking lot that we don't want to stay at.
Thanks again for your help.
Nelsonjald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonjald View Post
Now the question......can anyone recommend some parks that book by the month, and can offer us more than just a large paved area to look out at each and every day??
My in-laws have been going to Borrego Springs for 2 months for the past 5 or so winters. They really enjoy the area and all it has to offer. Take a look and see if it interests you.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Seems all, or nearly all, the private campgrounds in snowbird areas are parking lots, FL too. We did state parks in FL last winter and are doing the same in AZ this year. Can only stay in one for 2 weeks before having to leave so we are moving around, which isn't really a bad thing. Unfortunately, chances are you are too late to do the same, they get booked up pretty quick.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #4

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
SW for the winter

If you are going to be in Utah and Vegas area you may want to look at Tucson then
I-8 to Yuma and then up to Salton Sea Via hwy 86.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Went to Tuscon before Thanksgiving two years ago and was told the snowbird season really doesn't start until after New Year. Limited public campgrounds though due to fierce RV Lobby in AZ. Catalina S.P. is where most go and is reserve-able. B loop got new bathrooms recently. Our favorite is Gilbert Rey County campground near the Desert Museum. No reservations- 7 day max then have to scram for 7 before you can come back; electric but no showers.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello Nelsonjald.
We have been at The Fountain of Youth.They are located close to Bashfords.
We met Canadians in Yuma that told us about the place.They came from Calgary and always go to Fountain of Youth to get acclimatised for a few days.
You can go to the top shelf (top right) for no service but dumpstation and water
available to fill your tank.Just use your solarpanel.We visited The Fountain of Youth(2013) we were sold the de luxe package so stayed three days.BBQ supplied shaded patio full hookup w. cablevision.Library , laundrymat TV room.$ 49.00 at the time.They have monthly rates also.We shopped in Indio.
They have three swimming pools a little grocery store and lots of activities.
Selling propane and ice for your drinks.
I think we will stop by there on our next trip south, have a safe trip.
Allan.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape
Thanks everyone for the responses. I've looked at your suggestions and have called The Fountain of Youth. Looks like we will be heading there for the next couple of months. Now to get the trailer and truck loaded.
Thanks again.
Jim
Nelsonjald is offline   Reply With Quote