Spare tire bolts - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Interesting, I’ll check mine shortly. I have a utility trailer with a heavy duty tailgate. It has a tubular framework. Water got in somehow and the tubular steel bulged at the bottom. I store it now so water cannot accumulate and freeze. I’m going to drill it in the spring too, it’s needing some attention and I’m going to use it to haul wood from some green ash I’m going to take out.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Be careful drilling underneath, the water may get you before you can get out of the way. I was directly underneath, applying firm pressure to the drill to penetrate the rear bumper.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Jim it was the trailers way of saying you were working up a sweat n needed to be cooled off
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hole in the bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Jim it was the trailers way of saying you were working up a sweat n needed to be cooled off
Jim, could you make that bumper hole a little bigger and get a rubber plug oh I don’t know, say about the size of a big bulb of garlic? “Hello headquarters, I’ve got a garlic smuggler here”
Iowa Dave
Old 01-26-2020, 04:16 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Jim, could you make that bumper hole a little bigger and get a rubber plug oh I don’t know, say about the size of a big bulb of garlic? “Hello headquarters, I’ve got a garlic smuggler here”
Iowa Dave
Interesting I was thinking a hollow bumper is ideal for smuggling, but I'm sure Customs is on top of of that, remember The French Connection where they tore that Lincoln apart for the drugs...
Old 01-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
What about welding the tire carrier to the flange it's bolted to, or having it welded? I'm sort of surprised it's bolted on to begin with.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:02 AM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
What about welding the tire carrier to the flange it's bolted to, or having it welded? I'm sort of surprised it's bolted on to begin with.
Trailer frames are usually fabricated in batches by a supplier who stacks them up to ship them to the trailer manufacturer, and I think this is true at Escape. A spare tire carrier sticking up would not work well with this system, so it makes sense that it is bolted on later.

Done properly, a welded joint would work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Went out and removed the bolt through the bumper to add washers, the bottom nut was rusted and now I understand. The bumper had water inside and started draining out. I went inside and got my drill and 1/4" bit and drilled a hole next to the tire hitch mount, about a quart of water gushed out. Went and drilled another hole on the other side, nothing, similarly on the rear tube brace. So I'm speculating that corrosion on that rear bolt may have caused it to fail on the older models. A small drain hole underneath may prevent future issues also.
I replaced the factory tire carrier bolts today with 3/8” Grade 8 bolts & Grade 8 nuts , flat washers , lock washers and a coat of paint . Probably overkill considering the thickness of the rear bumper metal
I was going to drill drain holes in the rear bumper as Jim N suggested but I discovered the factory had already done it
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote