spare trailer brake light bulbs (leds) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
A few days ago I noticed that one of the running lights on my 19' had a few spent led bulbs. How difficult are these to replace? I don't have any desire to buy a riveter.
I don't know about your 2009, but the lights on my trailer were put on with Robertson fasteners.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Donna,
Are all your lights Robertson or just the large ones, the small markers in the past were riveted.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #23
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This is exactly why I requested the old style incandescent marker lights with LED bulbs on BlackJack, no replacement issues.
Well that certainly won't help the OP on their way to pick up the trailer, or anyone with LED lights on their trailer.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
may help future owners, past, present, and future are all members here.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would expect that ETI would be the best source of spare parts, since OP is going there anyway.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #26

Trailer: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
They are turn signals.
Jack
thanks, to all. that pretty much wraps it up for me. the video was impressive. now all I have to do is wait a year and pick it up! we are touring the plant this summer so I will hone in on that spare tail lamp then, and determine if I need it or not. are the top and bottom lights on the 21 redundant systems?
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
LED lights fail for two common reasons.
1st.) the contacts can corrode. Any light will fail of the wires corrode to the point where the electrical connection is broken.
2nd.) Physical damage. If the circuit board is broken or exposed to the elements the light or part of the light will fail. How the light is manufactured can determine how much of the light fails.
I would add a third: manufacturing defects which can take quite a while to become apparent. For instance, traces on circuit boards can fail without exposure, if not properly made.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
I guess the top lights on a 21 are only for brakes?
Like almost all trailers in North America, an Escape uses a combined stop+turn system: there are only three lighting circuits to the trailer
  1. tail or running: tail lights, marker lights on the side, clearance lamps in the top corners of front and rear, and wide vehicle identification (ID) group
  2. left: combined stop (brake) and turn signal, flashes for left turn, goes on in combination with right combined stop+turn for stop (brake) indication
  3. right: combined stop (brake) and turn signal, flashes for right turn, goes on in combination with left combined stop+turn for stop (brake) indication
Since stop and turn are combined, there's no easy way to have a lamp that is only for the brakes - if it works for brakes, it also works for turns, as others have already confirmed.

The clearance lights and wide vehicle identification group are needed for trailers (including every current Escape other than the 17') which are more than 2.0 metres or 80 inches wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
are the top and bottom lights on the 21 redundant systems?
In the version shown on Escape's web page for the 21' the three ID lamps are combined in one large unit (in the middle - one lens but three distinct spots of light when on), and large units are used on each side for both the clearance function, and presumably stop+turn; that would make the top outer lamps functionally redundant with the lower lamps. They may be identical lamps.

Escape rear lamp configurations have occasionally changed, and are not quite consistent between models, but since the current 21' options list doesn't include extra tail lights, I assume the setup described above is standard equipment for that model.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #29

Trailer: looking
since the top and bottom lights are redundant, I don't need to worry about a spare.
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer running lights