Stealth options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: ?
Question Stealth options

On my initial Build Sheet were a list of Standard Options plus some called Additional Options.

Searching through this forum, I have come across a number of very useful Stealth Options. That being an option that is not listed as either a Standard Option or as an Additional Option on the Build Sheet presented to a buyer.

For example
Reinforcing wall/s with 3/4" plywood
Adding a kitchen window on a 21'
Adding custom graphics on the exterior.

Granted that some options would only apply to certain models and that a list of any, and all, options, no matter how small, would run page after page making it impractical for ETI to provide.

What Stealth Options did you chose that you found to be especially useful and difficult or quite expensive to do after the fact.

Even though I'm past the deadline to avoid the $200 fee for changing options, I've been able to add Stealth Options without incurring the fee. Nice people to work with. But I don't want to press my luck.

Thanks

Ed
21' on order.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not sure it is 3/4 wall reinforcement, maybe 3/8", but either way. Choosing amber lens for exterior lights, moving the curb side light down, below the belly band to illuminate the step, moving shower to kitchen curb side. Switching out captain lights for the pancake lights in o/h cabinets only. Also enlarging the "U" dinette as well as cutting the large cushions in half.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
No idea which of these are still doable or which are now standard.

Install customer supplied cables for battery monitor
Texas Fan for fridge
5th Aluminum rim
exterior 12v outlet
Amber lens for porch light
add switch at door for interior ceiling light and one for driver side exterior
extra door and hinged for microwave cabinet, in case we found we didn't want the MW.
prewire for solar
prewire for stereo
reinforce walls
all the extra odds and ends for the dinette, legs, raised floor, bench bench width, etc.
counter extensions
Old 12-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We chose the u-shape dinette, but modified with the following, and would do it again:
  • Extend the back bench from rear trailer wall to front of seat from 18-22" - $235
  • 4" thick back rest cushion (for along back wall of u-shape dinette) - $65
  • Modify the two cushions - (back rest and rear U cushion seat) divide both into two cushions - $100
  • Two additional filler cushions for U-shape dinette - ($105 each) $210
  • Full wrap on all cushions - $100
We also:
12v/usb outlet, outside,next to entry door. I plug in my air compressor and Garmin for the car, plus charge usb electronics outside when we're out there. We would definitely do it again.

We did NOT install the table or base. We were going to install a Lagun table, but now don't want one. We have a portable 26" x 18" Lifetime folding table We're very happy with this choice. Most of the time the table sits outside.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
New friends of ours that just got their 21 and ETI installed microwave also got the door that usually is installed if you don’t get the microwave. They will be installing it on one of the free walls at the end of the bed. If you are getting a 19, it fits perfect at the end of the bench seat. I did not ask if they had to pay for it.

You can also get some items not installed like the table legs and the outside power cord hatch...if you have other plans.

If you ask they will also give you two free fiberglass window cut outs should you have a plan for them.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Do remember that a lot of these past additional unlisted options folks have gotten will no longer be done by Escape, as the chance for error is too high if it is a one off thing (I had one of these in my build) and there is the additional learning and supervising time to do some of them.

Still, there are lots that they will still do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
And depending on model year, some former options become standard (like the 2"x2" box hitch on the rear bumper and the cubby holes in the 21'), some former standard items become options, and some things disappear altogether (like multiple box hitches on the rear). It is what it is ... when it is, that is.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
from that list, on my 17a completed last March:

exterior 12v outlet-- was an option, i did not choose
Amber lens for porch light--asked and received, no charge
add switch at door for interior ceiling light --was standard, also a second switch that operates entry door outside light
switch for driver side exterior light --did not want
reinforce walls--i requested reinforce entry wall (side of refrig/microwave cabinet, $100.

also asked for double dinette rather than fixed bed at front--$450
Door at end of front drivers side dinette bench--$85
no hang rod in wardrobe no charge
no decal on front window rock guard no charge
full wrap on cushions no charge beyond supplying custom fabric
cut table for front dinette into two pieces (to my measurements) and edge both $100

I did ask for two of the seat cushions to be cut in half. the cost was quoted at 300 and i declined.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We had the "Texas Fan" installed as an option. Added a window over the drawer stack (above the furnace). Added a small cabinet over the microwave cabinet (we didn't get the microwave). This little cabinet is great for things like pans, paper products, etc. And, lastly, we added the Springfield pedestal on the table.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We had the "Texas Fan" installed as an option.
Just what is a ‘Texas Fan’?

I installed the small computer type fans in the ref. chimney when that was all the rage. Never saw much cooling improvement but the mod was cheap enough to do.

Maybe a Texas Fan?

Thanks.
Ed
Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure it is 3/4 wall reinforcement, maybe 3/8", but either way
I need to install assist bars for my wife in the bath and bed area just like you did so the reinforced wall was of interest.

Linda said the plywood was 3/4”. A sheet of 3/4” plywood, per Google, weighs over 60#.

I’m determined to keep the out-the-door weight of the trailer with selected options to 3,700# and certainly less than 3,800# so I’m going to pass on the reinforced wall.

During the build process, I’m going to request photos of the wall separating the bath and bed before any paneling is installed. That will help me decide where to install the necessary assist bars. At least that’s the plan.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Texas fan is a thermistor controlled computer fan in the back of the fridge, supposedly to keep the rear cooler when it's in the sun or similar.

I don't camp when it's really hot but had one installed in case I ever decided to. From my limited experience trying it out, it made no difference, the thermistor is rated too high. Keep in mind, this was in 2014.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Are the still doing the additional cabinet in place of the table top over the drawer stack on a 21? The extra storage is far more useful to me than the tabletop, and they added a fold out shelf towards the bed that works well. I believe it was a $350.00 option.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #14

Another thing I just found out was that the A/C system does not include a heat strip. A $125 option.

Prior experience tells me that a small, portable electric heater does a better job at a fraction of the cost. Plus it doesn’t require the noisy A/C blower.

Ed
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Yes Jon they are we went with that option for the extra storage space
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #16

I thought that I had read here that an additional kitchen window was available in the 21’.
It’s not. Or at least not anymore.
You can get an additional window over the drawer stack.

Ed
Old 12-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
When I saw the thread title I thought someone had come out with a new camo wrap that would make for easier stealth camping.

All one has to do is read some threads on mods etc. over the years to very quickly realize the Escape Trailers are a work in progress. It would be unrealistic to think that a list of options, listed or otherwise, could be frozen in time. Maybe for Scamp but not for Escapes.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Texas fan is a thermistor controlled computer fan in the back of the fridge, supposedly to keep the rear cooler when it's in the sun or similar.

I don't camp when it's really hot but had one installed in case I ever decided to. From my limited experience trying it out, it made no difference, the thermistor is rated too high. Keep in mind, this was in 2014.
The Texas Fan is no longer available per Linda.
At least not on the 21’ fridge
Old 12-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
When I saw the thread title I thought someone had come out with a new camo wrap that would make for easier stealth camping.

All one has to do is read some threads on mods etc. over the years to very quickly realize the Escape Trailers are a work in progress. It would be unrealistic to think that a list of options, listed or otherwise, could be frozen in time. Maybe for Scamp but not for Escapes.

Ron
Frozen in time. No.
Available today? Yes.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
I thought that I had read here that an additional kitchen window was available in the 21’.
It’s not. Or at least not anymore.
You can get an additional window over the drawer stack.

Ed
The kitchen window is standard in the 21 vs the 19 and it must be by the sink, not the stove, so there is not room for a second window there. The option is still available on the opposite wall, over the 2 drawer night stand which can have the optional flip up table installed also there. Perfect for charging as the 12v USB is there also.