Stolen Escape 19' (South Surrey) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With using the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, a thief would either have to have that set up in their truck, or minimally have a regular 5th wheel hitch, and dismantle the kingpin coupler which is solidly bolted to the kingpin.

On my 19, I never used anything but trust in my fellow man.
Or a crane & a flatbed! If the want it bad enough.....
That's why we have insurance - be happy, don't worry!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Does anyone have a wheel lock they like and can recommend for a 17?

This resurrected thread got me thinking about buying one.
I'd use it during storage at home.
I'm wondering if anyone hauls a wheel lock along for use when they are on the road?

Larry

This one looks good, I can't make out the brand http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...icture663.html
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
That's why we have insurance - be happy, don't worry!
Wise words!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Does anyone have a wheel lock they like and can recommend for a 17?

This resurrected thread got me thinking about buying one.
I'd use it during storage at home.
I'm wondering if anyone hauls a wheel lock along for use when they are on the road?

Larry

This one looks good, I can't make out the brand Escape Trailer Owners Community - Stuff's Album: Trailer - Picture
Called the Big Easy by California Immobilizer- proudly made in Nanaimo, B.C. Own it and use it when boondocking or overnighting at my Bro-in law's in Bakersfield
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
At home I just use a hitch lock because it's not a high risk area. But we might leave our trailer down Texas way and fly home for a couple of weeks. If we do leave it in a commercial storage yard I'll probably crawl under and do a wee brake adjustment. Thieves would have to use a flat deck to get it because I doubt they'd take the time to figure out why it wouldn't move and then do a brake adjustment.

Probably overkill but I would be annoyed if someone just hooked up and easily took it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
With using the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, a thief would either have to have that set up in their truck, or minimally have a regular 5th wheel hitch, and dismantle the kingpin coupler which is solidly bolted to the kingpin.
... or any tow truck with a ball adapter, or a flatdeck with a deck-mounted tow ball (as commonly used with gooseneck trailers such as for livestock)
... but I agree that an obscure coupler would make a trailer more difficult to steal.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
At the suggestion of Rossue, we picked up two items directly from California Immobilizer in Nanaimo before our first trip in 2014: a trailer wheel boot, and a trailer coupler lock.

The Original California Immobilizer Trailer Wheel Boot: Trailer Wheel Boots - California Immobilizer

Universal Coupler Lock #G00109: Universal Trailer Coupler Locks - California Immobilizer

We use the hitch lock at home between trips, and pretty well everywhere we camp, since we are away from our campsites most days on multi-hour hikes and other explorations. Although our neighbourhood is low crime (touch wood), we leave the wheel lock on under a wheel cover during the off-season.

Note that for no extra charge California Immobilizer will key the locks on all devices you buy to work with the same key, thus slightly reducing the "maximum security institution guard" look to the typical trailer owner's key-ring.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #48

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We bought the Princess Auto wheel lock a couple years ago--it is hidden under the wheel cover whenever it is at home anyway.
Have always used the hitch lock since we bought the trailer.
Live on a fairly well travelled road and in a townhouse complex both neighbours are home a lot--one with a new babe another with a son that works shifts and I work shifts....So far so good!!
But I do have replacement insurance and there are a few new options I would get!!!!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
But I do have replacement insurance and there are a few new options I would get!!!!
Very important to have replacement cost insurance, as you will get compensated for the full amount of what your trailer would cost new at the time of loss.

Too bad they wouldn't cover the costs of upgraded options though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If we do leave it in a commercial storage yard I'll probably crawl under and do a wee brake adjustment. Thieves would have to use a flat deck to get it because I doubt they'd take the time to figure out why it wouldn't move and then do a brake adjustment.

Probably overkill but I would be annoyed if someone just hooked up and easily took it.

Ron
*reminds self to bring a flat screwdriver, over better yet a brake adjustment tool, when visiting Texas*
Old 12-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
*reminds self to bring a flat screwdriver, over better yet a brake adjustment tool, when visiting Texas*
Good luck with that. Once you get your hands of that 5.0TA you probably wouldn't even look at a 19.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
We bought the Princess Auto wheel lock a couple years ago--it is hidden under the wheel cover whenever it is at home anyway.
Have always used the hitch lock since we bought the trailer.
Live on a fairly well travelled road and in a townhouse complex both neighbours are home a lot--one with a new babe another with a son that works shifts and I work shifts....So far so good!!
Replacement insurance is great, but how do you replace the two lost years waiting to get the replacement.......

Tags
info, stolen