Storage Box on 21 Yes or No - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Storage Box on 21 Yes or No

Okay I have only been on the Escape Owners Forum for 2 days and I am asking my second question on options already. 7 months and 2 days until I pick up my 21. That means at this rate I will ask 212 more questions before I even own my trailer.
My first thought about getting the storage box is that it's a no brainer, I should get it. If I don't get it where would I put my outside stuff like a patio mat, chairs, wheel chocks and levelers? But on the flip side it's $700, I like the way the Escape looks better without the box, and I'm not sure if I will run into a hitch weight problem. I am still leaning towards adding it to my build sheet. Any imput that will help in my decision would be appreciated.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I go with your "no-brainer get it" first thought. They are amazingly useful.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Okay I have only been on the Escape Owners Forum for 2 days and I am asking my second question on options already. 7 months and 2 days until I pick up my 21. That means at this rate I will ask 212 more questions before I even own my trailer.
My first thought about getting the storage box is that it's a no brainer, I should get it. If I don't get it where would I put my outside stuff like a patio mat, chairs, wheel chocks and levelers? But on the flip side it's $700, I like the way the Escape looks better without the box, and I'm not sure if I will run into a hitch weight problem. I am still leaning towards adding it to my build sheet. Any imput that will help in my decision would be appreciated.
Oh gosh yes get it.

especially if you are towing with a SUV, IIRC?

In it we have chocks, water hoses, electrical wires, gloves, plus our stove.... all tucked away. Easy to get to.

Plus it actually protects the front of the trailer, somewhat, from rocks and road gators.

I read of many many people who got it, most maybe?

and I read of a few who didn't get it, were very sad in the long run to not have it... and had no easy (cheap) way to get it later..... shipping to them was $$$$$$.

Highly recommended. Plus you get a discount, sort of, paying in US $.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #4

We're getting it... June...no brainer.

};^)
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 1721
Highly recommend the front box. It allows for quicker setups and departures. I keep a water hose, blocks, chocks, and other miscellaneous items there. It's nice not having to keep moving those items from a box in the garage to the truck and then back when we return home. The box allows for efficiency and organization. The only thing I wish I had done was to ask Escape to put the lid hinge on the passenger side. That's the side closest to where you camp and where I open it the most.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21'
We are also getting the front storage box in June . I have one on my Scamp and love it.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes, yes, yes, absolutely yes-keeps all the dirty stuff out of the trailer!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
It does seem expensive but it is so useful. Especially the wet, muddy stuff when you have to break-down in the rain.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Imagine yourself storing all your stuff without the box. Where will you put what. What handling will it take to store it and to get it. Ask yourself: where am I going to put susandso when it is damp or wet?
Then answer the same questions, visualizing that expensive storage box in the front of your beautiful trailer.
The answers you give yourselves will determine the price you are willing to pay, and you might find it worth spending that extra $700 (or not)
Old 10-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
At the risk of repeating myself from previous threads, we opted not to get the tongue-mounted utility box ($700 CAD) and have not regretted it. Instead, we got the driver-side rear hatch ($150 CAD), and that's where we put our electrical cords, wheel chocks, stabilizer pads, etc., and that hatch also gives us direct outside access to the water pump, winterizing t-valve and primary electrical components under the dinette bench without disturbing the dinette bench from the inside. Our water hoses and water related items all go in the front driver-side hatch (under the bed). Not getting the front utility box lightens the tongue a bit and frees up that area on the tongue for a tray-style bike rack or a more secure aluminum diamond plate tool box. When you don't order the ETI utility box, they put snap-on/off vinyl protectors that have served us well so far. I should add that we tow with a pickup with camper shell, so anything "yucky" can just be thrown in the back of the pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09479.jpg   DSC09478.jpg   DSC09481.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Absolutely get it. Where else will you put that junk?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Yes , even though the latches and hard ware will rust and leave brown streaks running down the sides . It's a must have ... A mini man cave ....
Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If you tow with a pickup, unnecessary. If you tow with a SUV you’d probably want it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
The more storage, the better. GET THE BOX. I have 3 hatch doors too.

Regards,

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #15

Thank you all for the suggestions. I don't have a pick up truck so I think my first thought that it was a "no brainer" was the correct one. I will add it to my build sheet. AC :Yes, Sorage Box:Yes. Two down 40 to go.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If you tow with a pickup, unnecessary. If you tow with a SUV you’d probably want it.
Good idea. We are not putting items in a pick-up. Need the box. All of our many blocks and chocks go there and dirty sewer stuff and some hitch items in a little box. I don't want dirty stuff under the bed or in the trailer.

Yes, it is a big $700 but look at it in US dollars!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Not getting the front utility box lightens the tongue a bit and frees up that area on the tongue for a tray-style bike rack or a more secure aluminum diamond plate tool box.
Don't forget mini-split AC condenser! (But we also have a Stowaway box on the rear....agree that storage outside the trailer is a great thing to have)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1969.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If you tow with a pickup, unnecessary. ...
We tow with a pickup/topper. Didn't add the box until the last day to do so without penalty. Now, I don't know how I would have lived with out it. It holds all kinds of junk that I don't want in the pickup. Stuff that really needs to stay with the trailer.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Another vote for the box . On our build the box went on , off ,and so glad back on . You won't be disappointed and very glad . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:01 PM   #20

I am waivering on a box for our 21 build next year as well. What is the price to get one after the fact vs on a new trailer? We are close to ETI and a stop would just be a good reason to head to BC for a camping weekend.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote