Storage insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Storage insurance

I recently purchased a trailer from Escape, and asked them to store it at their location until next April, at which time I'll drive out there and get it. I was told that I need to get storage insurance for the trailer. So far my auto and homeowners insurance companies are being uncooperative about this. For those of you who have done this, please tell me how you went about it.

thanks,

Mike Lewis
Milton, Florida
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I thought that until we actually pick it up the trailer belongs to Escape.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #3

I didn't order my trailer; it was advertised on their website, so I bought and paid for a finished trailer. Escape offered to store it for me until spring, but they require the insurance.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I suspect that they (Escape) are happy to store the trailer as long as you want them to, but they would require that you pay for it first. Once you pay for it, it is yours and you are subject to a loss if anything happens to it. Thus, the need for insurance. This would be no different than having it sit in a storage lot over the winter months.

As a side note, I understand that if you get Escape to store your newly purchased trailer, they will not start the clock on your warranty until you actually pick it up (that is what they told us).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
So Mike, are you 50 or older? When we bought our trailer, my insurance company (21st Century) wanted over $400/yr. to insure it. As an AARP member (thus the age question), I contacted their related insurance co. -- Hartford. Got the trailer insured for $200/yr, and they beat 21st on my car policies, too. It may well be worth it for you to look into getting the trailer insured now thru Hartford, even though you're not picking it up until April.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #6

I was able to insure the trailer for use on the road via my current auto insurance. However, insuring the trailer for storage is a different issue, and the fact that it is in Canada seems to complicate things. I tried to get a rider on my homeowners policy and got nowhere. So I'm curious as to how others in this situation managed to resolve it.

Mike L.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #7

Today I went to another office of my auto insurance company. This time I was assured that the trailer is indeed covered while it sits in storage in Chilliwack. So hopefully the matter is closed. Thanks for the replies.

Mike L.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Mike
In the US Good Sams offers a trailer policy that lets you put you trailer in storage for three months out of the year. While in storage you get a rebate on a portion your premiums. Basically they drop your collision portion of the policy. They also offer a full replacement policy with a new trailer until your trailer is 5 years old.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #9

Eddie-

Thanks for the info. I intend to join Good Sams and some similar groups when I start traveling next year.

Mike L.