Storing heavy things in the shelves - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2017, 01:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Storing heavy things in the shelves

I requested shelves for my 17b wardrobe thinking of using it as a kind of food pantry where I would store cans and other potentially heavy foods. Now that I've taken possession, I've realized that the shelves are not solid plywood, but seem to instead be a thinner, lighter, and more flexible surface.

Does anyone have any guesses as to how much weight these shelves can hold?
Has anyone ever requested "reinforced" shelving?
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I requested shelves for my 17b wardrobe thinking of using it as a kind of food pantry where I would store cans and other potentially heavy foods. Now that I've taken possession, I've realized that the shelves are not solid plywood, but seem to instead be a thinner, lighter, and more flexible surface.

Does anyone have any guesses as to how much weight these shelves can hold?
Has anyone ever requested "reinforced" shelving?
Those shelves are surprisingly strong. The have a 1x1 framework, including a mid cross member. When the thin luan plywood is glued and fastened to it, it kind of resembles a torsion box, which is a super strong structure with very low weight. It actually will have much less sag to it. That said, I would guess you could distribute up to 100 lbs on one if you really had to.

The best possible place for weight in a trailer, especially heavy stuff, is directly over the axle(s), centered in the trailer, and on the floor. Of course this ideal situation is impossible, but the idea lends to the best way to load a trailer, keeping this in mind. Do keep heavy items as low as possible, the bottom shelf in the wardrobe is fine, but if very heavy try to add weight to the other side too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I try to keep cans and water containers and other heavy items low, possibly on the bottom of the kitchen or under the bed, you do not want to tow a top heavy trailer.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Note that if you stand tall fluid containers (like liter bottles of water) inside the galley cabinets without some form of containment/confinement, their weight tipping over against a cabinet door can be enough to pop the cabinet door open, and then all sorts of stuff can fall out and start rolling/sliding around on the cabin floor while en route. Don't ask me how I know that...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

I do not remember who stated this but they put everything on the floor while under tow because more or less everything ends on the floor before the trip ends......
Old 04-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Those shelves are surprisingly strong. The have a 1x1 framework, including a mid cross member. When the thin luan plywood is glued and fastened to it, it kind of resembles a torsion box, which is a super strong structure with very low weight. It actually will have much less sag to it. That said, I would guess you could distribute up to 100 lbs on one if you really had to.
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about putting more than clothes in there.

A back of the envelope calculation says that 100lb is a realistic maximum per shelf, assuming that materials as dense as water are being stored with some necessary room between the items.

Jim, when you made this 100lb guess, were you thinking in terms of resting static forces, or did you mentally include the possibility of bumping down a potholed dirt road with that 100lb?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #7

Great larger points on the weight distribution and tippiness of items. I'll have to re-think some of my packing strategy, although some heavier things will still probably have to go in less than ideal locations. I’ll have a look at those bars that some people put in to prevent items falling out. I’m not ready to concede yet to putting everything on the floor
Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I’ll have a look at those bars that some people put in to prevent items falling out. I’m not ready to concede yet to putting everything on the floor
You mean, like these?
Attached Thumbnails
barred - 1.jpg  
Old 04-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You mean, like these?
Perhaps this might be better:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...7807-4.html#31
Old 04-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Jim, when you made this 100lb guess, were you thinking in terms of resting static forces, or did you mentally include the possibility of bumping down a potholed dirt road with that 100lb?
I did consider moving, but not major continuous bouncing. Remeber too, this is just a WAG.

My concern too is the support, more than the shelf handling weight. It the just used four 1-hole angles for support, this could easily be built up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #11

These will help keep the rods in place.....https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-...ds=velcro+dots
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

Didn't work for me. I tried small plastic bumpers and I cut an X in the ends of the rods, so that the bumper had a place to nest.
They still came out.
Since then I have added a lip of 1/2" x 1/2" wood, glued to the bottom of the shelf and I bungee the door closed.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did consider moving, but not major continuous bouncing. Remeber too, this is just a WAG.
I appreciate your WAG, since it's most likely better than my less informed WAG.

I'll tread carefully the first few times no matter what, and don't worry, no lawyers will come calling if my cabinet fails at 99lb.

Worst case is probably a trip to the Escape factory to get things patched up. Easy to do from Seattle.

Since nobody has chimed in (yet) with a horror story about their shelves failing, they're probably stronger than they look.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Note that if you stand tall fluid containers (like liter bottles of water) inside the galley cabinets without some form of containment/confinement, their weight tipping over against a cabinet door can be enough to pop the cabinet door open, and then all sorts of stuff can fall out and start rolling/sliding around on the cabin floor while en route. Don't ask me how I know that...
It is particularly exciting when a cabinet door opens, a bottle of olive oil falls out, pops its top, then rolls around on the floor for a couple of miles. Also a "don't ask me how I know", but I also know it takes a full roll of paper towels to fix the problem!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #15

All this talk of things flying out of the cupboards. Has anyone tried locking doors, like these or something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYX5CUG..._t2_B01B95O70S

Seems like something ETI should consider adding in the future. Keeping things from falling out is kind of important. I've seen them in several RVs, although I can't remember which ones exactly. Certainly the Roadtreks.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #16

It's not a problem. The cupboards open upwards, so the weight of the door helps keep the upper cabinets closed. That's where we store clothes, towels etc. We do keep some canned goods and such in our cupboard above the fridge. It works just fine.
The only cupboard I've had come open is the shallow one under the sink. I fill it with stacked canned goods. It needs a bungee cord when I'm traveling washboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Can cupboard.jpg   Can cupboard bungee.jpg   Fridge bungee.jpg