Tables - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Tables

I have too much time on my hands. But, let's talk tables. I see there are two rear dinette options. U-shaped and the standard. I really like the U-shape, I think it's what I want. What I don't care for is the table on poles. I don't have the strength to muscle two poles off the table to put it in bed mode and I don't care for the "bowls" on the floor. To me, the bowls kinda defeat the livingroom effect.

So, in my travels through the all molded forums... I really like Thom's & Cari's solution in their Parkliner, the "Magic Table." It appears to be the solution I seek. My Scamp has the hinge table and it works as designed. Guess I'm going to need to talk to Escape and see if this is doable. And how much fabric I'll need to purchase to make those extra cushions.

What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
TCL-PLinsideRearU.jpg   TCL-PLinsideRearU_table.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As far as I can tell's Parkliner's "magic" table is the same traditional wall-hinge-plus-leg table that has been found in RVs (including my Boler and perhaps Donna's current Scamp) for decades... with an extra hinge across the middle to get it out of the way for that U-shaped configuration in the first photo. I can't speak for Reace, but I can't think of any reason this couldn't be built... although whether it would be worthwhile is another matter.

Another concern is that - given Parkliner's performance on several other aspects of their trailer - this specific design is by someone with little experience with RVs and surprisingly little common sense or willingness to consult with more knowledgeable people... is the extra hinge feature really a sound and proven design?

I understand the concern with managing posts. Are the current Escape sockets ("bowls") recessed into the floor, or recessed?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree Brian and since Chandler has applied for a patent, this may need to be an owner mod... hummm

Multi-Position Table - Patent application
Old 11-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I understand the concern with managing posts. Are the current Escape sockets ("bowls") recessed into the floor, or recessed?
They're not recessed. Here's a link to a Lisa & Family thread, u-shaped dinette too: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...otos-2254.html
Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I agree Brian and since Chandler has applied for a patent, this may need to be an owner mod... hummm

Multi-Position Table - Patent application
Thanks for the link.

In my personal opinion, the patent application is without merit for more than one reason, the most simple of which is that (as is Chandler's style) he has failed to acknowledge the extremely obvious derivation from existing designs (or "prior art", in patent terms). A patent should not be granted, but given recent US Patent Office practice, it probably will be after some revisions to list prior art - they just leave it to the courts to settle disputes instead of doing their whole job. If I built any of the many available tables like this (albeit without the hinge across the middle), I would be insulted by Chandler Palethorpe's implication that he has invented something (the basic hinge system) that was being built before he was born.

Personally, if I liked the design I would just use it, based on parts which are commercially available, but Escape might wisely choose to avoid the potential conflict with Parkliner. To do this with a new Escape, it might make sense to get the entire table omitted at the factory, so the unwanted pedestal leg sockets are not installed in the floor.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Brian, I read the entire patent application. Everything someone needs to know is in image 10. I'm not an engineer, but even I can improve on the design and not make it so complicated. Already thinking ahead. I have an EZ-up which I HATE. I'll take one of the legs, which telescopes and create the table leg. U-shape channel to attach to a "box" that slides on drawer slides and a wing nut to tighten the leg so it doesn't get kicked back. The trick will be to figure out the best way to lift the table and extend the leg without feeling like an octopus. But, I have months to figure it out!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
They're not recessed. Here's a link to a Lisa & Family thread, u-shaped dinette too: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...otos-2254.html
Too bad - if recessed, they could be covered by a flat cap and would be less intrusive. There's even a recessed plastic version which just has a circular groove (instead of a big hole) so it wouldn't need a cap.

Recessing the sockets would be a desirable modification (requiring a mould modification to be done right); however, my guess (I've only stuck my head under the 17', and even that has been a while) is that on most models there is a freshwater or greywater tank right against the bottom of the floor at that point, which would require a custom tank... which is not likely. The recessed sockets themselves are readily available, and used in RVs where there isn't this sort of issue with the floor.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

Trailer: none
Quote:
I have too much time on my hands. But, let's talk tables. I see there are two rear dinette options. U-shaped and the standard. I really like the U-shape, I think it's what I want. What I don't care for is the table on poles. I don't have the strength to muscle two poles off the table to put it in bed mode and I don't care for the "bowls" on the floor. To me, the bowls kinda defeat the livingroom effect.

So, in my travels through the all molded forums... I really like Thom's & Cari's solution in their Parkliner, the "Magic Table." It appears to be the solution I seek. My Scamp has the hinge table and it works as designed. Guess I'm going to need to talk to Escape and see if this is doable. And how much fabric I'll need to purchase to make those extra cushions.

What do you all think?
I hate those poles also. The Magic Table looks cool...I wonder though...that seating area looks a lot deeper than the one in the 5.0..might have issues with the dimensions for the folding....
but, I was really attracted by the solutions employed by techfan in post #9 here:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...mods-2274.html

The issue is where to put the table when you don't want it set up...maybe up on the bed?
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
I hate those poles also. The Magic Table looks cool...I wonder though...that seating area looks a lot deeper than the one in the 5.0..might have issues with the dimensions for the folding....
but, I was really attracted by the solutions employed by techfan in post #9 here:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...mods-2274.html

The issue is where to put the table when you don't want it set up...maybe up on the bed?
You're right, the Parkliner is quite a bit deeper, queen size bed (60x80), the new 5er is build on the 21' platform so the rear dinette should be 48x86. Then a half-table might be 24"

I don't want to need to remove or store a table elsewhere. I'm a single traveler, but would like to make accommodations for a granddaughter who (I hope) will go camping with me occasionally. Most often, I'm thinking the u-shaped dinette would be grand without a table. However, I think having even a 24" table might be nice at times.

Still thinking this through... need to finish engineering school...
Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Site Team

A minor issue is the support when in bed mode. Since the table would be twice as thick when folded in half, the supports would need to be changed for the u-shape.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DinetteSupports.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	3913

Back to homework :
Old 11-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Site Team

Okay, last thoughts on this for today. My head is starting to hurt.

With this setup, there are choices to decide. Half-size table, full-size bed or a smaller than half-size table and a filler piece to make a full-size bed and then the table can be used when hinged out. No way it can be a half-size table AND a full size table because no one could get "in" unless they want to crawl under like a kid. That's why tables often have angles cut at the front... but then there's that filler piece when putting down to a bed. Groan...
Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We are not bothered by the pedestals at our table. They are out of the way for getting in and out, and there is plenty of room to stick your feet out. Even the tables that fasten to the wall on one end, still have to have a leg down at the end.

The pedestals also allow for easy incorporation of the table slides, something we really like ourselves.

The table linked to above with the banquet table legs would be more of a pain to sit around when in use with all the bracing. It would be nice if you did not want a table at all, as no hardware would be left when you moved it out. But, then you would have to store it somewhere.

I could see if you wanted the table right out of their for lounging, that the bases would be a bit in the way. This is not really an issue for us, as we always prefer to lounge outside, or late at night on the bed.

I really like the look of the U-shaped dinette, but again for us, I just don't see it working. We really like the extra table space the standard setup gives us, as we use it as a marshalling and temporary storage area. I would like to actually see one in person though, to make a final judgement on them.

Just some rambling musings. Everyone has their own style for using the dinette area and tables, and even this can keep evolving with time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Okay, last thoughts on this for today. My head is starting to hurt
LOL.... Yes Donna, I think you need to step back from this thread for the day, maybe kick back and let these thoughts flow out of your head, and maybe have yourself and enjoyable cocktail (if you do partake).

Tomorrow the thoughts will all meld into something more cognizant for you. I say this, as I suffer the same affliction all the time when I get thinking to hard on something.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Donna,
I'm going to look into one of those pneumatic table supports from Walmart. The bottom leg supports are easily removed, I just need to figure out if the table will work with the pneumatic support.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #15

Trailer: None
I'm with you, Donna. I like the u-shaped dinette as a lounge area but not those floor sockets. I can see those becoming toe-stubbers when the table is not is use. I think I would ask for the table top to be included so I could still use it to make the second bed out of the lounge when I have company but I would store it either under the mattress of the permanent bed or in the TV when not in use. Being a solo traveler, I can eat off of a tray in my "lounge" when I am not eating outside. Then I would use a folding or one of those roll-up tables for when I have company or want to do crafts.

I was in a Parkliner (Brian_M's) at the Copake FGRV rally and I loved the u-shaped lounge area.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I find the weight of the table and managing it to be a bigger problem than taking out the pedestals. A couple of tiny footstools to cover the bowls might be a lot easier for the living room effect.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Donna,
I'm going to look into one of those pneumatic table supports from Walmart. The bottom leg supports are easily removed, I just need to figure out if the table will work with the pneumatic support.
I've looked at those too Jim, but the table is either up or down. My problem is I want it ALL!!

Rosemary, your comment... toe-stubbers I was thinking of ankle buster if I jumped up in a hurry and twisted an ankle on one.

I'm still noodling this. I think the decision will be how wide the back seat cushion is for the factory built u-shape dinette. I'll need the cushions made and they'll be cheaper done by Escape... but at their standard size. I guess a filler piece might not be so bad, if I can get it to fit in the closet....
Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I find the weight of the table and managing it to be a bigger problem than taking out the pedestals. A couple of tiny footstools to cover the bowls might be a lot easier for the living room effect.
Well, that's an idea too. Hadn't thought about a foot stool. Thanks for offering the suggestion.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Donna,
Jim, if you like gadgets you might like this model, won't find it at WM though.
Electric 3-Stage Pedestal 1660230-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The table linked to above with the banquet table legs would be more of a pain to sit around when in use with all the bracing. It would be nice if you did not want a table at all, as no hardware would be left when you moved it out. But, then you would have to store it somewhere.
Jim B, I've asked about storing this style table at an RV show, their line was you could use them as an outside table when you didn't want them inside.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Donna,
How about this idea, I may try this out Sequoia Table Leg System - Overton's
Padlin,
too complicated, but thanks for thinking of me.
Attached Images