Television and radio questions - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I like the idea of being able to easily remove the arm when the TV is not in use, to keep a cleaner look going.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape 19
We bought a 19", it has a DVDs player built into it. We took it with us to our orientation, they mounted it on the fridge wall. We watch a did while relaxing in bed at night... It can easily been seen from the table up front too..it's a nice feature to have!
Bluegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is a mount I am considering. Not sure what I am doing yet, but one thought is to have TV ready in two places, one near the bed, and one at the dinette. As this comes with two mounts, the TV could be easily moved. This mount is available in lots of places.

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-America.../dp/B00149RVK8
Regarding having two locations for the TV, what are others opinions. Have some done this and do they find they use both. Have those with just one find that is adequate, or do they now wish they had an alternate location.

Part of this comes from the fact we really never used a TV before, just a laptop which got rare use as a movie player. It is way too small to consider as a permanent option. Even this we have seldom done.

Another thing I am unsure of, is exactly how and where we would mostly watch. I am thinking sitting lounging at the dinette for the most part, but possibly in bed too. Where do folks usually watch TV, in all trailers but especially the 5.0 TA?

I know into the future when travelling on long trips with just the two of us, there is a good liklihood of watching more movies, and even a bit of TV.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #64

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I like the concept, but to be honest, I'm not that concerned about traveling with the TV mounted. We just bungee cord the arm to hold it in place, and we add a short bungee from the top rear of the TV frame to the overhead cabinet. It's secure but can still absorb shaking. Another thing is that these small LCD TVs are very light -- and our Samsung is even lighter than the ones designed for RV/12 Volt. So, there's very little stress on the mount when traveling. And, since the wall where it's mounted is reinforced in our trailer, stress on the mount is even less of a concern.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
very good to know...while not having a trailer now, still trying to imagine what some seem to describe as a earthquake in the trailer while traveling and of course the roads traveled have something to do with that.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Regarding having two locations for the TV, what are others opinions. Have some done this and do they find they use both. Have those with just one find that is adequate, or do they now wish they had an alternate location.

Part of this comes from the fact we really never used a TV before, just a laptop which got rare use as a movie player. It is way too small to consider as a permanent option. Even this we have seldom done.

Another thing I am unsure of, is exactly how and where we would mostly watch. I am thinking sitting lounging at the dinette for the most part, but possibly in bed too. Where do folks usually watch TV, in all trailers but especially the 5.0 TA?

I know into the future when travelling on long trips with just the two of us, there is a good liklihood of watching more movies, and even a bit of TV.
We have one tv mounting location in the 19', on the bulkhead between the rear bed and the fridge. We have never used the tv as a tv, but have watched many movies on nights where we would rather lounge around inside rather than visit or sit by a fire. When camping with our kids (who are mostly grown), we have often watched movies in relative comfort with up to 5 of us sitting/lying cross ways (not lengthwise) on the queen bed.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
... still trying to imagine what some seem to describe as a earthquake in the trailer while traveling and of course the roads traveled have something to do with that.
The roads are a factor, but trailers generally have stiff and crude suspensions lacking in effective damping, compared to cars. Escapes (other than the 5.0TA) have Dexter Torflex axles, which have a rubber-sprung and rubber-damped independent trailing arm design... but it's still pretty basic compared to the cheapest car you can buy. Roads that seem smooth to you in the tug are still a rough ride for the trailer contents.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have an Insignia TV from Best Buy that has a 12V input. It has "feet", so I sit it on the dinette table when camping, and put it on the bed when traveling. Works okay so far.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have an Insignia TV from Best Buy that has a 12V input. It has "feet", so I sit it on the dinette table when camping, and put it on the bed when traveling. Works okay so far.
I looked at them today, as was thinking of picking up a 24" one, but was not real impressed with the picture compared to other ones that were 120V only. Maybe it was just that set.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I forgot our 22 is the Insigna too . We keep the foot on it , that's how it sits on counter .When we travel it just gets laid on the bed , put couple pillows in front and I guess because of foot it has never moved off bed in travel . It is only 120 and the picture is pretty good . At home am picky with TV which have always been Sony's , but for trailer if picture is good and good price we are good with that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had an Insignia 13 ( I think ). Picture could only be viewed by one person, straight on.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I looked at them today, as was thinking of picking up a 24" one, but was not real impressed with the picture compared to other ones that were 120V only. Maybe it was just that set.
Nah, the one you saw was probably typical. I'm not a TV aficionado so I'm easy to please. Mine is supposedly a 1024p DTV, but I've found that the screen resolution still isn't good enough to use the TV as a computer monitor, which I had hoped for. In particular, text doesn't display well. Just fyi.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #72

Quote:
Nah, the one you saw was probably typical. I'm not a TV aficionado so I'm easy to please. Mine is supposedly a 1024p DTV, but I've found that the screen resolution still isn't good enough to use the TV as a computer monitor, which I had hoped for. In particular, text doesn't display well. Just fyi.
That would be the same one I looked at. They are clearing them out at $149 CAD. Probably on its own I would have never noticed, but it was between a Sony and another new model Insignia, both at 720p, and each of those were brighter with better definition, but the Insignia was 120V, and the Sony 19V DC
Old 11-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #73

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
I am also considering the Skyworth 22" and was wondering if it took up too much room. Can you send a photo of yours with it folded back and swung out? Do you feel your mount is much better than ETIs?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote