Television and radio questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
I have an "extension" question - I'm gonna buy an Escape 19. All of the pix I've seen shows the arm mounted on the wall by the bed. Can I have it mounted on the dinette wall?
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Satellite doesn't fade in the mountains, but it will often drop entirely for brief moments.
The joy of satellite broadcasts: they are at frequencies so high that they are strictly line-of-sight, so when mountains block your direct view of the satellite, there's no reception until you move far enough (or the relative position of the satellite moves far enough, in the case of Sirius satellites and their Tundra orbits) to "see" it again.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sirius XM have several satellites between them. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Sirius XM have several satellites between them. Not sure if that makes a difference.
It does make a big difference.

There are three Sirius satellites, only one or two of which will be in view at a time (the others being the wrong side of the equator). Without mountains (or trees, or buildings) there would always be at least one in view. When your Sirius signal stops, even if you are stationary you can wait and it should come back.

There are three or four XM satellites in geostationary locations (like a satellite used for TV) so your view to them is in different directions (although always generally south), so you could lose sight of one then gain sight of another while the first one is still out of sight. Again without mountains (or trees, or buildings) all would always be in view, and I think you would be in the signal "footprint" of all of them. If your location doesn't get good XM signal, it won't get any better but moving might get your service back.

Not all SiriusXM receivers can use both Sirius and XM satellite signals.

Overall, the intention is to get you a signal without you having to worry about where it's coming from, but it is not a perfect system.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #25

Not necessarily south.
This is for U.S., but there is another map for Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 7.38.17 PM.png   Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 7.38.32 PM.png  
Old 02-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Extension Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
I have an "extension" question - I'm gonna buy an Escape 19. All of the pix I've seen shows the arm mounted on the wall by the bed. Can I have it mounted on the dinette wall?
Richard, yes you can have an extra TV "ready" location setup on the dinette wall. From memory I believe it was $100 extra to have ETI install an antenna outlet, and 6V plug in the dinette behind the frig. I chose not to have ETI install a TV arm at all in our two TV ready locations (passenger side bed, and driver side dinette) as I had installed an arm in our previous RV and wanted to make the final decision where to install one arm when we got home and do it myself. I believe it was Crystal at ETI who told me it is quite common to have the factory install this second TV ready setup and certainly much easier to do during the build process. Suggest checking with ETI if they will install just one TV ready in the dinette area.
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Television and radio questions

Most of the lakes we camp at in B. C. have had one or two FM stations within range, whereas few had AM reception. Our stick trailer had a 3 ft antenna that brought in the FM stations. I plan on having one installed on our roof.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #28

Where I camp, I get nothing but Sirius XM. No FM and no AM, certainly no TV.
Kane Lakes, Skagit, Chattaway . . .
When I was a kid, living in Whitewood, Saskatchewan, I listened to WLS Chicago when the signal bounced just the right way, but that was an AM station.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Not necessarily south.
This is for U.S., but there is another map for Canada.
That map (from the Sirius home installation guide) is for the Tundra orbit Sirius satellites. They don't stay in the same relative position in the sky, but effectively loop around a point over the middle of the continent, so the map shows the general direction to aim for best average reception, if you have a directional antenna (so, not in a moving vehicle). It does not apply to the XM satellites...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are three or four XM satellites in geostationary locations (like a satellite used for TV) so your view to them is in different directions (although always generally south)...
Only the XM satellites are in geostationary orbits (parked over the equator) so only those ones are generally south (that is, never straight east or straight west or anything north at all) for everyone in the northern hemisphere.

It matters which set of satellites you're listening to, even though they are all owned and operated by the same company now (since the two competing companies merged), because - as far as I can tell - they still haven't really merged the systems. The Sirius set seem inherently better for reception in Canada. Strangely, the SiriusXM Canada version of the home installation guide only provides direction information for the Sirius (tundra orbit) satellites, but it doesn't look like they are selling just Sirius because one of the recievers shown on the SiriusXM Canada website is clearly branded "XM".

I don't know if the situation has changed since this 2012 article: Sirius XM: Two Companies With Single Mission To Confuse Customers. They still sell separate Sirius plans and XM plans, with the same prices and perhaps the same content, but presumably working on different receivers. This is why their second receiver promotion offers two different models of equipment; get the wrong one, and it won't work with your subscription. They do offer one receiver which works with both systems (the MiRGE), but it needs a special subscription to get both, and you push a button tell it which system to use.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #30

All I know is I was having problems with reception because I assumed I had to point the antenna southeast. Then I read the manual, with maps and instructions.
And pointed it northeast. Worked much better.
Mine is Sirius and years old. Fits in a dock in the car and another dock in the trailer, or you can walk around wearing headphones with a built in antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Sirius Stiletto.jpg   Sirius dock.jpg  
Old 02-14-2016, 04:53 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Richard,
As another poster said, we got two TV set-ups installed, but with our own longer swing-arm we can see the TV from the original site, which is where it stays. As it turns out we use the dinette 120v plug-in a bunch for charging all our devices, so that was a lucky decision.

If you want to drive up the road, you're welcome to see ours. Of course it won't be identical, since it's a 21.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My 19" Escape had it mounted on the front dinette wall, street side, in the over head.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For those wanting better FM reception, try an amplified antenna. I don't remember the brand I installed in my trailer, but it was off the shelf at an auto parts store. You do have to supply 12V power to it (my radio has an antenna power out) but it improved reception so that the trailer is now better than the RAV4, which has the best radio reception I've ever had in a vehicle.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
thanks buddy
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #35

Quote:
All I know is I was having problems with reception because I assumed I had to point the antenna southeast. Then I read the manual, with maps and instructions.
Always a good plan!

Quote:
And pointed it northeast. Worked much better.
Mine is Sirius ...
Yes, that makes sense for Sirius. Probably a much better choice in Canada than XM... but some vehicles (apparently including GM and Toyota) come with XM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 B17
So bluetooth radio means you can have wireless speakers?
Bobccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is correct, so you can play your IPhone or I installed a bluetooth am/fm/weather radio in BlackJack and take my speaker outside.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Sure you can, but we find it better mounting it on the wall by the fridge. We sometimes watch TV in bed at night, but rarely during the day. Mounting it near the bed made more sense. I mounted ours so it would swivel into the aisle in case we want to watch it while eating at the dinette. It rarely moves.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTHKR View Post
I installed a 110V Samsung 24 (23.6") TV.
Cliff
Cliff,
Does your Samsung 24" TV have a built-in DVD player? If so, which model?

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Television and radio questions

For us in our 5.0TA it's also mounted by the bed and as other have done we swing it around if we need to watch from the dinette. We purchased the Samsung 22" with out the DVD player as it was lighter and we just pop a DVD into the stereo and watch the movie, stereo sound is a lot better then the TV.
By the way you can use the audio out of TV and connect to the audio in on the stereo and listen to the TV channels with the stereo.
Cheers
Doug