Television and radio questions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog2673 View Post
Cliff,
Does your Samsung 24" TV have a built-in DVD player? If so, which model?
Hi Fred,

No DVD player in our Samsung 24". We normally don't watch DVDs at home or on the road.

Regards, Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wife bought DVDs on reading to baby for a couple of my daughter's friends as gifts. They don't have DVD players. Don't do DVD or CD. Stream everything or download.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wife bought DVDs on reading to baby for a couple of my daughter's friends as gifts. They don't have DVD players. Don't do DVD or CD. Stream everything or download.
That is great, but as full-timers, we often find ourselves boondocking without access to cell service. What with our new solar panels on the new 21', it would be nice to catch up on some old movies we get our hands on, every now and then.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #44

I don't, but I think people download movies to their laptops or to external drives. I have a 7" screen portable DVD player that I can connect to a TV. If it craps out, I still have a TV.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #45
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
That is great, but as full-timers, we often find ourselves boondocking without access to cell service. What with our new solar panels on the new 21', it would be nice to catch up on some old movies we get our hands on, every now and then.
This one has great viewing angles, a DVD player, and runs on 12 or 120 volts. We have it in a 21 over the night stand.

22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I wouldn't go out of my way to get a DVD player; if I'm buying hardware to play movies, it's a Blu-ray player (which will also play DVDs and CDs).

Quote:
That's common for people who have always had massive internet bandwidth. They probably don't a traditional phone "landline", either.

Quote:
That is great, but as full-timers, we often find ourselves boondocking without access to cell service.
And even if you have mobile network (cell) service, there often isn't enough network speed for video, and many of us (including essentially everyone who lives in Canada) do not have unlimited data plans. If you go over your data limit with my provider (which is typical), additional data is CA$50/GB... is a movie worth $100 to $200? Even at normal plan rates, maintaining a 20 GB/month package costs me CA$65/month more than the 10 GB/month package... that's not cheap to watch a couple of movies on rainy days.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:33 PM   #47

I pay 2 cents a meg for overage on my cell data, but, I don't watch movies. They keep trying to get me into a new plan, but I'm grandfathered and I'm not moving.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Only advantage to Blu Ray players is the higher resolution, which is not important on a 22 inch screen unless your vision is 20/20. We rent standard (720p) resolution DVDs at Redbox stores and drop them off the next day at any McDonalds (among others) when on the move.

So if you rent Blu-Ray religiously, you're probably 40 years old or less.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #49

Quote:
I pay 2 cents a meg for overage on my cell data...
Nice
That's CA$20/GB, so still $40 to $80 for a movie. Still not for me
Old 09-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Only advantage to Blu Ray players is the higher resolution, which is not important on a 22 inch screen unless your vision is 20/20.
Agreed (in general), but if you are taking movies that you own, and they are Blu-ray, a DVD player simply won't play them. Eventually you won't be able to rent new movies in DVD, as they will only be available in Blu-ray.

Quote:
We rent standard (720p) resolution DVDs at Redbox stores and drop them off the next day at any McDonalds (among others) when on the move.
That makes sense, but don't plan on it here - Redbox pulled out of Canada last year, and I haven't seen any other multi-location movie rental system. Even when they were here, their machines were not at McDonald's although there were still a decent number at Walmart and Safeway stores.

Also, DVDs don't do 720p resolution - that's high definition. They do 480i Standard Definition, stretched to widescreen proportions. The whole image would fit with every pixel shown in about a 9"x12" patch of that 22" TV's screen. But yes, that's usually good enough.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
DVDs don't do 720p resolution - that's high definition. They do 480i Standard Definition, stretched to widescreen proportions.
You're right, regular DVD players don't do 720p, but my Oppo Blu-ray player "makes" them 720p with a special processor. If you've never seen a DVD movie played on an Oppo, the difference is dramatic. Of course, it's processed from a 480i source, but man, my DVDs look almost as good as my Blu-rays do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #52

Movie: stuff blows up.
Sequel: stuff blows up again.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #53
Commercial Member

Quote:
Movie: stuff blows up.
Sequel: stuff blows up again.
That's good!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
This one has great viewing angles, a DVD player, and runs on 12 or 120 volts. We have it in a 21 over the night stand.

22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker
Yes, this is actually one that is on my short list. I saw one of your other posts.

Thanks!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This is a mount I am considering. Not sure what I am doing yet, but one thought is to have TV ready in two places, one near the bed, and one at the dinette. As this comes with two mounts, the TV could be easily moved. This mount is available in lots of places.

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-America.../dp/B00149RVK8
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #56

Trailer: pondering.....
curious how wide the wall is in the Escape 19 against the fridge and below the overhead cabinet...also assume it is roughly the same dimension on the bath wall at end of drivers side dinette.
thanks for the dimension if you have one.
saw an interesting tv mount idea in a trailer and was thinking it might fit...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
curious how wide the wall is in the Escape 19 against the fridge and below the overhead cabinet...also assume it is roughly the same dimension on the bath wall at end of drivers side dinette.
thanks for the dimension if you have one.
saw an interesting tv mount idea in a trailer and was thinking it might fit...
The one Jim posted looks like what Escape uses but cheaper in price and 2 mounts . We have a 22 in tv in our 19 . It is mounted on refrigerator wall . The arm will swing out to see at the dinette if mounted on refrigerator wall at corner . You can see it both sides of trailer .if we are watching a movie we remove it and attach a longer cord and place it on sink counter . The sound for TV 's are hard to hear , and it puts the TV closer . We also for a movie have a wireless Sony sound system . Also use it for I-pod for music . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #58

Trailer: pondering.....
a random thought....saw a trailer with a tv mounted on the folding arm inside what one might describe as a thin cabinet without a door ...so when traveling it is safely hugged with non-rigid foam on all sides and the arm is prevented from opening with a latch..open the latch and the arm extends...no need to remove tv for traveling. Seemed like a good idea if vibration absorption and a secure tv arm latch is provided...granted if the tv is mounted to arm with screws and the arm mount is screwed to plywood wall as in an Escape trailer there still would be some vibration to the tv during travel but perhaps mitigated somewhat by the foam inside the cabinet frame. The cabinet foam frame would also help keep vertical forces of the tv/arm on the wall mount screws to a minimum while traveling when tv is not extended.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:50 AM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I like the concept, but to be honest, I'm not that concerned about traveling with the TV mounted. We just bungee cord the arm to hold it in place, and we add a short bungee from the top rear of the TV frame to the overhead cabinet. It's secure but can still absorb shaking. Another thing is that these small LCD TVs are very light -- and our Samsung is even lighter than the ones designed for RV/12 Volt. So, there's very little stress on the mount when traveling. And, since the wall where it's mounted is reinforced in our trailer, stress on the mount is even less of a concern.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 12:52 AM   #60

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I have an older laptop that still has a CD/DVD player. If o feel the need to watch a movie and have enough solar power, I'll just watch them on that. The joys of being a solo traveler and not needing a larger screen. ��
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote