Tell me, just where is your head at? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which side of the trailer is your head when sleeping?
Away from the door on the drivers side 12 57.14%
Towards the door on the passenger side 9 42.86%
I flip flop, have not set preference 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Tell me, just where is your head at?

This is a completely nonsensical, trivial thread, designed for amusement only. The results have no real bearing on anything that affects the use of our trailers. No animals will be harmed in this test either.

I have always slept with my head away from the door, better able to see the door, no matter where I sleep. Weird, eh? Another reason in the Escape 19 was to be able to better block light from the dinette so when I get up early and read, the light does not shine on my wifes face. Okay, that last bit might be partially just trying to justify my weirdness.

To quote Sheldon on Big Bang Theory regarding sleeping direction, "It’s culturally universal, a bed, even a temporary bed, is always oriented with the headboard away from the door. It serves the ancient imperative of protecting oneself against marauders"

Conversely, there is also a superstition that if you sleep with your feet facing the door it means you'll either bring death or bad luck. This superstition could be derived from the fact that coffins are carried out of a house feet first, so to lie down with your feet towards the door sort of reflects that practice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Jim, I had not really given this much thought, but this makes sense! -
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Depends who I'm sleeping with. Actually, I'm always on the left ( facing the headboard ) and Les is on the right. Since I have to get up in the night, that puts me on the outside, and dictates that our heads are to the passenger side ( where the door is ).
It's more to do with 42 years of habit than anything else, I think.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Nothing weird Jim about wanting to let your wife sleep in when we know you need little sleep and she needs more. It's only being considerate. That said, since it's years since we camped in our Gypsy I think we flip-flopped. I think when entering and exit is only one one side meaning possibly climbing over your partner, it would only make sense for the early riser (or late to bed) to sleep on the entry side.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Since we got the bed extension in our 17B we sleep with our heads at the rear of the trailer and our feet in the aisle. I LOVE waking up and opening the blinds and being able to look up at the trees!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Self-indulgent laziness mandates that I sleep in our 19 with my head on the driver's side. That way, when we wake on a chilly morning, I can turn on the furnace and water heater by only moving one arm out from under the covers.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I sleep with my head on the door side. That's so I can hear noises (better) that may be happening outside the trailer. Less likely anyone would be creeping around the sewer hose area. Better chance items stored under the awning would grow legs and walk off...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
When we use the extension we sleep with our heads to the rear of the trailer, but lately we haven't been using it and sleep the same way as in the Boler--heads toward the door side--nice that I can reach up and turn the furnace on. Also now have the same counter extension nearby the thermostat so nice to put books and glasses on.. I go to bed later than Doug and so I sleep on the outside--he crawls over me when he gets up earlier than me...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have always slept with my head away from the door, better able to see the door, no matter where I sleep. Weird, eh? Another reason in the Escape 19 was to be able to better block light from the dinette so when I get up early and read, the light does not shine on my wifes face. Okay, that last bit might be partially just trying to justify my weirdness. .
Jim, you are consitent with your sleeping habits, as confirmed by your response in this previous thread. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...head-1802.html

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Come now, let’s be realistic. A preferred sleeping position I think we all know, is consciously and logically oriented toward the quickest access to either one of two things; for women, the bathroom, for men, the beer---with bathroom being runner-up.

Who gets their choice is another matter.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: I'm feeling really left out here!!! Those of us smart enough to own a 5.0 don't have to struggle with this question. We sleep with our head on the pillows!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
5.0 owners are forced into conformity. You are oppressed by your Escape overlords, unable to express your own sleeping preferences. You must rise up from your north-south beds! Oh, wait... if you did that you'd whack your head.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Need to see the door !
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Jim, you are consitent with your sleeping habits, as confirmed by your response in this previous thread. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...head-1802.html
Age is getting to me, I forgot about that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: I'm feeling really left out here!!! Those of us smart enough to own a 5.0 don't have to struggle with this question. We sleep with our head on the pillows!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, I sure have put an option in there for the 5.0 owners, as I guess you could choose to sleep with your head towards the door too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #15

When we get our 19 in September we will be sleeping with our heads on the passenger side. The reason being is that my wife must sleep on the right side if you are facing the headboard of a bed. After 29 years with this arrangement it is non-negotiable. And I want to sleep on the outside because I am an early riser. Otherwise we would probably prefer sleeping facing the door. Once you close your eyes does it really matter?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find swinging my feet around to exit is easier if it is by the curbside kitchen wall cutout vs the street side refer wall.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
Once you close your eyes does it really matter?
If you are fine with the nightmares that ensue, worrying because you can't see the person who is breaking in by picking the lock on the door, then no.

In our bed at home, my wife is on the right, but in the trailer, or just about anywhere else we sleep, we switch it up. Whoever is in bed first goes to the outside. Even though I am always the first up, there is usually some clamouring over each other during a nightly trip. We are still quite young (55), so this dance is not a problem for either of us yet, and in fact sometimes...........
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #18

Quote:
If you are fine with the nightmares that ensue, worrying because you can't see the person who is breaking in by picking the lock on the door, then no.
Our golden retriever will lick them to death!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
Our golden retriever will lick them to death!
No doubt about that. 2 dogs ago I had a GR, and we were broken into twice. Never a sound out of her, she probably just thought they were there to play.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
If you are fine with the nightmares that ensue, worrying because you can't see the person who is breaking in by picking the lock on the door, then no. ...
Anyone contemplating breaking into our trailer while we are sleeping in it would think twice once they saw the trailer walls rhythmically bulging in and out and heard the accompanying loud snores of its occupant. They would think they had been incorporated into some kind of Stephen King horror movie. My wife is a real loud snorer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote