Tempted - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Tempted

I was asking around, while at the Grand Tetons NP, about working there in the summer of 2021 at the Flagg Ranch. I would be making very little money considering the cost of getting there and back. And the nearest large grocery store is in Jackson. I guess what is slightly reinforcing my idea of doing that is the temperature today in Austin is 97. They have trailer sites for employees that cost $6 a day. Negative thoughts are not seeing my family for several months and being bored after a while. Oh, but the scenery is stunning.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
I was asking around, while at the Grand Tetons NP, about working there in the summer of 2021 at the Flagg Ranch. I would be making very little money considering the cost of getting there and back. And the nearest large grocery store is in Jackson. I guess what is slightly reinforcing my idea of doing that is the temperature today in Austin is 97. They have trailer sites for employees that cost $6 a day. Negative thoughts are not seeing my family for several months and being bored after a while. Oh, but the scenery is stunning.
As a new employee, what would your summer job be?

Driving the honey wagon?
Digging ditches?
Cleaning the trailhead pit toilets?

Were it me, I would want a firm job description before leaving home.

Pretty scenery only goes so far. At least with me.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There’s an old saying about working in beautiful locations and it is
“You can’t eat the scenery”. That said, research regarding the many beautiful areas in the west may turn up a more fruitful wage opportunity, better living arrangements, and future opportunities. 50 years ago I worked a summer in Idaho. Full time Forest Service jobs were hard to get, didn’t pay especially well but opened my eyes to other opportunities. My brother in the other hand worked that summer for the Forest Service, pursued his education and became a career employee retiring after 35 years with the USFS. Keep learning, don’t get over focused on a single opportunity and keep dreaming. That’s how you figure things out.
Good Luck
Iowa Dave
Old 06-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
The position I was looking at was RV check in, filling propane tanks and cleaning the restrooms at the Flagg Ranch.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
After comparing the weather in Austin texas and at Flagg Ranch in Wyoming I know which location I would choose and it ain’t Austin . Money isn’t everything
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Assuming that you would get a reasonable amount of time off to enjoy everything that wonderful area offers, and that you aren't looking at this as a job purely for economic reasons, it could be a great opportunity to spend the summer in a wonderful spot at very low cost. We spent a couple of summers as volunteer campground hosts at Glacier NP, the park service provided a stipend of $50/month but it was a wonderful summer, we met lots of terrific people and got to spend all summer in the heart of the park and do a lot of hiking and sightseeing on our days off. And as an added bonus we got away from the Austin heat...
Old 06-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #7

Trailer: TBD
I'd do it an have done it. Five seasons as a seasonal US Park Ranger. The pay sucked, maintenance guys got $7 more an hour than the Rangers on this last gig. This last time was a little tough because I was expected to keep up with rangers 40 years my junior. I did but it about killed me and didn't faze them much. I survived with rehire rights intact and I would consider it again.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
DO IT!!! Now be careful and know what you want because you might wind up moving. I did.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We're currently in the Tetons and tonight's low is to be 15-25, with tomorrow's high in the 40's. We're from Minnesota though and that will be just dandy. We'll be riding out trikes at Jenny Lake on Monday hoping for the 50's. 😀

Enjoy,

Pery
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #10

Trailer: ?
Under the going-in-with-both-eyes-opened category.

Be sure to ask your employer if they will be reporting the value of the site as income and providing you a W-2 or 1099.

Local retail value of the site minus your employee $6/day rate. (Under market rent rate)

Hopefully not, but asking up front will prevent a surprise come tax time.

You will enjoy Montana. A beautiful state.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #11

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Under the going-in-with-both-eyes-opened category.

Be sure to ask your employer if they will be reporting the value of the site as income and providing you a W-2 or 1099.

Local retail value of the site minus your employee $6/day rate. (Under market rent rate)

Hopefully not, but asking up front will prevent a surprise come tax time.

You will enjoy Montana. A beautiful state.
We visited Grand Teton NP in July of 2017. Very beautiful but expensive. The word on the street was that the poor millionaire condo owners were being pushed out by all the billionaires.

I wonder what fair market rent for a long term campsite would be.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Lodging as a condition of employment is not income, parsonages and rental supers who must live on the premises are not taxed on the FRV. Similarly for cg hosts receiving free camp sites.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I worked at Flagg Ranch the winter of 1998-99 and the following summer. I was 21 at the time, and it was a great experience. There were several older couples there that were doing the RV thing and seemed to enjoy it as well. It is a great location to be based out of, between GTNP and YNP. I want to do something similar in my own semi-retirement and Flagg would be high on my list.
Mpresco2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
They tend to want folks who'll make a commitment to stay all summer. If there's any sort of penalty for leaving early (let's say you have a family emergency back home or simply get sick and tired of the routine), you'll want to know that ahead of time. But if you really feel good about it, go for it. It could be a great experience. (Even if it winds up being a so-so experience, you'll build memories to cherish later; we tend to forget the pain and recall the good parts.)
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
Camped at Ft Flagler last summer

We camped there this past summer. The campground is in a patch of land between Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. So, if you are planning to hike and visit the parks, be aware that you are going to be doing a lot of driving. Katrina
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote