The 17 or The 19 ... That is the question ... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Trailer: none
The 17 or The 19 ... That is the question ...

Is there any significant difference between the Escape 17 & 19 ? ... Just the two of us with our two miniture Schnauzers ...
Dakota46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota46 View Post
Is there any significant difference between the Escape 17 & 19 ? ... Just the two of us with our two miniture Schnauzers ...
Hi: Dakota46... The 19'er is longer and wider with a full queen bed and a different interior lay out. Even though your Schnauser's are miniatures the extra space would sure be nice specially if they cuddle in bed with you in the morn!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
There are differences...others can tell you more. But, this past weekend, I was in my 17B and camped next to a 19 with U-shaped dinette. I know you shouldn't covet thy neighbor's Escape...but I'm guilty. The larger bed and dinette just make for a roomier experience. Now granted, I wasn't a camping person prior to my 17B. So, I was going from a large bedroom with a king size bed to the 17B. Many of the camping folks I talked with have gone from tents to 17' Casita's, Escapes and think the smaller camper has plenty of space.
gelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelayne View Post
There are differences...others can tell you more. But, this past weekend, I was in my 17B and camped next to a 19 with U-shaped dinette. I know you shouldn't covet thy neighbor's Escape...but I'm guilty. The larger bed and dinette just make for a roomier experience. Now granted, I wasn't a camping person prior to my 17B. So, I was going from a large bedroom with a king size bed to the 17B. Many of the camping folks I talked with have gone from tents to 17' Casita's, Escapes and think the smaller camper has plenty of space.
I thought I saw you looking at my trailers wheels!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Spend a few minutes in both of them. Only way to really get a sense of the difference. Either is a fine trailer. I can tell you this though - we ordered a 17, had the build sheet pretty much done, and were "certain" it was the right one for us. Then we made the mistake of seeing the 19. Oops. At least Reace and Tammy were gracious enough to let us switch and still keep our original build date.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I'd strongly suggest you contact ETI and see if there are owners in your area with these size trailers so you can look at them. Maybe someone on this forum will offer as well. There's a huge difference between the two and only the two of you can decide which is better for you and your doggies.

There's also the 17A version without a bathroom and it has a different layout than the 17B.

Heck, ask to see a 21 as you just might want one that size.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Is there any significant difference between the Escape 17 & 19 ?
I think it imperative, as others have suggested, to sit in the two trailers to see what suits you better. I spent a couple of hours at ETI trying to decide between a 15 (still made back then) and a 17 and am truly glad I did. Size isn't everything--despite what they say. And don't forget that the dinette and bed in the 19 can be switched if a rear view is important to you.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
The tandem axle on the 19 would be a consideration. I consider it a plus, but you'd have to decide if it is a factor for you! Good luck!
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Don't know how tall you two are, but there might be also a difference in height. Always nice to be able to stand straight up in a trailer.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I thought I saw you looking at my trailers wheels!
Glen was checking out your wheels, and my dinette...what a two-timer
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
We have a "classic" 17B and are very happy with it. That being said, a week ago we stop in at ETI on our way through Chilliwack to look at the new models. Because of the changes to the 17B it felt a lot tighter inside, they made the bed a bit wider which takes away some of the floor space. Also the new fridges seem a bit deeper, making the isle way narrower. I didn't bring a tape to actually measure the difference, but both my wife and I felt much more crowded than we do in our "classic". If I were to buy now I would go for the 19. That's just my 2 cents and as they say "your mileage may vary".
Old 09-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We camp with my buddy and his wife. He has a 19 and I have a 17B. When it's cool or wet, we end up playing cards or eating dinner in his 19 with the four-person dinette.
If you are camping with dogs, you might prefer some extra space ( pic is front dinette in 17B )

The tandem axle, however, is added maintenance and expense. Twice the number of wheel bearings and seals, twice the number of brakes and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Charly.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
We have a "classic" 17B and are very happy with it. That being said, a week ago we stop in at ETI on our way through Chilliwack to look at the new models. Because of the changes to the 17B it felt a lot tighter inside, they made the bed a bit wider which takes away some of the floor space. Also the new fridges seem a bit deeper, making the isle way narrower. I didn't bring a tape to actually measure the difference, but both my wife and I felt much more crowded than we do in our "classic". If I were to buy now I would go for the 19. That's just my 2 cents and as they say "your mileage may vary".
Also because the door is now straight without the curve , it does look to be narrower even if the width is increased . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Sunrisetrucker, you're scaring me! I was in Chilliwack a year ago and after much "sitting and perusing" decided to go with the 17B. It's due in April. Perhaps I should consider a revisit if you feel there's that much difference between the '16s and '17s.

I strongly agree that the 17 and 19 trailers have completely different "feels". The 19 reminded me more of a 23' "stickie" I owned previously, while the 17 felt more like my old 13' Boler - kind of "cave-like", but in a good and cozy way. Just me and 3 dogs, so hopefully the 17B will be ok.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:17 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Sunrisetrucker, you're scaring me! I was in Chilliwack a year ago and after much "sitting and perusing" decided to go with the 17B. It's due in April. Perhaps I should consider a revisit if you feel there's that much difference between the '16s and '17s.
Yeah, but that was long enough ago that you won't feel the difference, I'm sure. It'll feel just right to you since you won't have the comparison time that current owners would have.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Remember that there are 2 aisle widths for the 17B. With the 4 cu ft fridge upgrade you lose 4". Maybe you were looking at that one?

I'm not too worried about our 17B order. We are omitting the wardrobe to give us more seating space for our dog that likes to sleep on the dinette bench.

The wider bed is definitely a bonus for us as well when comparing with the classic design. Nobody knows for sure, but it makes sense that the extra bed space was actually due to the non-sloping walls in the 2017 model. It's only 3" deeper, and if you make the front and back walls vertical you will certainly pick up 3" to give to the dinette/bed. That's my theory at least.

I doubt this will be our last Escape. Sometime down the road they will probably make significant upgrades and improvements and we can upgrade to a bigger one.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Still debating between the two fridge sizes, too...
Does anyone know if the freezers are the same size in each? I haven't been able to find that anywhere, including the Dometic website. (Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread)
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
(snip) The wider bed is definitely a bonus for us as well when comparing with the classic design. Nobody knows for sure, but it makes sense that the extra bed space was actually due to the non-sloping walls in the 2017 model. It's only 3" deeper, and if you make the front and back walls vertical you will certainly pick up 3" to give to the dinette/bed. That's my theory at least
When I was at ETI a few months back with one of my cellular shades to see how they'd look against the new frameless windows, Reace helped me and took me inside a trailer that was in production. He commented that the front and back walls are still curved, so the blinds would hang out a bit, as opposed to hanging straight on the windows on the side walls. and yeah, the blind did hang out when I put it against the front window on the 19 that I was inside of.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Jude,
We have a 17A (no bathroom; porta-potty in cabinet under the permanent bed).
For our style of camping , it works.
We had several criteria that led us to pick the 17, even though the only Escape we had actually looked at was PatandLinda's 19.
We wanted a fulltime bed with thick mattress (for my bad, and now old, back). The 17A mattress is an 8" queen, and very comfortable.
We wanted to be able to sleep four on occasion (mostly when weather dictates), to accommodate another couple we fish and explore with.
We are former tent campers who are used to using campground restrooms ( and then the portapotty at night ).
We are mostly outside; we're in the trailer to sleep, and hide from weather.
We wanted to park the trailer next to our garage, and the 19's coupler would have been only a couple inches behind the public sidewalk. The 19 is about 2 feet longer than the 17.
We have a Honda Pilot, with a tow rating of 3500 lbs. The 17A dry weight is a bit over 2100 lbs. Add our gear, full propane and water, tools, musical instruments, etc., and we're at about 2700 lbs±, which is almost 80% of capacity; perfect.
[ Important note though: don't let the tow vehicle dictate your choice; tow vehicles get replaced, but your Escape, with due care, will last for decades and decades)
So, the 17A works for us. If we had more room to park it, we might have considered the 19 a little more seriously.
By all means, do as others have suggested, contact ETI, and get some names of Escape owners who will show you their Escapes, and give their run-down on why their choice was perfect for them.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote