The Chilliwack Dash - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The Chilliwack Dash

We headed out to Escape in Chilliwack on Thursday. Great travel conditions, and was able to make good time. Beat Google Maps prediction of 9 1/2 hours by 45 minutes, doing it in 8:45 with a couple stops. Stayed at the Travelodge as the Best Western was full when I booked. Not too bad, but BW was definitely better when I stayed there in December.

Anyway, got to Escape for 8am for our orientation yesterday. Saw our trailer in person for the first time as we went through an abbreviated orientation with Roger. Most stuff we knew, but still lots of new and additional features we got to learn about.

Dennis and Nigel et al, did up a few last minute things, readied us for travel and threw in a few things I will need to do my thing as with finishing.

The drive back was very good, in fact you could not likely ask for better conditions smack dab in the middle of winter. We had mixed sun and cloud, and mostly dry roads, other than a few places that had skiffs of snow overnight. Traffic was moderate and we were able to do at least the speed limit everywhere, except we kept it a bit below the 130 kph (75 mph) speed limit on the Coquihalla.

Our return trip took us 9 1/2 hours, but we did four stops, including one to check the torque on the wheels. Two lug nuts took a very small tweak at 95 ft-lbs is all.

I am fine with nighttime driving, but it did take some good concentration once it got dark, travelling on the two lane part of the Trans Canada Highway through windy mountain roads, where the light snow covering and road scum obliterated the lines, and there was quite a bit of on coming traffic. Just had to make sure we drove between oncoming traffic and the snow bank on the other side. Once we hit Banff National Park and the divided 4 lane, all was good again.

Drove straight to a car wash to give the truck and trailer a bath before heading home. Pretty much docked the trailer, brought some stuff in, and crawled into the sack, a bit weary from the 19 hours of driving in 2 days, but feeling very satisfied that the trip went off according to plan.

Here are a few shots of the travel yesterday. I will take some trailer photos to share once it gets light out, though not really much to see that other trailers have, in fact less as a bunch never got done.

Here are a couple shots of the truck at Escape. In the second photo you can see the front building Escape is working on now that the former tenant is out. Tammy gave us a wee tour. It is going to be a great space for them. Offices for the sales staff, meeting room, lobby, parts sales, indoor trailer showroom, service bays, orientation bay, and more. Pretty exciting for them.

A quick stop at Time Hortons before hitting the road.

Here are a couple cell phone shots Lisa took along the highway. You can see road conditions are quite good. The second one is nearing an avalanche shed in Rogers Pass.

Here are a couple shots at the Info Center at Rogers Pass. Not near the snow we expected, but still lots of winter left for it to accumulate.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Why are you not still asleep!!!? Very glad is all went well, and it's a beauty - tow and trailer.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Why are you not still asleep!!!? Very glad is all went well, and it's a beauty - tow and trailer.
I have been up for hours. I crashed just before 11:00 last night and slept like a log, so woke up a little after 4:00. Lots on my mind.

5-6 hours is a normal nights sleep for me anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have been up for hours. I crashed just before 11:00 last night and slept like a log, so woke up a little after 4:00. Lots on my mind.

5-6 hours is a normal nights sleep for me anyway.
Cabinetry starts today?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Cabinetry starts today?
I wish! Unfortunately, I have a few other projects that need to be cleared up first, and a bunch of work to do for customers. I do plan to clear all that up in the next few weeks. I will still putter, and will do lots of the final planning before I dive in.

I do think I will get the electric heater installed though for working in there rather that rely on the furnace.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
New Rig

Jim
Great to hear your trip went well. The country you drove did not look a lot different as far as snow, than it did two years ago when we drove it in early June. We did not have the trailer on though as we had left it in Chilliwack for the solar install. Looking forward to seeing your customizations. Have you picked up your bottle of Christening Champagne?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 ta 2017 "Pied Beauty"
Congratulations, Glad the weather cooperated. Trailer is gorgeous.
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Nothing beats a safe but gorgeous drive home towing a beautiful new trailer. Congrats, many happy trails ahead.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Very nice Jim!!! Glad you two had a good trip home.
I will keep my eyes open next time I go visit our daughter in Calgary.....
Have fun with all the projects!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Congratulations on your new toy Jim. I am eagerly awaiting pics of it after you have made your upgrades to it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Can't wait to see what you're doin'!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Looks good with the white belly band and nice graphics color. Hope we can see some interior. Now you can take your time going back hopefully, if any snow.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Man! You are a road maniac. Glad to hear your mission was accomplished without incident.

Next, can't wait for updated photos! Will it be ready for Osoyoos?

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Holy moly ....you are a speed demon ! Glad to read you guys had such a good trip ! It looks awesome , beautiful combo .
Old 01-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good to hear everything went well and safe. Looking forward to the project.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #16

Thanks to all for you kind words. I will post some interior photos of it as is later, and will be documenting the things I do to it. Some will get done soon to make the trailer fully usable, and others will follow as I have time, and they are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Jim
Great to hear your trip went well. The country you drove did not look a lot different as far as snow, than it did two years ago when we drove it in early June. We did not have the trailer on though as we had left it in Chilliwack for the solar install. Looking forward to seeing your customizations. Have you picked up your bottle of Christening Champagne?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
I will keep my eyes open next time I go visit our daughter in Calgary.....
Have fun with all the projects!
You are welcome to stop by if you wish. We are in Brentwood, in the NW.
Dave
They get so much snow in Rogers Pass, there is usually still a lot left when we head to the Escape Rally. Methinks a good whiskey might be more fitting, and I a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Man! You are a road maniac. Glad to hear your mission was accomplished without incident.

Next, can't wait for updated photos! Will it be ready for Osoyoos?
I never did more than 10 kph over the speed limit on the way there ('cept maybe when I wasn't paying close attention). On the way back, pretty much the speed limit, maybe a bit over in 90 kph zones, and slower on the Coquihalla.

It will be ready for Osoyoos, hopefully a lot sooner too. Are you guys coming back again this year? It is getting hard to keep track of who all is going.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Must feel great to have her home!
Jim, what's the best source for checking weather/road conditions in BC? Do the have a BCAA road report or something?

Also curious if anyone in BC between Jasper and Chilliwack knows if any campgrounds are open year round/early spring?
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #18

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Jim,

Welcome home with your beautiful 5er! I'm also looking forward to seeing your projects, especially the toe kick heater which I hope to emulate.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 June 25th Escape 19'
Jim,
Congratulations! Your fifth wheel and truck look so shiny and new. Hoping you enjoy it as much as you anticipated! Whaahoo for you! Sea Star currently sunnyish Florida.
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Must feel great to have her home!
Jim, what's the best source for checking weather/road conditions in BC? Do the have a BCAA road report or something?

Also curious if anyone in BC between Jasper and Chilliwack knows if any campgrounds are open year round/early spring?
Drive BC has information on road conditions

DriveBC

and the BC Highway Cams

B.C. Highway Cams

A picture is often worth a thousand words??
I believe Drive BC also has the highway cams now.

Not sure if they are open in the spring but we stayed one night at The Silver Sage private campground in North Kamloops. Right on the S.Thompson River, nice clean place and very close to all amenities. I believe they have a full time trailer section in their campground so may also do spring daily camping?? You can check them out if Kamloops fits with your schedule.
Have not stayed at any other private campgrounds which are the only ones likely to be open early spring. We typically prefer to stay at the BC Provincial Park Campgrounds.
I don't think you will find very many open in early spring??
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote