The Escape is a crate - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The Escape is a crate

A thing about dogs is when you leave the house for a few hours sometimes you can’t take them with you. When we are gone there’s no one in the house but Josie. She’s smart, full of energy and when bored very prone to mischief, a recipe for big trouble. When we take out the Escape, Josie goes with us.

Long ago we had one like her so we know what can happen. Jenny was a totally nuts alpha female black Lab. Chair legs chewed. The mattress corner chewed. Can a dog actually be vindictive? We’d come home from work and I had to immediately take Jenny to the city park across the street where she could race wildly around in huge circles, on the ball fields, releasing that pent up frustration from a day alone. It lasted a few months, until we finally got a fenced yard.

We recently got another nut job, Jumping Josie the wonder dog. She was young and happy racing free out on the Rez but now is a rescued dog. There’s nothing this free spirit won’t tackle –passing cars, rabbits, the morning paper in the driveway, hats, reading glasses, leather belts, table legs, camera bags, my shirt sleeves. If she finds a way out of the yard (three times) I got trouble. I think she is part Staffordshire terrier and part bird dog. She’s so smart I think if it were physically possible she could tweet.

I don’t like crates but with Josie to save the house there was no question, gotta get a crate. It sits beside the bed. To our amazement Josie took to it right away. It was like she knew. When we would be gone for as many as 4 hours asking her to stay quietly in it was no trouble. Great relief!

She loves riding in the truck but how would she react to being left in the trailer alone for a few hours? Just couldn’t trust her. On a recent trip we brought along the crate. That’s a big deal since it’s big. It came as two shells connected and would not fit through the Escape 19 door. Reassembled, it took up plenty of floor space in there in front of the dinette so this was a real pain.

Inconvenience aside, it all worked out well. No barking, no damage. Once home I then noticed that for days after if I left the trailer door open and then couldn’t find her she was usually stretched out on the bed, in the Escape. She loves the thing. Sometimes if she heard me working on the canopy outside I would see her standing on the table looking out. This happened so many times it suddenly dawned on me Josie must be seeing the Escape trailer as her big, other crate.

Now, when we’re gone for the afternoon I throw in a couple empty plastic water bottles to chew, a toy bone, her water trough, close the door and she’s good. We all like our new Escape crate.
Attached Thumbnails
JosieEsc1.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Deep down in their heart (and genes), the canidae family are cave dwellers. You've simply provided Jumping Josie with one big, and really comfortable, cave to dwell in!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
A very smart dog, indeed. Cool story.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: MyronL... Lends a new meaning to the term "Gone to the dogs"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

...We recently got another nut job, Jumping Josie the wonder dog. She was young and happy racing free out on the Rez but now is a rescued dog. There’s nothing this free spirit won’t tackle –passing cars, rabbits, the morning paper in the driveway, hats, reading glasses, leather belts, table legs, camera bags, my shirt sleeves. If she finds a way out of the yard (three times) I got trouble. I think she is part Staffordshire terrier and part bird dog. She’s so smart I think if it were physically possible she could tweet...
You forgot to mention pulling out the black tank gate valve!
Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Yep, mine see it the same way. Surprisingly, Oliver, who freaks at fireworks from inside our insulated home, did not mind them nearly as much from the safety of the Campster (will see how he is in the Escape this 4th.) Both Cardis retreat into it if they need security and we are camping. (Jack has a crate inside the trailer which, luckily for me, is corgi-sized- he sees the trailer as a smorgasbord.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Our two big dogs are at home in our trailer also - night or day. They have also behaved well secured outside the trailer, depending on distractions of course...
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
My dog Brock, an American Staffordshire Terrier is quite mellow (thank God) and very comfy in our new Escape 17B. I bought it for him as well as the truck and a truck camper. Now we just need a few acres to retire to and we're good.
Attached Thumbnails
007.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Well, it is certainly good that you all realize that the Escapes are for the dogs.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thank you Myron. Read it this morning and it set me up for a good day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Well, it is certainly good that you all realize that the Escapes are for the dogs.
Ours certainly is. Coco moved right in and made it clear in no uncertain terms that this was her territory. She's a very intimidating attack dog. Downright vicious...lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That Coco sure is a cutie.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #13

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Robert,

I'll be sure to avoid Coco in a dark alley! It must be very comforting to have such a diligent guard to watch over you at night.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
My dog Brock, an American Staffordshire Terrier is quite mellow (thank God) and very comfy in our new Escape 17B. I bought it for him as well as the truck and a truck camper. Now we just need a few acres to retire to and we're good.
Come over to the Kitsap Peninsula to retire. Prices for homes and land are still good compared to crazy Seattle!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
We've "given up" the U dinette at night to Lucy the lab, lower the table, leave the back cushions where they are and throw her bed up there. With her own domain, she now sleeps past 6:30 (we don't!) She's looked up the steps into the TA bedroom, and those steep stairs are no obstacle, but now looks forward to HER bed being made when we turn in....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Come over to the Kitsap Peninsula to retire. Prices for homes and land are still good compared to crazy Seattle!
Island County is going up fast but also still lower than Seattle. And no bears.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Island County is going up fast but also still lower than Seattle. And no bears.
Lol! Yes, there was a bear roaming our neighborhood while we were at the Rally. Also a bear swam over to Orcas Island a week ago. So don't think Whidby is immune!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #18

Back on topic, our Kizzy was a rescue from a breeder so spend her early years in a kennel. When we remodeled our living room, we made room for her small kennel out of sight behind some furniture. It is her preferred safe spot where she sleeps most of the day. She also loves to go camping.

Thanks Myron for your story and a nice thread.
- Bremerton, WA