The longest 5 months... - Page 18 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #171

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Jim, ah the notorious Fastec lock. See our previous thread "locked out" when we first got our 15. We were just about ready to remove the door also. So...question. On removing the door did you take the screws out of the trailer side or door side and would you recommend your method for someone else? Thinking about removing door to insulate it. Thanks.

techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #172

Trailer: Hoping to buy an Escape soon!
Is anybody else now wondering about the now apparent security flaw? If the entire door can be unscrewed without having to open the door...what kind of security is that??

AimlessWanderLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #173

Been waiting for Jim to post 21 pics so I thought I'd share a couple of ours but alas am computer illiterate and my children aren't home to help lol but I did manage to upload them to the gallery under Bare Escape so if someone cares to post em up in here feel free and thanx , cheers mike
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #174

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessWanderLust View Post
Is anybody else now wondering about the now apparent security flaw? If the entire door can be unscrewed without having to open the door...what kind of security is that??
Or if they pick the lock, or if they use the same key (which is somewhat common, or if they break in a window, or make a quick hole with a saw. All things that are quicker than taking the door off.

My point simply is that I don't really think it is something to worry about, is all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #175

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
Been waiting for Jim to post 21 pics so I thought I'd share a couple of ours but alas am computer illiterate and my children aren't home to help lol but I did manage to upload them to the gallery under Bare Escape so if someone cares to post em up in here feel free and thanx , cheers mike
Nice pictures! Where were they taken?
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #176

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or if they pick the lock, or if they use the same key (which is somewhat common, or if they break in a window, or make a quick hole with a saw. All things that are quicker than taking the door off.

My point simply is that I don't really think it is something to worry about, is all.
I agree with Jim. While one doesn't have to make it easy to get in, all the precautions in the world are not going to keep someone out if they are determined. And what's the point of stewing about something that probably won't ever happen--camping is supposed to be fun!
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #177

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I don't think we ever had anything stolen when we had our tent -- and probably half the time our airstream was unlocked. if someone is going to go to the extreme of taking off the door, then nothing is safe.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #178

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessWanderLust View Post
The locks are really to keep honest folks honest. Don't kid yourself about the effectiveness of the security on a travel trailer. I am sure that if I really wanted to, I could grab the edge of the door on my 19' and pull it open by hand, even if the door was locked. It may break the door, but if I was a thief, I would not be terribly concerned about that.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #179

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
-- and probably half the time our airstream was unlocked.
I bet with our trailer, it is not locked 90% of the time. Can't be bothered to be bothered about things like that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #180
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Jim, ah the notorious Fastec lock. See our previous thread "locked out" when we first got our 15. We were just about ready to remove the door also. So...question. On removing the door did you take the screws out of the trailer side or door side and would you recommend your method for someone else? Thinking about removing door to insulate it. Thanks.
Reace suggested and I followed his suggestion, remove the door and hinges from the trailer, not from the door. When reinstalling use some sealant around the screws, which are square drive.