The Old 17 vs 19 Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #21

Hey,

Something to consider though the 19 Tandem would require a bit more room to maneuver , a single axle short trailer is believe it or not trickier to back and such with even small corrections cause dramatic changes. I think someone here also had their axles changed or flipped the mounts to give their trailer more ground clearance. I know you can on other trailers you flip the axle mounts from below to above but your vehicle will have to be higher also for a level tow. I would suggest solar and full cold weather package no matter which you choose if your parking in the boonies might help you use less Propane. I also believe someone here added supplemental grey water and fresh water tanks ( Not Positive on both) to extend their boondock time.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I listened to a friend arriving at a remote lake, towing his 17' Boler. It had so much overhang at the rear that he was tearing fiberglass off on all the rocks.
I don't think my Boler 1700 has more overhang than an Escape 17; however, in stock form the Boler is quite low. This model is now commonly raised (typically 4") by axle changes.

Despite being low enough that I am surprised that I haven't ripped the waste outlet off, I haven't had any problems, and it works great on the highway. I haven't tried clearance-challenging roads or campsites.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Just got this picture of a 17b mod, almost what we are looking for, removable V section and add a portable table to use as a dinette if needed and leave rear dinette as a permanent bed with drawers under. Just add a small storage cabinet where the closet usually goes to stow the portable table. Glad this is a doable option.
Attached Thumbnails
17b dinette mod.jpg  
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
I think someone here also had their axles changed or flipped the mounts to give their trailer more ground clearance. I know you can on other trailers you flip the axle mounts from below to above but your vehicle will have to be higher also for a level tow.
A conversion from spring-under to spring-over - popularly known as "flipping" - only applies to beam axles with leaf springs. All Escapes have independent suspension with rubber springing, so this modification does not apply, but there are other ways to raise an Escape.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I haven't tried clearance-challenging roads or campsites.
I was towing a tent trailer with my Subaru. I had to pick my way down the road, placing the wheels on top of the boulders. My buddy carried 10' long 2 x 12s on his roof rack, but didn't use them. Heard him coming from half a klick away.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A conversion from spring-under to spring-over - popularly known as "flipping" - only applies to beam axles with leaf springs. All Escapes have independent suspension with rubber springing, so this modification does not apply, but there are other ways to raise an Escape.
Hey,

Thanks I know it can be done just was not sure what structurally dictated it could or could not be done.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #27

I know others will disagree....but having just blown a tire sidewall at high speed, I wouldn't have faired as well with a single axle. Besides, that, the 19 is a great dry camping home.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I know others will disagree....but having just blown a tire sidewall at high speed, I wouldn't have faired as well with a single axle. Besides, that, the 19 is a great dry camping home.
The argument for single axle ( besides having to maintain half as many tires, brakes and bearings ) is that there have been blow-outs on tandem axle trailers where the driver was not aware of the blow-out and beat the wheel well to death with thrashing rubber.
Maybe it's true, maybe not, probably has occurred once, anyway.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One issue I see with your drawing is the refer has to be on street side now since the newer mold has the roof vent located there. Thus you will have to return to the stock 19' set up with front and rear dinette set ups.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
What qualifies as "off-road"?
I've got the high-lift which adds 4" but I think the RAV will stop before the trailer does.
I listened to a friend arriving at a remote lake, towing his 17' Boler. It had so much overhang at the rear that he was tearing fiberglass off on all the rocks. Quite a racket.
I don't understand how the high-lift works. The trailer is higher but the low point is still the axle isn't it?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I know others will disagree....but having just blown a tire sidewall at high speed, I wouldn't have faired as well with a single axle.
On the other hand, in years of following a few trailer forums I have never read a report of anyone losing control of their single-axle trailer due to a tire failure; I have read reports of people with single-axle trailers having tire failures and pulling over without further incident.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #32

Quote:
The argument for single axle ( besides having to maintain half as many tires, brakes and bearings )...
... and lower cost, lower weight, less sensitivity to hitch height, and less interior volume lost to wheel wells.

I do understand why the 19 has tandem axles, but it logically does not need them.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I don't understand how the high-lift works. The trailer is higher but the low point is still the axle isn't it?
The axle is still the same distance off the ground, but the axle is rarely the important low point. The axle/suspension is typically not the clearance problem with any travel trailer. People who find the stock clearance inadequate are rarely hitting rocks with the suspension; they are dragging the rear on the ground in dips, or hitting lower-hanging parts such as the sewer outlet or leveling jacks.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #34

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Thank you Brian B-P!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote