The real cost of buying a trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
And you will be paying for that added value with increased property taxes for the rest of your life, another hidden cost.
Nope, not in Oregon. It's not attached to the house. If it was, I'd be paying tax on it. Because it's not attached to the house, I didn't even have to get a building permit. Obviously your state is different.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The convenience of having the trailer at home is immeasurable. We are in storage and the driving time alone is considerable, plus the storage fees. You will never know what you didn't miss but I assure you that it's plenty. It will be very nice to have your set-up, Catchlight.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
And, in the off-season, the trailer in the driveway is our pantry. Had to go out there this morning to get coffee filters.
Serves as a spare bedroom and earthquake shelter too.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #14

Trailer: Former class c .. Deciding on 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
And you will be paying for that added value with increased property taxes for the rest of your life, another hidden cost. I opted for the pad only for that simple reason, my taxes are approaching $1,000/month and I did not want them to increase. I figure one of the benefits of fiberglass is it's durability, not like the SOB's we all seem to have gotten rid of in our quest for the Escape. So with electric from the garage next to the trailer and a 10' gate, I'm happy. Wash and wax in the springtime and I'm as good as new.
Now the fact my pad has been lengthened and made wider over the past 6 years several times due to the variety of trailers I have owned is another story.
Absolutely correct about the taxes. Any permanent structure.

We live in the woods...white and red pines are 110 ft tall. Lots of limbs, widow makers and snow...which means a peaked roof on a structure to protect the egg is a must!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you really want to feel weak in the knees... figure out how many nights you need to sleep in your trailer vs. a reasonable motel room to "pay off" the trailer. I'll need to live to 115 years of age... and I'm planning on it! But, the memories I'll make along the way cannot be purchased, they must be experienced.
When you retire, your nights in the trailer are likely to increase greatly. We will have ours paid off in three seasons if we keep going the way we have. I had estimated five or six when we bought it. Of course, that is one way to look at it. We would not be out there all of those days without the trailer. There is no way we would want hotel bills that high.

The other big advantage to the trailer is that campgrounds and the places that you want to see can become completely different from the world you had with hotels. Of course, in winter, we are back to the hotel world but it is many fewer days.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Absolutely correct about the taxes. Any permanent structure.
Where I live, the carport is considered a temporary structure like any purchased from Costco, Harbor Freight, etc. I'm not sure why... it has 8 three foot earth anchors and the metal is guaranteed against rust through for 20 years. If it was attached to the house... even by one bolt, the rules change. All I can suggest to folks is to not assume. The rules may be different in your jurisdiction. It pays to double-check. You may be pleasantly surprised. I was.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When I look at cost of ownership I look at two things. Net cost between what we pay vs. What we sell for down the road. With the high resale value of an Escape, we have a real advantage over the competition. Then there is the cost of money. In US, if you borrow money for it, you can take the interest off your taxable income. (considered a second home, disclaimer - check with your tax preparer) And the big plus for me - I stay in hotels all over NA for business and no locations can rival the campgrounds I can stay in with a tent or small travel trailer.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Another factor in computing the cost is that having a fridge and kitchen decreases the number of restaurant meals. Aside from cost I think we will be able to eat healthier
Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #19

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
Real cost

After 25 years of hotel stays, at least 2500 times, I prefer to not see another hotel room. Our children can find nice places to stay on line for $50 to $60 and we pay up to $70 at the state parks along the coast but we eat dinner out only 1/4th of the time, have breakfast, lunch and HAPPY HOUR nearly every day at the camp site. Also, we sleep in our own bed every night and usually never hear our neighbors. We have had our carport or as tax bill shows another covered patio just outside the house next to the garage where we can enjoy just seeing our RV's and dreaming about the next time we can use it. Considering all of the advantages of our trailer it would be cheap at twice the price. We can't wait for April, June, July and August to get the 21 out and really put it to use and ESCAPE the heat.
Jack and Nancy of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Its not about the money (you can't take it with you) its about the life experience that is priceless...

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote