The real cost of buying a trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Its not about the money (you can't take it with you) its about the life experience that is priceless...
I agree that you can't take it with you. The big challenge with entering the retirement years is that we need to ensure that we don't run out of $ before we run out of days. Spending wisely will enable us to enjoy those golden years without blowing it all on a good time.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
I agree with have to be wise with our limit funds in retirement as we don't want to run short. I am just trying not to stress too much about taking advantage of what I've worked all my life for, a enjoyable retirement...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Here's my pad. Not in the woods here. Just a few plants needed digging out. Once the area was flattened and the gravel delivered it took a day to spread it around. That was fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Pad.A.jpg   Pad.A1.jpg   Pad.A2.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I agree that you can't take it with you. The big challenge with entering the retirement years is that we need to ensure that we don't run out of $ before we run out of days. Spending wisely will enable us to enjoy those golden years without blowing it all on a good time.
I think this is the challenge for many of us. So tough to predict how long the money has to hold out, to know just how much we need.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I told my daughter that I had solved that issue of retirement planning... saving and spending wisely so you don't run out of money before you run out of days. She was intrigued and wanted to know my solution... Simple, I said. I plan to borrow off of my children and leave the debt to the estate. She was not impressed.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
My wife and I built a pad for our trailer in our back yard ourselves and installed a 12 foot wide gate to the lane and a 30 amp power supply for very little money. The photo shows Ladybug on her pad on December 20, the day of a small snowfall.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP7204sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
yea, its like having to predict the future, there is just no way to know for certain how long we'll be here.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
With my retirement date approaching days ahead, I find myself thinking about how much is enough. I do know this, you need to be happy with what you have unless your wealthy. That includes relocation, houses, vehicles, and toys. It's better to be careful than rely on anyone to provide your existence. I plan to enjoy this next phase of my life but not be foolish with what I have worked hard for towards retirement.

If your purchasing a RV for the first time, you better get ready for a lot of hidden cost. Maintenance, sales tax & annual registration, accessories, storage, modifications, camp site fees, fuel, and TV cost just to mention a few.

I like having my RV at my residence. It makes trip preparations much easier and handy dealing with maintenance issues. Sometimes I just go out there and set to ponder and plan for the next great adventure.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Catchlight... With that much fire wood you should have hired a pilot as well as the cutter and split-er. Alf
escape artist N'S' of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
A trailer is definitely cheaper than a vacation home.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #31

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I had a 30' Coastal Cruiser sailboat. Picked it up in Berkeley and would fly down to work on it a couple of times a year, sort of like cruising without leaving the dock. Saw all of the Bay area as well as the wine country. Over 4 or 5 years, took it south down the California coast to Ensenada, Ensenada to Cabo, Cabo to La Paz and left it there for a year or two. Crossed the Sea of Cortez to Mazatlan, Mazatlan to Puerto Vallarta, and finally back to Mazatlan where I sold it a few years ago. Didn't pay much for the boat, spent much more fixing it up and probably got back about 2/3's of my investment when I sold it. But the experience and the memories.... priceless.
Trailers are like boats, you don't buy it as an investment and you only gain the memories and experiences if you use them.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
As a current boat owner..."Well stated Buddy". No different from a cabin, snowmobile, motorcycle, hot rod, or an aircraft.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #33

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
I told my daughter that I had solved that issue of retirement planning... saving and spending wisely so you don't run out of money before you run out of days. She was intrigued and wanted to know my solution... Simple, I said. I plan to borrow off of my children and leave the debt to the estate. She was not impressed.
Excellent plan. Think I'll run it by my kids--then run for cover. :

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #34

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Its not about the money (you can't take it with you) its about the life experience that is priceless...
I agree. We worked and saved a long time in order to travel after retirement. We consider the cost of the trailer part of the expense of travel. If we were to take cruises and tours instead, the cost of travel would end up costing us more.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Another factor in computing the cost is that having a fridge and kitchen decreases the number of restaurant meals. Aside from cost I think we will be able to eat healthier
Very true. We don't eat out as much as with hotels. That alone can pay for the maintenance on the Escape. Also don't take planes as I used to so that is a savings. The Escape changed our way of life and I see that as good because campgrounds beat out hotels. That said, I don't mind the winter break and being in a few hotels.

One of the big unanticipated costs is time. I did not expect to spend anywhere near what I do time-wise on the trailer. Most of that is good fun though (I don't mean while traveling.). Looking at options and what needs to be done regarding it. Shopping for items for it. Time on the forums learning about it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... the rules change. All I can suggest to folks is to not assume. The rules may be different in your jurisdiction.
Absolutely... and the rules vary not just between states (or provinces), but between municipalities (or county). This applies to both what you can build, and how it will be taxed.

I have to suspect that tax cost differences are small compared to the other cost of the trailer itself and all those other expenditures that started this topic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
My wife and I built a pad for our trailer in our back yard ourselves and installed a 12 foot wide gate to the lane and a 30 amp power supply for very little money. The photo shows Ladybug on her pad on December 20, the day of a small snowfall.
Brian, the wire on the roof (sticking out of the snow)... is that the prewired portion for a solar panel?

Thanks,
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
A trailer is definitely cheaper than a vacation home.
Whoever coined the term "vacation home" never owned one.

We sold ours after 11 years, and though I sometimes miss it, I really prefer the freedom and lower cost of the trailer.

We can go many other places, and I never have to mow.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
I'm not complaining--just commenting on how much collateral commercial activity our trailer buy has triggered, and wondering if anyone has had one or more projects flow from their decision to acquire their trailer.

Have a great Christmas, everyone!

Brent.
(Note: we saved those great burls on the maple for a friend who does woodwork).
We took out the grass strip in front of the house and put in a gate so we could store the trailer on the side of the house. That project ended up including a new patio cover, large back yard shed and the associated concrete. Oh, and an outside outlet to keep it plugged in.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
It's true about the vacation home -- another roof to take care of, pipes to worry about when we're 5 hours away in the winter, taxes to pay -- lots of fun at times -- maple sugaring, our own pond for swimming and fishing -- especially when the 5 kids were younger -- but "something's lost and something's gained" -- we'll see what happens when we start traveling again.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote