The real cost of buying a trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
The real cost of buying a trailer

As well as the good folks at Escape, a growing number of local businesses are benefiting from our decision to order an Escape 19 (hatch date: May 5).

First, we looked at the RV storage facilities in our area and found them unappealing. Also, winter can be wet here on Vancouver Island, so having AC power for heat in the trailer when stored seemed advantageous.

That left our home as the best location for storage, but there are no flat spots on our lot that aren't wooded. Therefore, we just had a crew fall a large maple and two other trees whose top branches were starting to look like widow-makers (or widower-makers). We then paid two 20-ish neighbours with a hydraulic splitter to split all the wood while I stacked it.

In January an excavator will remove the huge stump from the maple, create a flat trailer pad, and widen and resurface the driveway with gravel. Then an electrician will run AC to the trailer pad, and install lighting up the length of the driveway.

I'm not complaining--just commenting on how much collateral commercial activity our trailer buy has triggered, and wondering if anyone has had one or more projects flow from their decision to acquire their trailer.

Have a great Christmas, everyone!

Brent.
(Note: we saved those great burls on the maple for a friend who does woodwork).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Faller.jpg (353.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Firewood.jpg (294.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Hey. At least it's not a boat.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sounds like you are set to camp in your back yard soon....kewl.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeppers, done that too. Gravel, asphalt, 25x18 carport, 6' cedar fence with driveway gate, support the local Camping World, etc., etc. Outcome... priceless.

If you really want to feel weak in the knees... figure out how many nights you need to sleep in your trailer vs. a reasonable motel room to "pay off" the trailer. I'll need to live to 115 years of age... and I'm planning on it! But, the memories I'll make along the way cannot be purchased, they must be experienced.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Glenn, you can see the closest thing to a boat that I'll ever own hanging just above the firewood.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Donna D, glad your "investment" is paying off so well in experiences and friendships. I'm trying not to dwell on the math. For us, the question was "if not now, when?"
Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I've got to decide if it's worth putting up a more or less permanent structure like the car port or just park it in the yard as I do now. The first costs, the 2nd doesn't. The escape is about triple the price of what I paid for my then new stick built so the 1st option may be worth the effort and cost.
Another cost will be getting the truck ready for a 5th wheel. Replace the truck cap with a Tonneau cover, and the hitch.

Neither is unexpected.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You can buy a cover (over and over) for the trailer. Or, build a structure of some sort for it. I added to my home asset by building the large carport. When the time comes, I can advertise it as having covered RV storage which is a premium in a large city. For me, it was a no brainer and has already paid for itself and will continue to add value.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
That was some big tree you cut down. Your woodworker friend will be happy to get some good pieces from that. And you also have a great supply of firewood. Your new Escape is going to be happy parked in its new spot. It is nice to be able to park on your own property rather than having to rent a spot at an rv storage lot.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You can buy a cover (over and over) for the trailer. Or, build a structure of some sort for it. I added to my home asset by building the large carport. When the time comes, I can advertise it as having covered RV storage which is a premium in a large city. For me, it was a no brainer and has already paid for itself and will continue to add value.
And you will be paying for that added value with increased property taxes for the rest of your life, another hidden cost. I opted for the pad only for that simple reason, my taxes are approaching $1,000/month and I did not want them to increase. I figure one of the benefits of fiberglass is it's durability, not like the SOB's we all seem to have gotten rid of in our quest for the Escape. So with electric from the garage next to the trailer and a 10' gate, I'm happy. Wash and wax in the springtime and I'm as good as new.
Now the fact my pad has been lengthened and made wider over the past 6 years several times due to the variety of trailers I have owned is another story.