The Road from Chilliwack to Osoyoos - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
The Road from Chilliwack to Osoyoos

ETI was kind enough to move our completion date up a week so we could attend the Escape Trailer Rally in Osoyoos. We now have our orientation scheduled for 8:00 AM on May 24. Is it wishful thinking to plan on making it to Osoyoos by late that same day? If we complete our orientation by 10:00 am, we will still need to cross back into the US to take delivery than cross back into Canada and make the 200 mile drive to Osoyoos. I have no idea about how difficult or slow the road from Sumas-Chilliwack-Osoyoos is. If the smart thing to do is stay somewhere closer to Chilliwack our first night, then that is what we will do. If that's the case we will make it to the Rally by Friday the 25th. We are excited that we will be able to attend the rally! All of you who have done the back and forth Sumas boarder crossing, or driven the road to Osoyoos we would really appreciate your advice.
Matt & Mary
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
No need to explain but I guess there are reasons like paperwork why you don’t pick up your trailer in the US on route to your orientation...or better yet just pick it up at ETI. Maybe you had not planned on staying in Canada? Leaving ETI at noon would be no problem to the event if you need to adjust your pickup arrangements.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember Reace telling me it was about a 4 hour drive from factory to Osoyoos...
Old 12-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
If we complete our orientation by 10:00 am, we will still need to cross back into the US to take delivery than cross back into Canada and make the 200 mile drive to Osoyoos. I have no idea about how difficult or slow the road from Sumas-Chilliwack-Osoyoos is.
The first part (60 km or 40 miles) is a high-speed divided highway up the Fraser valley (the Trans-Canada, B.C. Hwy #1) which you can usually drive as fast as you would want to tow a trailer... but that's only to Hope. From there is it is the Crowsnest Highway (B.C. Hwy #3); that's a primary highway, but it is not divided, it's generally two-lane, and it runs through mountains. I wouldn't call it "difficult"; I prefer "interesting". I think it's now mostly 90 km/h (55 mph) speed limit now, with some 100 km/h (apparently through Manning Park); most traffic runs faster than that on the straight parts, but there are lots of curves and grades. The section from Hope to Princeton is typically regarded as the most challenging, especially in bad weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember Reace telling me it was about a 4 hour drive from factory to Osoyoos...
That seems reasonable. I would have no concern driving it in an afternoon, and have had no problem driving it in either direction, in a car, van with trailer, or motorhome.
ETI to Nk'mip (in Google Maps)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
No need to explain but I guess there are reasons like paperwork why you don’t pick up your trailer in the US on route to your orientation...or better yet just pick it up at ETI. Maybe you had not planned on staying in Canada? Leaving ETI at noon would be no problem to the event if you need to adjust your pickup arrangements.
I hadn't thought of the possibility of having them deliver it to me in Sumas and then driving to ETI for the orientation. I am having ETI install a WDH so even if they were willing I don't think it would work for my situation. But it is an interesting idea. The more I think about it I am probably leaning towards staying closer to Sumas or Chilliwack on Thursday the 24th and heading for the rally on the 25th. We will probably feel less stressed / rushed that way.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
It's a nice drive , Done it about 500 times. And east of Hope keep right and stay on the # 3 Crows Nest To Hope Slide, Manning Park and on ward to Princeton . And By the time you get to Osoyoos If your tow is a itty bitty V6 You'll be wanting a kick ass V8 for that bountiful 21. Bon Voyage . Be Safe
Old 12-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
We did this last year. Our orientation was at 8:00 a.m. on 5/24, the Wednesday before the rally. We had a minor issue with our customs paperwork that delayed us getting back to Chilliwack with the trailer until almost 3:00 pm. After loading up our gear that we left at the motel, it was around 4:00 pm when we left Chilliwack and headed to Osoyoos. It was almost dark when we arrived in Osoyoos. No issues on the drive, just respect the speed limit signs when the road gets steep and curvy.
It was a long day, especially when we had to make up the bed and finish stowing our gear after we arrived. The trip seemed to fly by though because we were so excited to have our new trailer in tow and 4 days of great fun, great food and meeting new friends ahead of us.
Looking back, it would have been easier without the delay, but we made it just fine. It is a beautiful drive, enjoy!
Chuck
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Kinda fun drive, and I've done it with a six no problem at all. One can also take highway 20 in northern Washington east, but sometimes there might be road issues if there has been heavy snows over Winter.
Enjoy.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd be more concern that my brakes and my brake controller were properly adjusted. Lots of long hills with a "slow to 30 KPH" ( 18 MPH ) sign near the bottom.
Going uphill is no problem, as long as there's not a chip truck with no brakes coming down.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Lots of long hills with a "slow to 30 KPH" ( 18 MPH ) sign near the bottom.
Going uphill is no problem, as long as there's not a chip truck with no brakes coming down.
As with any two-lane mountain highway, uphills are slowed by heavily loaded trucks, downhills are slowed by poor-handling RVs crawling down, and in the valleys between them there are often tight turns. I look forward to the intermittent passing lanes (on uphill grades) as opportunities to pass the trucks, but they typically nearly catch up on the next downhill. There's a reason that the average driving speed is below the speed limit, even when running the fast parts over the limit.

Whatever your attitude toward speed limits in general, I suggest taking the speeds on the warning signs for corners seriously, particularly when towing. All of that is part of my assessment of this highway as "interesting", and I don't hesitate to take it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0
Hi Matt...We live in North Vancouver and have driven to the rally many times. We have always found it easier to drive to Manning Park and stay at the Coldspring Campground. There is usually a mini rally going on there of other Escapees enroute to the rally. It makes for less stressful day. Be sure you fill your water tank before hand as there always seems to be a boil water order on.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
Hi Matt...We live in North Vancouver and have driven to the rally many times. We have always found it easier to drive to Manning Park and stay at the Coldspring Campground.
Ah, but we, living in North Vancouver have to drive that miserable, boring freeway from here to Chilliwack, which is where he'll be starting from.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ah, but we, living in North Vancouver have to drive that miserable, boring freeway from here to Chilliwack, which is where he'll be starting from.
That's on the good days. The bad days it's a crawl most of the way.

Two ways of looking at it. Know you'll be tired after orientation, your head will be spinning and it'll be a long day. My tendency in that situation is to tough it out, get there and not have to spend a night somewhere knowing you still have a bit of a drive to do the next day.

Depends a person's comfort level which way they go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #14

Trailer: None yet
I prefer Highway #3 to the big Coquihalla highway #5. It's a much nicer drive. Most of the climbs have truck lanes so the speedsters can get by you. There are a few windy bits that are two lane and the speedsters just bide their time until the next passing lane 2 km ahead. When the speed limit sign has a black and white 'sunburst' around it and is accompanied by yellow flashing lights, take it seriously. It was probably installed after a few fatalities. I second the motion of stopping somewhere in Manning Park, or even a little after Princeton. It's much nicer than staying in Chilliwack. You could try and hero through the day to make it to Osoyoos that night, but your biggest variable will the crossing the border... twice. You can never predict wait times or officer temperament.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #15

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
gathering 2018

Maybe you could talk them into a day or two earlier As May approaches maybe they will catch up and you could pick it up weds? . It doesn't hurt to ask and it depends how orientation goes ? take a camera or phone and tape .Everything that you don't find easy to memorize .There's lots of Info and make sure your other half pays attention also . good Luck

I was hoping to go but we are going to be stuck in Florida for a few months remodeling Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #16

I think it's better to pay close attention to the orientation than to attempt to photograph or video and/or take notes. There is an orientation video on their site to refer to and you get a pile of individual manuals for the appliances, as well as the Escape manual.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
On our orientation, when the time comes, I’ll be paying attention to what’s being said n my better half will be taking notes n filming it. (She knows me so well .... what instructions I don’t need no instructions )
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
On our orientation, when the time comes, I’ll be paying attention to what’s being said n my better half will be taking notes n filming it. (She knows me so well .... what instructions I don’t need no instructions )
Good luck. I did the first orientation video with Tammy ( not the one now on their site ). I tried shooting during my orientation. Gave that up and came back for another shoot that took half a day. Did edit and then had to go back to reshoot portions of it. Video ran about 28 minutes. Link below.

http://www.rvtraveltv.com/?p=407
Old 01-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachr0n View Post
I prefer Highway #3 to the big Coquihalla highway #5. It's a much nicer drive. Most of the climbs have truck lanes so the speedsters can get by you. There are a few windy bits that are two lane and the speedsters just bide their time until the next passing lane 2 km ahead. When the speed limit sign has a black and white 'sunburst' around it and is accompanied by yellow flashing lights, take it seriously. It was probably installed after a few fatalities. I second the motion of stopping somewhere in Manning Park, or even a little after Princeton. It's much nicer than staying in Chilliwack. You could try and hero through the day to make it to Osoyoos that night, but your biggest variable will the crossing the border... twice. You can never predict wait times or officer temperament.
Thank you. That is good advice. Our orientation time is 8:00 AM on May 24 so I think we will have a plan A and a plan B. If all goes smooth and we can be back on the Canadian side of the border by 1:00 PM we will drive through to Osoyoos. If we get jammed up at ETI or at either border crossing we will spend our first night in one of the areas you suggested.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
The orientation is pretty straight forward I thought, although if this is one’s first rv I can see where it would be a bit overwhelming. Don’t hesitate to ask ur “orienter” to repeat some point. I found they r very willing to do that.
Also once u take possession if u have a long drive ahead of u, instead of “toughing it out” just spend the night at the CG in Sumas and start out safe and refreshed the next morning. Less stress, more time to enjoy.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote