the screens on slider windows - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 E19
the screens on slider windows

I was wondering, on the older type sliding windows do the screens also slide in tracks? Or are they stationary? If the latter, are they quick and easy to remove and reinstall if one wanted to route something through the window opening for a while?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I was wondering, on the older type sliding windows do the screens also slide in tracks? Or are they stationary? If the latter, are they quick and easy to remove and reinstall if one wanted to route something through the window opening for a while?
The screens slide in the tracks also, Mike.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yes, the screens can be opened as well, sliding in track.
Attached Thumbnails
Opening front window.jpg  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #4

That's great, thanks. I'm planning on buying a pre-loved 17B with no AC, and I want to run a ForestAir mini split (keeping it portable); the conduit needs a gap of a couple inches through the window. The sliding screen makes it easier.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #5

Windows either side of the rear dinette open. Mine is 2008 so the front also opens. If yours is later, the front window doesn't open ( because ETI couldn't get that window any more ), then the windows either side of the front dinette open.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
That's great, thanks. I'm planning on buying a pre-loved 17B with no AC, and I want to run a ForestAir mini split (keeping it portable); the conduit needs a gap of a couple inches through the window. The sliding screen makes it easier.
Sounds like a great idea. These types of units typically have user ratings all over the map so please let us know how it goes. For what it’s worth I did a quick comparison of the Forest Air unit versus my Fujitsu mini split.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post201654

Also, where do you plan on buying it? The ones I find appear to be available only in Canada.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Looks like it was available in the US at Walmart but they now carry the unit below.
Attached Thumbnails
37518945-284F-4106-9EDA-786C77314449.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #8

When I checked around in November or December, WalMart listed it for sale for about $800. Now I don't see it there. There is a place in Nebraska that sells them online, but they show it as out of stock. I'm not a Costco member, but there is a Costco in our city. I was planning to order one in April or May so I have warm weather to test it right away; that way if it didn't work I would have a return window.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Looks like it was available in the US at Walmart but they now carry the unit below.
Hey, thanks for that! I need to take a good look at this one.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Hey, thanks for that! I need to take a good look at this one.
Happy to help...please let us know your findings as the price looks to be a little better.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Just a heads up that this unit has a strange explanation about dealing with condensate. The indoor unit should be producing it with a cold coil to dehumidify, but they imply the line is plugged and then if the unit fills up then you drain it. That’s weird. Seems to me this should be continuously drained.

https://rollibot.com/wp-content/uplo...C-UM-Final.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
FBBF27B8-1E28-44A5-A05A-EA78178BBBA7.jpg   71416C1D-1C57-4D91-A072-3F579D640588.jpg  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #12

I guess they don’t want the inside unit draining all the time onto someone’s hardwood floor, bed or wherever they place it. Sounds good but an inconvenient idea to me.

I am not one for adding a protection plan generally, but with the high chance of line failure between the two units and that you are going to transport this unit a lot in a vehicle, I think the extra $77 for 4 years might be worth while.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #13

These two units appear very similar, and it makes me think they might be made in the same factory. The coolant line connection into the indoor unit looks exactly the same for both, but the instructions in the user manuals differ in one key aspect; the RolliCool says to close the latch slowly (and one user review complains that refrigerant escaped when he did this), whereas ForestAir instructs (and has a video showing) that one should slowly engage the latch to the upright position and then rapidly shove it the rest of the way over. I'm inclined to think that the latter might be important.

The other difference I see is the ability of the RolliCool to be controlled with a free phone app (which means little to me). And of course, the price.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #14

Wow...Now that I have watched the video I see as you mentioned that the cable can be separated. This makes it easy to stick it through a modified power cord hatch and install it semi permanent both inside and out.

I think I would have strongly considered this option knowing that I could pack the whole unit up and take it somewhere to get fixed or for a warranty claim.

Now if I could get one for that price here in Canada I would install one even though I have the roof top. Great for when there is only 120 volts or sleeping at night.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #15

Looks to me like the ForestAir can be ordered from this distributor in Quebec.
https://www.forestair.ca/en/fiche-produit-mini
It's a little more money than the Rolli but not terribly so.

The portability is what I really like about these. Besides using it in my future Escape, I can also use it while collating products in and out of bins inside my Hauley next August, when it's about 100 degrees F. After an hour or two in that hot trailer, I'm pretty miserable.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #16

Quote:
The portability is what I really like about these. Besides using it in my future Escape, I can also use it while collating products in and out of bins inside my Hauley next August, when it's about 100 degrees F. After an hour or two in that hot trailer, I'm pretty miserable.
Doesn’t look like they ship to the US though.

My guess is that the portability of these units are really not as great as one might think in practice. The quick connect fittings are not meant to be connected and disconnected many times. These types of systems operate at high pressure. If (or maybe better when) you lose refrigerant can you recharge it and even if you can who will do it?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:57 AM   #17

As the owner of a 17B, I have to ask, it may be small for AC, but where the heck are you going to put it?
Attached Thumbnails
Mess 2.jpg  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

My guess is that the portability of these units are really not as great as one might think in practice. The quick connect fittings are not meant to be connected and disconnected many times. These types of systems operate at high pressure. If (or maybe better when) you lose refrigerant can you recharge it and even if you can who will do it?
If I was installing it in my trailer, it would be a one time connection through some type of port.

As I did not know that the line could be disconnected, I thought from the beginning that the OP was going to use a slot and not a hole in the filler board for the line. This way the hose could be slid into the slot each time and the smaller of the two units passed through the open window.

I agree that over time you would loose pressure if you split it in two every time you camped.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

They don't have to ship to USA; my reply was directed to Eggscape's comment that he could see buying one like this... and he lives in Canada! Sorry I wasn't more clear. (Although I actually will be picking up my future Escape from Canada, so if I had to I could pick up a ForestAir at the same time! Not that I need to if I can get the RolliCool, however.)

I don't know if I need to disconnect the fittings at all. It depends on the exact size of the indoor unit, but I'm fairly confident it will pass through the window while hooked together. The thing is, I want something that will work with both trailers (why buy 2 A/C units when 1 will do?), and something quiet (I dislike the roar of the roof units). These fit the bill nicely.
(edit: the indoor unit of the ForestAir is 16"x16"x8.2". Glenn, would a 16"x8" object pass through your window?)

As for where to put the indoor unit, Glenn, I camp alone so it's not going to be as difficult as it would be for a couple. I only need 1 side of the dinette, so I can take the cushion off the other seat and set it there. Or set it on the table, close to the wall. Or if I want it near the front, there's also that cabinet top between the door and the dinette; I think the connection hose might be long enough to reach there. During travel it will reside in the back of the SUV.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #20

I'll have to check measurements tomorrow. But, you will have to check that the front window opens on the trailer you are buying. I don't recall when that window was discontinued by the manufacturer.