thermostat location in 17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 E19
thermostat location in 17

Regarding the location of the thermostat in the 17, could someone please tell me how high above the seat cushion the t'stat is mounted? It seems like the best place to sit with a back against the wall (plus a pillow, of course) and legs stretched out on the seat, while being able to look out the back and side windows, is to lean against the refrigerator cabinet wall. But will my head be up against the t'stat? I figure I need about 32" vertical. TIA.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 17B
27.5 inches to the bottom of thermostat. I don’t know how tall you are but I’m 5’3” and my feet reach the back wall sitting with a pillow behind me. And, if you have a TV mounted this is the wall it will be mounted on.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 02:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 17B
I think the wall there isn't reinforced, so I felt it flex a lot when I tried that. I just stretch out on the counter side, angled with a pillow behind me and my feet stretched across to the opposite bench. I have a pedestal mounted table. The counter height is enough to provide support for my liking and is much more solid. At 5'10" I can't stretch out lengthwise along a single bench.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicia View Post
27.5 inches to the bottom of thermostat. I don’t know how tall you are but I’m 5’3” and my feet reach the back wall sitting with a pillow behind me. And, if you have a TV mounted this is the wall it will be mounted on.
Thanks for that. I appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I think the wall there isn't reinforced, so I felt it flex a lot when I tried that. I just stretch out on the counter side, angled with a pillow behind me and my feet stretched across to the opposite bench. I have a pedestal mounted table. The counter height is enough to provide support for my liking and is much more solid. At 5'10" I can't stretch out lengthwise along a single bench.
Hmm, do you have the counter extension there? I thought maybe that extension would be uncomfortable to lean against, plus the whole thing isn't very high.

As a solo traveler, I'd thought that I would prefer sitting in the back and have my bed up front. This makes me wonder if I'd be better off with the bed in the rear, and sit on the bed much of the time!
Old 02-19-2022, 04:56 PM   #6

Yes, that's the location of the counter extension. It's normally solo or myself and my 11 year old nephew. I have the bunk beds in the front. We almost never fold down the bunk, just use that space for sleeping or piling stuff during the course of a day. He likes to lay and read next to the windows up there if the weather is too foul out.
Don't get me wrong, the rear seating area is more than adequate for a few hours of lounging about, watching a video or whatever.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:19 PM   #7

The info on the Escape website shows a rear dinette bench length of 52" (at least on the galley side). I'm 5'8" and from the soles of my feet to my waistline is 42". Even with a pillow behind my back, I thought I'd have plenty of length to stretch out my legs all the way. Is the fridge side dinette seat shorter?
Old 02-19-2022, 05:35 PM   #8

I measure mine at 51" on the fridge side (and I have the larger fridge which may effect measurements) and 50" on the opposite side when measured to the counter extension.
There's no reinforcement in the fridge wall until 18" above the cushion by the feel of it and my 200lbs is enough to significantly flex the wall paneling. You may not notice depending on your, ugh, personal statistics...
You'd have enough room to sit along the bench, either side with a pillow behind your back I'm sure. When camping I tromp around in sandals or bare feet a lot and prefer to keep that mess off the white walls, so I choose a different approach.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I measure mine at 51" on the fridge side (and I have the larger fridge which may effect measurements) and 50" on the opposite side when measured to the counter extension.
There's no reinforcement in the fridge wall until 18" above the cushion by the feel of it and my 200lbs is enough to significantly flex the wall paneling. You may not notice depending on your, ugh, personal statistics...
You'd have enough room to sit along the bench, either side with a pillow behind your back I'm sure. When camping I tromp around in sandals or bare feet a lot and prefer to keep that mess off the white walls, so I choose a different approach.
That's very helpful, thanks! Yeah, between the thermostat and the thin wall, the opposite side will have to be the one. Provided that I don't sprinkle it too much when washing dishes, I guess. Compromises, compromises.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:51 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We have the 17B with full time rear bed, inner spring mattress. Keep the front dinette setup all the time.
We have a 24” tv mounted on the fridge wall.
Have found rear bed very comfortable for reading, watching a movie.
The front dinette often used for reading, computer work.
We also got a Zerogravity chair and Clam shelter that is an additional place to read and lounge as well.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I wish I could remember who’s idea it was I copied off of on here, I’m sure many have the same setup for a 5.0 front storage addition.
A milk crate inside the compartment works great, but I had this not being used and it’s gives 9 extra inches depth wise.

They are in the tool section of Home Depot…
Attached Thumbnails
F1822434-A0E8-4C71-9374-EA18E8638A1C.jpg   DD2E6A6F-2021-447B-9B8B-692C31397EB6.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
We have the 17B with full time rear bed, inner spring mattress. Keep the front dinette setup all the time.
We have a 24” tv mounted on the fridge wall.
Have found rear bed very comfortable for reading, watching a movie.
The front dinette often used for reading, computer work.
We also got a Zerogravity chair and Clam shelter that is an additional place to read and lounge as well.
Bob
Yup, I have a zero gravity lounger and a 5-sided Gazelle screen room (sold the heavier, larger Clam). I have in the past used the lounger inside a travel trailer, in the aisle. Not ideal since it needed to be folded every time I wanted to cook or use the bathroom, but I do like having a recliner chair of some sort whenever I can. I know from past experience that sitting upright in a dinette or on a gaucho gets old quickly for me.

I'll have to see what configuration works best for me once I get the Escape.