Those with no AC, please weigh in - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape

Old 09-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the previously optional "A/C ready" package (reinforcement of the vent area to handle the weight, and wiring run to that location) is now standard, since the trailer structures have changed and the "ready" package is no longer listed as an option...
It was standard in 2009. #12 cable was run to the rear roof opening of my 19. Of course, that year they had to add a shroud to stiffen the roof to accept the A/C unit, something corrected in the moulds later..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19'-sold/2017 February hatch
We had to use the air conditioning in Yellowstone a couple nights last month. It cooled down during the night but at 10:00 at night it was still hot.

It may not help your resale value much but would sure increase the market if you decided to sell. If I was shopping for a trailer I would pass if it did not have A/C. I hate running it but it's not a option in the south. That said there is a buyer for everything.

Also the new digital thermostat controls your furnace too and is much better than the standard thermostat.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #23

Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Even without air conditioning installation preparation, there will be the same hole in the roof, because it is a common 14" square vent opening. If the trailer comes from Escape without the air conditioner, it has a common opening vent instead.

I think the previously optional "A/C ready" package (reinforcement of the vent area to handle the weight, and wiring run to that location) is now standard, since the trailer structures have changed and the "ready" package is no longer listed as an option... but of course one would want to confirm that with Escape. Even if it is optional, I would want it if not getting the air conditioner.
I would definitely want the reinforcement and wiring but I am mixed about having a 14 inch hole there if it isn't filled with an A/C. Since there is already a MaxxFan in another location and the 5.0TA has a big escape hatch in the front roof, an additional vent seems like it would be repeatedly redundant over and over.

What I don't know is if there is a location in the mold which outlines the cut out for the openings, creating a thin spot, or if Escape uses a fixture to locate the hole locations and cuts them out after molding. I assume the latter.

I'll probably ask sometime but if it is possible to not have the cut out I would go for that. Maybe then have Escape install dual solar panels where the A/C would have been.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Our ancestors may have been covered up in the sun for the same reason as those in the Middle East are today, namely, the sun hitting your skin makes you much hotter and/or seem hotter.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Dec. 22
We live full time in our Casita and plan to do the same in our 2027 21' Escape. We have traveled from South Texas to Whistler BC to Florida to New York. and have encountered a variety of weather conditions. AC is a must have and a gas furnace is a must have for us.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
As far as A/C increasing the resale value, I don't get the logic. If I spent $1,100.00 plus tax for an A/C box I won't often use and five years later decide to sell the trailer will I get $1,500.00 in increased resale value for the 5 year old box which is out of warranty?

Will the 9 or 10 people lining up to buy my Escape all decide to cut $1,500.00 from my selling price because I don't have a 5 year old A/C on the roof?
It's not so much that AC would increase the resale value. It's that it increases the saleability. If you ever sell it, you've eliminated quite a few potential buyers by not having it. You could however do the "AC ready", with wiring, etc ready to hook up. That way, a potential buyer could add it easily if you ever sell. Of course, saleability may not be a concern if you plan to keep the trailer long term.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #27

Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
I agree with the A/C ready part, except for the hole in the roof. Not having A/C would certainly eliminate many southern buyers but what does that matter if these are selling within a few days of an ad being posted? Several months ago a 1997 Bigfoot was posted in Colorado, the seller immediately got a call from someone a 3 day drive away who really wanted it. During those days he still got many people, including me, who were trying to buy it. He just stopped answering the phone. He said he could have sold 10 of them.

In the US, Baby Boomers are reaching 65 at a rate of 10,000 per day and this will continue for another 15 or more years. Many of them will be in the RV market. Escape has a very good near term future. A bigger issue is getting the government to expand the number of campsites available in the next several years.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
I agree with the A/C ready part, except for the hole in the roof. Not having A/C would certainly eliminate many southern buyers but what does that matter if these are selling within a few days of an ad being posted? Several months ago a 1997 Bigfoot was posted in Colorado, the seller immediately got a call from someone a 3 day drive away who really wanted it. During those days he still got many people, including me, who were trying to buy it. He just stopped answering the phone. He said he could have sold 10 of them.
It's very true that you can sell an Escape quickly - even one that has no AC. As for the hole in the roof, you'll have two Maxx fans. I would love that setup. Plenty of ventilation and reduced condensation too.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #29

I would have to pay for another MaxxFan which is an interesting idea, especially if I HAVE to have the hole in the roof. Normally it would be another passive vent and there is a very large one in the front on the 5.0TA. With two MaxxFans maybe I could do wind tunnel experiments
Old 09-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Quote:

In the US, Baby Boomers are reaching 65 at a rate of 10,000 per day and this will continue for another 15 or more years. Many of them will be in the RV market. Escape has a very good near term future. A bigger issue is getting the government to expand the number of campsites available in the next several years.
There have been those Escapes that did not sell for months with no A/C. One owner added it to finally sell.

The three big items people ask for who buy used Escapes are commonly the bathroom, insulation and thermal window package, and A/C. You only need one buyer and you might have one who does not care about such items, but there have been a few cases of it being a problem for some time. I would not expect that wiring is sufficient either. I think that many will want the A/C in place already and do not want to bother with adding it.

Keep in mind that Escapes are not just any fiberglass trailer. Escape owners IMHO are not generally ones who want to go out roughing it! A big percentage are retired and want long-term travel with amenities. They have often done the other.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote