Those with no AC, please weigh in - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #61

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you stick with 100 watt panels, you can fit 2 panels, the AC & Maxxfan on a 17B. The rear panel is the Escape installed 95 Watt GoPower panel & the front a 100 Watt Renogy Poly panel (the closest voltage match to the GoPower panel).
I asked ETI about putting a pannel in the front. They won't install it themselves, but I could see doing this aftermarket.

So, 3 pannels then (160 watt * 2 + 100 watt). Sounds good to me Soon, I'll be running my non-existant AC on batteries. :P
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Dual solar is indeed possible. Escape is installing dual solar panels AND a passive vent on my 17b! They said there was only 1/4" of space left over though, so things like MaxxFans, roof mounted Swamp Coolers, Air conditioners, etc are not possible with that configuration. I haven't asked them, but a Fantastic Vent might work.

I toyed with the idea of eliminating the 14" hole, but this picture convinced me that I wanted it. Lots of natural light at the ceiling (the exterior window light comes in lower), and the passive vent opens up much bigger than any fan since it's square, opens higher and doesn't have fan blades in the way. Heat rises, so the passive vent should help allow hot air to escape better than the windows when for whatever reason I don't want to use the fan.
Cutting the holes is mandatory according to a recent email from Escape. I can put in two MaxxFans ($350.00 for the 5100 or $475.00 for the 7500K) and I am considering that and using the fan in the A/C hole as the kitchen exhaust fan since it is right over the sink/stove area. I will probably eliminate the range hood (and the cutout for the exhaust although there isn't a savings for doing that.)

I will have the solar panel and also additional wiring for a second portable panel although I'm also planning to buy a small generator sometime in the future and adapt it for propane.
I doubt that I'll need a second panel for Colorado camping. We did a tour of our old camping haunts from when the kids were small and the heavily forested campgrounds were pretty barren. The pine bark beetle has killed off large areas of pine forest and the trees had to be cut down in the campground areas. No shade for the solar panels and lots of large tree stumps.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Canoecountry:

We have a 2015 17B. We choose not to get AC. Our reasoning was based (at least in part) due to our experience with our previous trailer (a 2005 TAB) , which we bought in 2007. The TAB had AC (a heat pump), which we used only once or twice. As you are probably aware, currently available AC units require either hook-ups or a generator. We almost always "dry" camp and find that solar is more than adequate to keep our dual 6V batteries charged. As we don't plan to routinely camp with hook-ups and don't chose to inflict the noise and pollution of a generator on our neighbors in campgrounds, AC does not make sense for us. Perhaps the best comment on the subject that I'm familiar with came from the FGRV website--in answer to the question of AC, the poster commented that his trailer had wheels. implying he could tow it to areas with cooler temperatures. This of course assumes that one has such areas within reasonable distance--which we do. Thus, AC did not make sense for us--but others requirements or preferences maybe different. Good luck with your decision!

Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #64

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We have been across the southern US in other RV's with A/C. But plain don't like an A/C running full time.

In addition to our portable, very limited use A/C, we have a hanging fan. Just a plain old computer fan which quietly blows a barely discernible breeze along the bed. If I had to choose between it and the Fantastic Fan, I'd choose the hanging fan. Far more targeted and effective.

Ron
This hanging fan is cool. What is powering it. I can't see any battery leads. Is it hanging by a strap or is it a rigid hanger?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #65

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Or, he could add a window mount unit as I have for those very rare times when I want A/C and power to run it is available. 88 bucks

Ron
Where are these AC window units available for $88.00?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #66

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
I asked ETI about putting a pannel in the front. They won't install it themselves, but I could see doing this aftermarket.
The 19 we picked up this past summer, has, by request, the solar panel on the front (ETI's panel), instead of on the back. And it has a little slant.
Makes a huge difference, as most of the time you back up in the trees. The front gets more sun then the back most of the time.
Very happy with it!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I added another panel to the 19' model it would be on the front window shield, which is adjustable.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
This hanging fan is cool. What is powering it. I can't see any battery leads. Is it hanging by a strap or is it a rigid hanger?
I tapped into the light and it can be unplugged and moved to another location or taken down for really rough roads. It hangs on a hook. When running it moves back and forth a bit almost like an oscillating fan. The very targeted breeze is good because my wife doesn't really like a breeze on her and I do.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If I added another panel to the 19' model it would be on the front window shield, which is adjustable.
Now that's food for thought!
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Where are these AC window units available for $88.00?
It was about 3 years ago at what we call the stealth Walmart in East Van. The one that Vancouver City did everything they could to block from Walmart having a store in the city. Good thing Costco vacated a building that already had the required zoning. Walmart said thank you very much we're moving in.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Dual solar is indeed possible. Escape is installing dual solar panels AND a passive vent on my 17b! They said there was only 1/4" of space left over though, so things like MaxxFans, roof mounted Swamp Coolers, Air conditioners, etc are not possible with that configuration. I haven't asked them, but a Fantastic Vent might work.
I like my MaxxFan, but it does take up space behind the roof opening, and it sticks up quite a bit when open, both of which are problems with this panel setup.

I see that Fantastic Vent now offers a low-profile powered vent which ventilates without raising the cover; it might fit, and provide effective powered ventilation, and not shade the solar panels.
EZ-Breeze
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #72

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I like my MaxxFan, but it does take up space behind the roof opening, and it sticks up quite a bit when open, both of which are problems with this panel setup.

I see that Fantastic Vent now offers a low-profile powered vent which ventilates without raising the cover; it might fit, and provide effective powered ventilation, and not shade the solar panels.
EZ-Breeze
Actually, I wasn't saying that the existing MaxxFan would need to be removed. What I meant was ETI can install 2 solar panels, 1 passive vent, and 1 MaxxFan on top of a 17b. Would be nice to have the front solar panel too, but I guess for some reason it's possible on the 19, but not the 17. I was told the bathroom fan would get in the way on the 17b.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #73

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That's a pretty interesting idea. Is the shield on a continuous piano hinge, or a couple of individual hinges. If it's the latter, I'd be concerned about the weight surcharge when underway.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #74

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just checked, there are at least 8 rivets holding the front panel onto a hinge on the front window, could be an option.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
We didn't get an A/C primarily because I don't like roof mounted units. And most of the time we're boondocking without power. We've traveled from Alaska to Baja and only a very few times we've wanted A/C.

Our $88 unit mounts in minutes in the window and for the few times we used it it did the job. And, if a future owner wanted an roof mount unit the trailers wired for it. So it's not an all or nothing situation.

Ron

I created a similar set up to to one Ron pictured. The AC unit cost $137 on Amazon and the shelf brackets were $3 each at Home Depot. I bought three brackets and end up only using two. I used the basic brackets designed for a closet shelf. They one end fits over the window frame and the supports can be bent as needed so they angle right on the side. The wood shelf is some cedar leftover from another project as is the piece of pvc we use to keep the window up. We carry the AC unit itself in the back of the truck.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:21 PM   #76

Trailer: E19
Could you provide the name of the fan in the picture on your post? We just spent a very hot several days at Mount Rainier and found that the Maxx fan did not cool the bed area. We discussed a hanging fan for the bed area, as you described. Thank you.
Jean and Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:41 PM   #77
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean and Dale View Post
Could you provide the name of the fan in the picture on your post? We just spent a very hot several days at Mount Rainier and found that the Maxx fan did not cool the bed area. We discussed a hanging fan for the bed area, as you described. Thank you.
4 page long thread from 7 years ago... who are you asking?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:50 PM   #78

Trailer: E19
Ron in BC. His post was dated 2016.
Jean and Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:55 PM   #79

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
I wouldn't buy a trailer without an AC...but then again, I live in South Texas. We use it for stops along the way even when traveling to cooler places. Rarely used during the day even in hot places, but I sure enjoy sleeping at 65 degrees.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:55 PM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean and Dale View Post
Ron in BC. His post was dated 2016.
he says thats a computer fan, so its something he built himself, using a fan like https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-redux-...dp/B07CG2PGY6/

(120mm fan is about 5" square, 1 inch thick)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote