Those with no AC, please weigh in - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Dual solar is indeed possible. Escape is installing dual solar panels AND a passive vent on my 17b! They said there was only 1/4" of space left over though, so things like MaxxFans, roof mounted Swamp Coolers, Air conditioners, etc are not possible with that configuration. I haven't asked them, but a Fantastic Vent might work.
I like my MaxxFan, but it does take up space behind the roof opening, and it sticks up quite a bit when open, both of which are problems with this panel setup.

I see that Fantastic Vent now offers a low-profile powered vent which ventilates without raising the cover; it might fit, and provide effective powered ventilation, and not shade the solar panels.
EZ-Breeze

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #72

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I like my MaxxFan, but it does take up space behind the roof opening, and it sticks up quite a bit when open, both of which are problems with this panel setup.

I see that Fantastic Vent now offers a low-profile powered vent which ventilates without raising the cover; it might fit, and provide effective powered ventilation, and not shade the solar panels.
EZ-Breeze
Actually, I wasn't saying that the existing MaxxFan would need to be removed. What I meant was ETI can install 2 solar panels, 1 passive vent, and 1 MaxxFan on top of a 17b. Would be nice to have the front solar panel too, but I guess for some reason it's possible on the 19, but not the 17. I was told the bathroom fan would get in the way on the 17b.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #73

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If I added another panel to the 19' model it would be on the front window shield, which is adjustable.
That's a pretty interesting idea. Is the shield on a continuous piano hinge, or a couple of individual hinges. If it's the latter, I'd be concerned about the weight surcharge when underway.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I just checked, there are at least 8 rivets holding the front panel onto a hinge on the front window, could be an option.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We didn't get an A/C primarily because I don't like roof mounted units. And most of the time we're boondocking without power. We've traveled from Alaska to Baja and only a very few times we've wanted A/C.

Our $88 unit mounts in minutes in the window and for the few times we used it it did the job. And, if a future owner wanted an roof mount unit the trailers wired for it. So it's not an all or nothing situation.

Ron

I created a similar set up to to one Ron pictured. The AC unit cost $137 on Amazon and the shelf brackets were $3 each at Home Depot. I bought three brackets and end up only using two. I used the basic brackets designed for a closet shelf. They one end fits over the window frame and the supports can be bent as needed so they angle right on the side. The wood shelf is some cedar leftover from another project as is the piece of pvc we use to keep the window up. We carry the AC unit itself in the back of the truck.

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote