Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’ - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’

This was just posted on a Facebook page I follow. I know nothing about this.. but, I know some folks are concerned and thought they'd find it of value. It will be up to the user to determine if the cost, etc. is worth it.

Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’ | Gear Junkie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spot.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	11190

If you don't think technology can help... also on Facebook, there was a post of a beautiful, classic Airstream that was stolen. The owners had left an old iPad in the trailer... the battery was dead. But, when the thief powered the iPad back up, the owner of the Airstream was able to find the trailer because of the "Find my..." app that was part of the iPad. Something to think about. SCORE for the owners of the Airstream, booo on the thiefs... they're in jail.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have a Spot Device we use for emergency communication while in the backcountry. The units require a clear view of the sky, requiring they be mounted on the roof I suppose. Wonder how weatherproof they are. We have elected to use this : Rittenhouse | Heavy Duty Wheel Lock - Boot Wheel Lock | Rittenhouse
We had to have a welder to modify it to fit the shallow dish wheels on Escapes, however.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Funny you should post that about an Airstream trailer being stolen because in today's KC Star, there is an article about a 1962 26' Airstream Overlander that was stolen Friday night from a business lot. The owners had just finished restoring it and had new counter tops installed and this was the business it was stolen from. And there was a hitch lock on it too. I would think this is a pretty big article to hide plus it is all polished and gleams. And yet I have wondered about leaving the trailer in a campground while you go sightseeing, into town, or whatever. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Funny you should post that about an Airstream trailer being stolen because in today's KC Star, there is an article about a 1962 26' Airstream Overlander that was stolen Friday night from a business lot. The owners had just finished restoring it and had new counter tops installed and this was the business it was stolen from. And there was a hitch lock on it too. I would think this is a pretty big article to hide plus it is all polished and gleams. And yet I have wondered about leaving the trailer in a campground while you go sightseeing, into town, or whatever. Loren
THAT is the trailer that was posted on Facebook!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Young fellow in Ontario left his iPhone in a taxi. He used "find my" to locate his phone in a Mazda occupied by three people. Struggle ensued and he was shot dead. However police did locate the iPhone.
Point being, not to try to take care of business on your own.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...lice-1.3115069
Old 06-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I'm waiting to see a C-4 app for the iPhone. When the thief opens THAT one, the phone blows up in his face...I guess the owner would need to be pretty careful, though.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition

All you need IMHO....made in Nanaimo, BC- sold at Westar in Chilliwack
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #8

Or at least this.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

Or at least this.
Somewhere on the interweb there is a video of a vendor showing how easy it is to disable this and many other locking devices. As I recall this one took just a few seconds! The hitch devices that work somewhat are those that encase the lock inside a loose fitting steel case. Also the "boot" type locks you and I have posted require that you winch the trailer onto a flatbed to move it.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
All you need IMHO....made in Nanaimo, BC- sold at Westar in Chilliwack
A boot is very effective in preventing vehicle theft. In all the cases of vehicle theft I investigated when I was in las enforcement, not a single one had a boot. Thieves simply move on. The hitch lock on the other hand, doesn't even have to be defeated. They just chain up the receiver to the tow vehicle without attaching the ball, and away they go. They deal with the hitch lock later. If it gives you peace of mind, then go ahead. If you want serious security, the boot is far better.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This was just posted on a Facebook page I follow. I know nothing about this.. but, I know some folks are concerned and thought they'd find it of value. It will be up to the user to determine if the cost, etc. is worth it.

Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’ | Gear Junkie

Attachment 11190

If you don't think technology can help... also on Facebook, there was a post of a beautiful, classic Airstream that was stolen. The owners had left an old iPad in the trailer... the battery was dead. But, when the thief powered the iPad back up, the owner of the Airstream was able to find the trailer because of the "Find my..." app that was part of the iPad. Something to think about. SCORE for the owners of the Airstream, booo on the thiefs... they're in jail.
These types of devices can work really well. I don't use this particular one, but I have a SPOT device that I have used for the past 6 yrs as a personal emergency/safety device when I am travelling in the back-country (canoeing/hiking/etc). The downside to the SPOT type devices is that you do have to have an annual subscription for the locator services, and it does add up over the years. My personal experience is that the locations given by the SPOT are quite accurate, and your device can be easily tracked from any internet connection. My SPOT device does require direct "line of sight" with the satellites that it communicates with, and when I use it, I need to make sure that I am in a relatively clear area not blocked by heavy tree cover or mountains. I do not know if the RV SPOT device has similar limitations, but it is possible that you could "lose" track of your RV if they hide it in a building or behind some other cover. But then, if your device sends out a signal on a frequent basis, it may be possible to track it to within fairly close proximity to where the signal was lost.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #12

Yardsale- you're right, and I use both when we're out boondocking or in some crime ridden place like W. Surrey(just kidding). The CA Immobilizer stores very well under the bed in two pieces with the flat side towards the floor. It goes in through the outside hatch easily.

While it technically is possible to drag it onto a flatbed, the design is such that it would be very difficult as the curved piece behind the wheel will dig into the pavement and create real problems. Anything is possible and with some rigs they could pick the whole trailer up as well. Since most thefts are crimes of opportunity having one of these will likely make the scumbags look for an easier target- like the Airstream I saw using only the Reese tongue lock.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
There was a follow up article in the KC Star about the stolen Airstream being recovered. It was found in a church parking lot but police went to an address where it was seen earlier and found several stolen vehicles and 2 trailers. I think I will be looking into some kind of an anti theft device. But where we are storing the trailer is in an industrial lime stone cave. It has 24 hour security. Loren
Old 06-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
... where we are storing the trailer is in an industrial lime stone cave. It has 24 hour security. Loren
And, when the nuclear holocaust comes, at least one Escape trailer will survive!
Old 06-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And, when the nuclear holocaust comes, at least one Escape trailer will survive!
Yeah, but until then;..
Aren't those limestone caves carved out by water from aquifers that are charged up in record rain years?? Hmmmm.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Yeah, but until then;..
Aren't those limestone caves carved out by water from aquifers that are charged up in record rain years?? Hmmmm.
These are man made caves that are formed when they mine out the limestone. Mining in these has been going on since before WW2 and the space is measured in acres. They leave huge pillars and there are acres that haven't been developed yet. The floors are paved. It is a constant 66 degrees and low humidity. Cost for the 21 is $850 for a year paid in advance. The only pain is that it is 45 minutes from home. Loren
Old 06-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
These are man made caves that are formed when they mine out the limestone. Mining in these has been going on since before WW2 and the space is measured in acres. They leave huge pillars and there are acres that haven't been developed yet. The floors are paved. It is a constant 66 degrees and low humidity. Cost for the 21 is $850 for a year paid in advance. The only pain is that it is 45 minutes from home. Loren
Wow! That is such a deal! And you're thoroughly protected from violent weather.
If we had that available to us, we might have gotten a 19. The 17 just fits in our beside-the-driveway parking spot.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote