Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’ - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’

This was just posted on a Facebook page I follow. I know nothing about this.. but, I know some folks are concerned and thought they'd find it of value. It will be up to the user to determine if the cost, etc. is worth it.

Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’ | Gear Junkie

Spot.jpg

If you don't think technology can help... also on Facebook, there was a post of a beautiful, classic Airstream that was stolen. The owners had left an old iPad in the trailer... the battery was dead. But, when the thief powered the iPad back up, the owner of the Airstream was able to find the trailer because of the "Find my..." app that was part of the iPad. Something to think about. SCORE for the owners of the Airstream, booo on the thiefs... they're in jail.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have a Spot Device we use for emergency communication while in the backcountry. The units require a clear view of the sky, requiring they be mounted on the roof I suppose. Wonder how weatherproof they are. We have elected to use this : Rittenhouse | Heavy Duty Wheel Lock - Boot Wheel Lock | Rittenhouse
We had to have a welder to modify it to fit the shallow dish wheels on Escapes, however.

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Funny you should post that about an Airstream trailer being stolen because in today's KC Star, there is an article about a 1962 26' Airstream Overlander that was stolen Friday night from a business lot. The owners had just finished restoring it and had new counter tops installed and this was the business it was stolen from. And there was a hitch lock on it too. I would think this is a pretty big article to hide plus it is all polished and gleams. And yet I have wondered about leaving the trailer in a campground while you go sightseeing, into town, or whatever. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Funny you should post that about an Airstream trailer being stolen because in today's KC Star, there is an article about a 1962 26' Airstream Overlander that was stolen Friday night from a business lot. The owners had just finished restoring it and had new counter tops installed and this was the business it was stolen from. And there was a hitch lock on it too. I would think this is a pretty big article to hide plus it is all polished and gleams. And yet I have wondered about leaving the trailer in a campground while you go sightseeing, into town, or whatever. Loren
THAT is the trailer that was posted on Facebook!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Young fellow in Ontario left his iPhone in a taxi. He used "find my" to locate his phone in a Mazda occupied by three people. Struggle ensued and he was shot dead. However police did locate the iPhone.
Point being, not to try to take care of business on your own.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...lice-1.3115069

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I'm waiting to see a C-4 app for the iPhone. When the thief opens THAT one, the phone blows up in his face...I guess the owner would need to be pretty careful, though.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon

All you need IMHO....made in Nanaimo, BC- sold at Westar in Chilliwack
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon

Or at least this.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

Or at least this.
Somewhere on the interweb there is a video of a vendor showing how easy it is to disable this and many other locking devices. As I recall this one took just a few seconds! The hitch devices that work somewhat are those that encase the lock inside a loose fitting steel case. Also the "boot" type locks you and I have posted require that you winch the trailer onto a flatbed to move it.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
All you need IMHO....made in Nanaimo, BC- sold at Westar in Chilliwack
A boot is very effective in preventing vehicle theft. In all the cases of vehicle theft I investigated when I was in las enforcement, not a single one had a boot. Thieves simply move on. The hitch lock on the other hand, doesn't even have to be defeated. They just chain up the receiver to the tow vehicle without attaching the ball, and away they go. They deal with the hitch lock later. If it gives you peace of mind, then go ahead. If you want serious security, the boot is far better.